Maverick regulators, how high can they go??

I don't post here as much as other forums, but given the FX community on here, I figured I may get a better answer. I was fortunate enough to locate a Maverick Compact in stock, and it is in route to me now! I've wanted this gun since the day it was announced. That 89cc plenum has been calling my name😁 Anyway, I'm a tinkerer, and I'll have it apart the day I get it. I want to see what I can do with it. I'll be playing around in there, and making parts on the lathe for sure. Mainly, I want to know how high the first and second factory regulators can be safely set without damage? Just as an example could the first reg be set to 190 bar, and the second to 160-170 bar?

I'm just trying to figure out what my maximum regulated pressure can be is all. Everything else I do will depend on that answer. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated guys!

Reactions: monstr2
FX used to say that the AMP regs could be run at 170bar max, but I think their official position with the Maverick is 150bar. Warranty is likely voided if you operate outside of their guidelines.

That said, and I'm not advocating that anyone follow my lead, but I eventually replaced my first reg with a Huma high power (140-190) and tested heavy .30cal slugs / hammer weight / titanium slug probe / TJ barrel with the factory AMP reg as high as 180. No issues while I was tuned that high, but I have had to rebuild that first reg 3 times now (twice with the factory reg and one rebuild with the Huma). The o-rings tend to wear out quickly the more you tinker with the regulators, so it's best to set them somewhere and leave them alone. 

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the input for sure. I'll likely get that first stage regulator replaced with the high output Huma at some point, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself just yet. I doubt I'll be playing around with the regs a whole lot, once I find their happy place for the tune I'll be running. This will be my first FX, although I have worked on some for friends before. I got this gun because it is the first one I've seen from the factory with a plenum that large, and I do tend to push them pretty hard on the top end, because I shoot slugs almost exclusively. I also enjoy hunting larger critters with small bores. It has been my experience that slugs tend to be happiest in the 1000 fps ranges, and that goes for many different types of barrels(including FX liners).

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like 170/150 bar will be the safe high power settings, right?

In the Manual for the Impact, I'm pretty sure it says don't go over 170ish... That voids the warranty. I don't have a maverick yet it's on the way but I don't know if it's any different. I would think though at that high of reg your probably shooting around 1300 FPS wouldn't that just start causing instability for such light slugs? With the impact, you can easily get 1000 FPS under 150 Reg. Hell, I just saw a video of the dream line reaching 960 - 1000 ... 

Basically you do not want to screw the adjsutement screw further than when it is flush with the reg body. Any more, and an O-ring will blow, and cause a leak. I would not trust the gauge if you plan to do so, but rather know when to stop mechanically. You will probably know that some guns will shoot slower if the reg pressure is set to high, as it depends on the hammer spring force on the gun. So high pressure is not always a good thing.

All very useful info. Especially the part about not screwing the adjustment screw too far. I'm not worried about having enough hammer spring to overcome a high reg set point. I can fix that pretty easily with weight and(or) another spring. I don't think I'll need to go so far as another spring, if I keep the 2nd reg at 150 bar or less. I know I don't post on here much, but I've been tuning guns for a few years now, so I am familiar with the tuning with a reg side of things. I'm only a newb on here, haha. I just wasn't completely sure what the factory regulator adjustment range really is.

Let me clarify a bit on my intentions too. I got the compact in .30, because that was what I could get my hands on. I honestly have very little interest in .30, and the barrel will likely be pulled after I do a little tuning and make sure all is functioning as it should. I don't have any delusions about big power with a 500mm barrel 😉 I'm going to make another probe on the lathe for .177, and install an Alfa Precision 650mm polygon barrel(that is currently in another gun). It takes a lot to move .177 slugs, especially in the 23/24 grain range, which is why I was wondering about the regulators. I'll tension that barrel with carbon fiber, of course. I'm sure I'll acquire a 700mm Superior Heavy liner and barrel set up in .22 down the road too. .22 and .177 slugs are where my real interests are. Although, .30 is legal to hunt deer and turkey in GA, so I may come back to that caliber later on as well! I will certainly need some barrel length and max power in .30, if I decide to hunt deer with it. Still, that's all about shot placement and knowing the limits of yourself and your gun.

Thanks again for all the help, and feel free to add more to the conversation, if you have some more info to give!

Ernest Rowe in the FX masterclass video says to go flush, when you are maxing it out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74OYozCEX5U&ab_channel=FXAirguns,

so it is probably safe. But I would not go further

On one of his old videos on the impact, before he started working for FX, he explains what happens if you turn it to far. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNmXuZ_iI0&t=219s&ab_channel=ErnestRowe

There probably is a litle difference from the old impact reg, to the latest AMP reg. It seems like on the old regs flush could cause the O-ring to blow, but on the maverick video it seems you can go flush. But do not take my word for it:)

Thanks for posting those, I watched those earlier during my youtube ramblings. I think I'm going to just stick to 170/150 for my reg settings, and see how far I get. I know those reg settings should be plenty safe. I know I can change out the first reg for a Huma that can go to 190 bar, if I must down the road. I don't want to put the cart before the horse though, because I could be perfectly happy with the results I get on the factory regs. I won't really know, until I can start tuning and tweaking. I can't wait to get my hands on this little bugger!!