Maverick Project & Initial Thoughts

Incredibly poopty day! I fixed the leak, but it took me multiple hours to finally resolve. It was dumping from two places - the atmospheric port and the top of the reg. The 7x2mm top o-ring was compromised, but I wound up screwing up the polymer reg piston while throwing o-rings at the other leak over and over.

So I swapped in a Huma high-power regulator in place of the factory regulator, they're built pretty stout and I had considered doing this early on anyway.

B05A95FD-7BDA-483F-9638-F8CC516B2BB2.1608853855.jpeg

Then, I encountered another leak from the top of the reg. It turns out, the Huma shipped with a 7x1.5mm outer o-ring, which is too small. I swapped in a 7x2mm, crossed my fingers and reinstalled the bottle - and then encountered and entirely new leak coming from the fixed fill port!!! That one was a head scratcher.. I put a 14mm wrench on it, but it was bottomed out already. I loosened it and snugged it back down, and it stopped leaking when I attempted to fill again.

At this point, I realized that I missed my window to drive an hour and a half out to test my new hammer weight and another barrel that I machined, so I just decided to do a bunch of chronograph tests to break in / test the new reg, and to see how my rifle was performing. Sure enough, my bad luck was still with me and I terminated my beloved LMBR chrono:

1BB5EF67-53B9-4AFC-96BD-16F8CBAD67A5.1608853803.jpeg

I'm livid after all this!!!!

mntghost, so sorry man. That sucks. 

I hear knitting needles help to "re-center" you...Just what heard.

I most definitely will. I have nothing against the FX barrel systems, and their quality continues to improve.

Two more bbls to play around with. One is 26" and the other is just shy of 28"

6BB47401-7F19-4E1F-A7DB-580D2DF82E91.1608924656.jpeg

80A875A6-A9E0-4F47-AD41-8B94EFCE1921.1608924619.jpeg

Maybe fx will notice how much the carbon tube helps and start wrapping them proof research style? I see that being the next big step in barrels. 

I machined some additional barrels for this Maverick, one is just under 600mm and the second somehow turned out to be 700.085mm lol. I'm going to test them both tomorrow with larger slugs to see if they need the tensioned shroud that I made for them.

Here is the big guy:

F3E604DB-1BAA-4907-9F05-D69BAA2C247E.1609466627.jpeg
E207168C-F7E4-4148-B1AA-F0CC069985D7.1609466627.jpeg
ECD43B19-818B-4764-B11A-2789A38D07E5.1609466628.jpeg

Preliminary testing with this long barrel - shooting 65.5gr NSAs at 920fps (using my hammer weight and the factory spring, but I might ditch these and run a completely different spring and heavier weight as I'm already seeing VDT problems).

Great write-up on the Maverick. It looks like a nice platform to work with.

Have you thought about making a barrel support system in the front to control barrel movement, harmonics, or droop? My Impact barrel moves significantly at the front block where the o-ring resides when it's in the case or even sitting with the barrel against the wall. I was thinking of making a plate with a beveled hole that sandwiches an o-ring or a beveled soft plastic ring tightly to the barrel and block, tensioning it evenly and solidly. There's plenty of room to drill and tap the front block to mount it there and it wouldn't even be seen. The same looks like it would work on the Maverick.

As far as the single grub screw holding the breech end of the barrel goes, I drilled and tapped a second hole across from the original to give pressure on both sides of the barrel and locking it down that way.
Did you make a barrel holder for the maverick?

No I did not. Are you trying to engineer a barrel positioning tensioning system for the Maverick?
Yes i do, i tried to just tension the barrel with adding a piece of aluminum to fill the gap behind the end of the shroud and ended up with pulling the entire barrel out! Making a trail in the transferport piece and the barrel attachment piece.
the barrel must be held in place first so when you tension it you don't pull it out.
Though it's hard to copy the fx impact barrel holder to fit the maverick, huma did it but it's so expensive for me and also not available in my country.

Yes i do, i tried to just tension the barrel with adding a piece of aluminum to fill the gap behind the end of the shroud and ended up with pulling the entire barrel out! Making a trail in the transferport piece and the barrel attachment piece.
the barrel must be held in place first so when you tension it you don't pull it out.
Though it's hard to copy the fx impact barrel holder to fit the maverick, huma did it but it's so expensive for me and also not available in my country.
This is what I would do to secure the barrel to prevent impact shifts...

Add two grub screws to both sides at arrows 1 & 2.

Add extruded 90 duro urethane o-rings to the barrel and support blocks.

Add a tension ring or grub screws to block at arrow 3.

The tension ring would lock the barrel in place with the front block. A layer or two of clear tape on the barrel that takes up this space as the barrel is pushed into the blocks would work easily enough.

Screenshot_20240208-194131~3.png

Reactions: Maverick01
This is what I would do to secure the barrel to prevent impact shifts...

Add two grub screws to both sides at arrows 1 & 2.

Add extruded 90 duro urethane o-rings to the barrel and support blocks.

Add a tension ring or grub screws to block at arrow 3.

The tension ring would lock the barrel in place with the front block. A layer or two of clear tape on the barrel that takes up this space as the barrel is pushed into the blocks would work easily enough.
Yeah I solved for that a couple of years ago (it's still going strong)..

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Here's my FX Maverick Compact .30 as it sits currently..

View attachment 132635View attachment 132644

View attachment 132656
I'm running a 502mm TJ barrel (1:26" twist), chambered for smaller slugs and diabolo pellets. I was going to cut o-ring grooves to keep it a solid one-piece design, but I decided to cut the M12 x 1mm pitch with my lathe to run the brass Huma high-flow TP. Zero harmonic issues, CrMoly steel barrel is very stiff, so I don't see needing a shrouded protector for this length. Running a custom LDC that Neil Clague made for me (I highly recommend him for custom work!).

