• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Maverick tuning

I just watched the video on aeac with Steve and TJ from Wisconsin air guns did a questions from readers segment. The part that interested me was a question about maverick tuning. The question was how would do set up a maverick from the start. Assuming that the ihs was at the factory setting of 3.11mm from the hammer spring barrel to the end of the adjustment screw. The interesting part is that TJ said he would open up the second regulator and start at the bottle reg around 80 bar and keep the second reg wide open. Then run the HS adjuster 1 through 7 to reach the fps you wanted to achieve firing a couple shots between east dial setting. If the speed you desired was not reached you then increase the bottle reg to 90 bar leaving the second reg open and again run the HS dial 1 through 7 and go again firing 2 or 3 rounds at each setting to check your speed. When you get close to the desired fps then you set the second reg to that reg pressure and fine tune with the IHS micro. He says this would give the best HS and pressure setting or the happiest combo for the gun with the least wasted air. I’d like to know if anyone had tried this method and how it worked out. I’m currently shooting at 135/105 IHS 2 1/2 turns out, 7 on the dial getting 885-900 fps with 33 jsb or 34 Fx pellets. I can’t really tell by the sound like the pros can to know if it’s the best set up.

I just watched the video on aeac with Steve and TJ from Wisconsin air guns did a questions from readers segment. The part that interested me was a question about maverick tuning. The question was how would do set up a maverick from the start. Assuming that the ihs was at the factory setting of 3.11mm from the hammer spring barrel to the end of the adjustment screw. The interesting part is that TJ said he would open up the second regulator and start at the bottle reg around 80 bar and keep the second reg wide open. Then run the HS adjuster 1 through 7 to reach the fps you wanted to achieve firing a couple shots between east dial setting. If the speed you desired was not reached you then increase the bottle reg to 90 bar leaving the second reg open and again run the HS dial 1 through 7 and go again firing 2 or 3 rounds at each setting to check your speed. When you get close to the desired fps then you set the second reg to that reg pressure and fine tune with the IHS micro. He says this would give the best HS and pressure setting or the happiest combo for the gun with the least wasted air. I’d like to know if anyone had tried this method and how it worked out. I’m currently shooting at 135/105 IHS 2 1/2 turns out, 7 on the dial getting 885-900 fps with 33 jsb or 34 Fx pellets. I can’t really tell by the sound like the pros can to know if it’s the best set up.
Tony, great analysis of Steve's tuning and details.
You have given us/me enough detail of your tune to say you are on the right tract. Adjust up and/or down accordingly, to discover the "sound" the "pros" hear/feel. Discovery of the tune for Your gun is the point. Being patient and methodical will yield results you can be happy with.

Patrick