FX Maverick tuning.

MACTEN

Nov 18, 2020
IA
Last night I was able to start a tune on the Maverick Sniper .22. My goal is to have two settings I remember. One for the wife with either jsb 18.3 or H&N match if they work out. And one tune for when I go slugging. I found good numbers with the light hammer that came stock for the jsb's last night settling for around 900 fps for a starter when she goes to the range with me. The other slug tune is a little limited as I only have some NSA 28.5 .218 slugs at the moment. These may be a little heavy with the stock superior liner for accuracy from what I've read.
My slug goal is likely mid 900's as a starting point at about or below 60 fpe.
Well I got there with a 160/125b reg setting and the slug kit heavy hammer.
The internal HS tension is set to 6mm out.
When I got to power level 4 moving up from 1, I'm at 970 fps and when I turn it to Hammer power level 5 it's 950, PL 6 and it's 937.
I'm assuming the second reg may need more pressure with this heavy hammer, but I thought I would ask before tonight's session and see what people may think. :unsure:

Definitely need to either add more pressure, or to back down several turns on the hammer to see where it lands you once both are in balance
I may try that tonight. I like the 125-130 bar setting. If I can achieve getting the PW to actually get us from 18.3's to 30 ish gr slugs that would be great. Not sure it's doable with adjusting the reg every time.

I may try that tonight. I like the 125-130 bar setting. If I can achieve getting the PW to actually get us from 18.3's to 30 ish gr slugs that would be great. Not sure it's doable with adjusting the reg every time.
I can’t imagine it doing that wide of a tune on one single reg setting at least with any sort of velocity consistency with the 18 gr. Are you flipping the transfer port to the pellet side with the 18 gr? I know on my maverick compact that port massively cuts velocity over the dual. Near 200 fps if I remember correctly in a 500 mm .25 compact shooting 25.39. I think with it shooting 900 fps on dual side it went down to almost 700 fps on single port side.

Reactions: MACTEN
I can’t imagine it doing that wide of a tune on one single reg setting at least with any sort of velocity consistency with the 18 gr. Are you flipping the transfer port to the pellet side with the 18 gr? I know on my maverick compact that port massively cuts velocity over the dual. Near 200 fps if I remember correctly in a 500 mm .25 compact shooting 25.39. I think with it shooting 900 fps on dual side it went down to almost 700 fps on single port side.
Yes, I'm flipping the port for the slugs. Maybe I'll just convince her we need a second one.. :devilish:he he he

Reactions: Trucker3573
Yes, I'm flipping the port for the slugs. Maybe I'll just convince her we need a second one.. :devilish:he he he
For some reason I read right past the 2 tunes. Those two tunes are WILDLY apart. The lowest I could ever get my impact mkii to shoot 18.13gr pellets while making 63fpe was about 44fpe and it shot 18.13gr pellets like trash but the 25.39gr were not too bad below 60yds, beyond that they would spiral into oblivion.

Last edited:
Personally, I think you're wasting your time. You can get 22gr 217 FX/RMR slugs and anything below to work fine with one tune. Be happy with it. Heck you won't even have to change your HSA you can perk most anything along at 950+ and they'll just drill. The 22gr are easily good to 125 yards. Oh you may be wasting your time with .218's, they're truly hit or miss.

I have tuned similar settings my FX Maverick .25 VP (stock except carbo fiber barrel sleeve). What I have noticed that you can get heavy pellet/light slug to work (33.95gr pellet / lighter than 32gr slug in case of .25) in standard setup and get very good STD for both (I get 2-3 STD for both, with 34gr pellet and 30 slug and with exactly same settings). If you use heavier slug or lighter pellet differences in needed setting get too far apart. In my setting 34gr slugs (or heavier) is just getting too slow and for lighter pellets you have too much pressure for hammer and you start to get huge STD. I use slug port for both pellets and slugs.

Sorry to butt in! New Member from the UK .
I have some questions regarding my maverick sniper high power set up . Should I ask on this thread or start a new one? . It's about minimum power with a heavy tungsten hammer. Regards
Confidis
Ps is there an introduction thread I've missed?

IMG_20231029_153037_902.jpg

Sorry to butt in! New Member from the UK .
I have some questions regarding my maverick sniper high power set up . Should I ask on this thread or start a new one? . It's about minimum power with a heavy tungsten hammer. Regards
Confidis
Ps is there an introduction thread I've missed?

View attachment 413450
Yes, you should start off with an intro thread, also there are plently of tungsten hammer topics for the maverick in the threads, use the search function and you'll likely get more than an idea as to where to start and welcome!

Reactions: confidis
I've spent a lot of time with my Maverick in .22 and .30 with 10 different barrels that I setup for it. I would never set my second regulator lower than 148-150bar, because I can get the best consistency and efficiency out if it using appropriate springs and hammers for whatever projectile I'm tuning for.

Never shot anything lighter than 25gn from it, but if I were setting it up for 18-22gn ammo with a 700mm bbl for 900FPS, then I would probably run the factory hammer with either the factory spring or a ~14gr hammer with a shorter, stiffer spring with the reg at 148-150. I'd just have to see what spring and hammer combination can work the valve consistently for that target velocity.

Generally, the Mav valve can be worked consistently with the factory hammer and spring to about 150bar. That ammo is really light though, so you don't really need dwell - rather a solid and consistent hammer tap.

You could also get a different barrel for shooting pellets. My Maverick in .25 compact shoots 25.39 900 fps on 102 bar reg. With just a swap to 700 mm you could maintain speed with quite a heavier projectile.
I have a Heavy liner on the way and superior. I was hoping to use the heavy for me and swap for the wife if the heavy doesn't like 18-25gr pellets.

Reactions: Trucker3573
I've spent a lot of time with my Maverick in .22 and .30 with 10 different barrels that I setup for it. I would never set my second regulator lower than 148-150bar, because I can get the best consistency and efficiency out if it using appropriate springs and hammers for whatever projectile I'm tuning for.

Never shot anything lighter than 25gn from it, but if I were setting it up for 18-22gn ammo with a 700mm bbl for 900FPS, then I would probably run the factory hammer with either the factory spring or a ~14gr hammer with a shorter, stiffer spring with the reg at 148-150. I'd just have to see what spring and hammer combination can work the valve consistently for that target velocity.

Generally, the Mav valve can be worked consistently with the factory hammer and spring to about 150bar. That ammo is really light though, so you don't really need dwell - rather a solid and consistent hammer tap.
I do want a good shot count and low ES like everyone else. I may raise it to 148 and follow Ernest's HS guide on YT. I kind of hope the wife's Vixen outshoots this with pellets so I can make it the slug only rifle but she really likes the way it looks and feels. She's making me cerakote some parts at some point too.

I do want a good shot count and low ES like everyone else. I may raise it to 148 and follow Ernest's HS guide on YT. I kind of hope the wife's Vixen outshoots this with pellets so I can make it the slug only rifle but she really likes the way it looks and feels. She's making me cerakote some parts at some point too.
How well does the vixen shoot?