I also made a bottle cover from a repurposed neoprene fire extinguisher holder (with nylon reinforced Velcro straps). It works very well, the bottle gets ice cold this time of year, so it makes it less painful to handle (and puts my mind at ease in the field knowing that it has some form of protection).

Anyways, my initial feedback and feelings for this Maverick.. first, I got off to a bumpy start with this thing. There was ridiculous latency getting my order shipped, then I found the hard way that there were interference issues due to tolerance problems with the bipod rail + CF bottle (and defaced my bottle the first time that I went to remove it). Now, if I didn't like this rifle - I would be seriously pissed, but so far this thing has impressed me enough to merit my personal time!

So let me begin with what I like...

1. Size & weight - very manageable for me as a hunter. I have no interest in long, bulky, heavy guns. They don't appeal to me at all. I hunt in steep, slippery, unforgiving terrain, and carrying around a long cinder block in the mountains is not an enjoyable experience. The Maverick Compact is all good in this regard.

2. Adjustability - having adjustable external regulator(s) lends itself to being able to use different types of ammo efficiently. With my Taipans and EVOL, my tuning strategy is simple, but I sacrifice shots. I crank up the reg up as high as I need to for the heaviest projectile that I'm going to shoot with the rifle, and I manage the hammer energy for lighter. Accuracy isn't affected by this, but I definitely lose access to some shots after falling off the reg. External adjustment naturally solves that issue.

3. Shot count - it's pretty good. Having a decent "high-power" shot count is an important requirement for me, thus the platform should be efficient.

4. Accuracy - stellar with pellets (abysmal with slugs, but I'll get to that). The FX Superior Std 500mm in my rifle prefers 44.75gr JSBs. I bonded a carbon fiber sleeve to the liner, modified the pellet probe to unblock the airflow, and I'm running a Huma high flow transfer port on the barrel. This gives me 905fps at 150bar, but I run the 44gr closer to 890fps at just under 145bar for maximizing shot count. With this tune, it shoots sub-MOA @100y all day long!

5. Ergonomics - comfortable to shoot out of the box. The Impact was one of the most uncomfortable rifles that I have ever shot. To remedy that, I had to add almost 2lbs of aftermarket aluminum, and that kept the Impact in benchrest mode, and I'm not a benchrest shooter.

Dislikes

1. Tolerances are off - the rail / bottle thing is a problem that FX will need to resolve (they're already on top of this)

2. Magazines - I machined two TJ barrels for my rifle, the one that I had the most hope for was the short one. My plan was to chamber that barrel to run 47.5gr NSAs, and in terms of chamber reaming - I nailed it. Sadly, this ammo gets rotated sideways in the FX magazines - and this greatly disappoints me. The smallest Nielsen slug that I have found that does not rotate are the 49.5gr. They shoot decent when I crank up my regulator, but unfortunately that reduces my shot count to a mag and small change. I'm helping / sponsoring Orion Iguana Hunter to fix this for those of us shooting larger projectiles).

3. Accuracy (slugs) - as stated before, it's abysmal. 2.5-3" groups at 100. The new FX Hybrids DO fit in these newer "Wildcat/Maverick/Dreamline" mags without interference, but these FX Hybrid slugs shot not better than 2.5-3" at 100 with my rifle. Very disappointed in this, but I'm sure the faster twist liners will resolve the problem

4. Barrel attachment - single grub screw. Technically feasible, but it's a "min-bar" solution IMO. At least the screw is an M4 (or M5?) and not some tiny M2-M3.

5. Exposed linkage - I don't care for it, but the rods are made from a pretty beefy steel material, so this may not be a huge deal.

I have some other minor gripes and praises, but I'll leave it at that. With all of that said, I do like this Maverick (a lot). I wish the mag capacity was higher, but 13 shots isn't terrible. It's not as stout not as powerful as my EVOL, but I like it nonetheless.

My feedback to FX would be to:

• Address the issues with the tolerances (I'm told this is already in the works)
  • Figure out a re-design for the magazine insert so your rifles support more projectiles in .30 (and .25)
  • Keep up the innovation!!!

I can answer any questions about this rifle, please ask in this thread.
Outstanding projects and mods love that TJ barrel. Have the 27” & 30” one.
Take a look at this barrel length and with silencer that is slightly pass the 300cc bottle. I think it will look great on your Maverick —> just throwing another vision out there.

IMG_5012.jpeg

Outstanding projects and mods love that TJ barrel. Have the 27” & 30” one.
Take a look at this barrel length and with silencer that is slightly pass the 300cc bottle. I think it will look great on your Maverick —> just throwing another vision out there.

View attachment 433699
Thanks man. Yeah I machined a few different blanks down for the Mav. I think you were the one who had a build that inspired me to run a short barrel with an Emperor. I think the barrel came out to 330mm or something close to that, and had to use a Dreamline cylinder for clearance:

It was quiet, but I ended up using a .25 DonnyFL Koi with it since it actually had perfect bore clearance for .30. It's short, but not as compact as your Impact:

A448CB03-1D28-4B71-B406-21D976DBD302.jpeg
3FEB2A58-C083-4741-ADE0-4A57EDDF7B8F.jpeg

Barrel is short for a .30, but man it makes good power with my valve and a BFH and it's crazy accurate! Got a good chamber throat reamer from PTG which makes all the difference.