Tuning Maverick Power Wheel Works In Reverse?

That's great man. I'm glad you got that gun doing what it is supposed to be doing! I just realized I never answered your question about the regs from a while back. It uses the gen 3 regs(Impact) from Huma. I don't have a good answer about why your speed may have increased, unless it was temperature related. The guns usually shoot faster when the temp is higher, especially if you had the gun tuned well below the knee when it was cooler. There are other factors that can affect the speed having to do with temp as well, and warmer temp doesn't always mean more speed. It can technically go either way, depending on how the gun is tuned. If you ever got a Sekhmet or similar gauge that shows the pressure very precisely, you'd see your actual reg set pressure will also change with temperature a little bit. Either way, I'd guess speed differences would likely be temp related, assuming everything else is working as it should.

The BIGGEST thing to keep an eye on with the .30 is the linkage block that connects the linkage to the cocking rod. With the larger diameter probe of the .30, it really puts a lot of pressure on that block during the shot cycle. Just always check that those two set screws are tight and loctited. After that, just keep on shooting man :D

That's great man. I'm glad you got that gun doing what it is supposed to be doing! I just realized I never answered your question about the regs from a while back. It uses the gen 3 regs(Impact) from Huma. I don't have a good answer about why your speed may have increased, unless it was temperature related. The guns usually shoot faster when the temp is higher, especially if you had the gun tuned well below the knee when it was cooler. There are other factors that can affect the speed having to do with temp as well, and warmer temp doesn't always mean more speed. It can technically go either way, depending on how the gun is tuned. If you ever got a Sekhmet or similar gauge that shows the pressure very precisely, you'd see your actual reg set pressure will also change with temperature a little bit. Either way, I'd guess speed differences would likely be temp related, assuming everything else is working as it should.

The BIGGEST thing to keep an eye on with the .30 is the linkage block that connects the linkage to the cocking rod. With the larger diameter probe of the .30, it really puts a lot of pressure on that block during the shot cycle. Just always check that those two set screws are tight and loctited. After that, just keep on shooting man :D
Hi Rallyshark. Yeah, temperature changes and the corresponding plenum air pressure changes swing all over the place just by walking from shade to direct sunlight (black anodized aluminum soaks up solar radiation like my grandkids gobble up sweets). The first thing I did on this gun before chonying any slugs was to put good WIKA 28mm 0-250 bar gauges on it (love them -- nuts on accurate always). Even though my mountain man buddy reported velocity changes, I expected that. I'm the chrony dude between us and the one keeping logs. When I chrony, I let the gun temp equalize to ambient temp in the shade. Then I dry fire every minute or so until the 2nd reg always comes back to where I set it and where it always settles. So the point is that I chronied it and logged everything before I gave him the gun to shoot at his cabin. He never adjusted anything and never used any slugs other than the 49.5 gr NSAs. Then he comes back and hands me the gun and I re-do the chrony session without adjusting anything. The average velocity is now about 20 FPS more than what it was using my same chrony procedure, and two different chronographs that both register the 20 FPS gain. Weird.

RALLYSHARK! Holy crap. I think I just now figured out what's been going on. I just went to my back porch for a smoke and coffee and it hit me out of the blue. When I put the new huma power tune spring in, I decided to put locktite on the machine screw that holds the power wheel on. I over did it (I always put too much frickin locktite on). I did not know I over did it with the locktite until I got the spacer from FX and went to put that on and saw that there was locktite stuck all over the side of the spring cup and there was probably locktite on places that I could not even see or get to. I tried to clean the locktite off the spring cup with rubbing alcohol and other stuff and nothing really worked well enough to get it all off. I probably called it quits for the night and just put everything back together the next day without really finishing the cleanup job. Yeah. I'll bet that's what's going on. I'll bet that each shot taken after that locktite mess has little by little been wearing away the excessive locktite and allowing the spring and hammer to smack like it should have been doing all along.
I think the mystery is solved. I'm going to have to ask my wife what brand of coffee that was. It seems to jog my memory.

As far as the linkage block goes, that was also one of the first things I dealt with -- getting the probe to align with the transfer port and then making sure the screws holding the rod to the block would never slip -- using... TaDa... Locktite. Probably way too much.
This has been an exciting post for me. Thanks Rallyshark. Cheers.
grungy

Reactions: Rallyshark
I think this is interesting. I finally installed the 1:18 twist rate 700mm liner in my FX Maverick Sniper 30 cal. I cleaned the liner before installing it just to make sure there wasn't any factory goo in it. Attached my cheap chinese chrony to the DonnyFL Ronin and started shooting full magazines (13 rounds each) of NSA 65.5 grain slugs. 2nd reg at 158 bar. Average FPE for first mag was 109. Average FPE for 2nd mag was still 109. Average FPE for 3rd mag was 110. Average FPE for 4th mag was 112. Then I shot two full mags back to back (so a 26-round string) and the average FPE was 116. 116 was where it leveled out at. I think it is interesting to watch the muzzle velocity climb as the liner goes through a break-in period. The extreme spread for the last 10 shots was 2 meters per second. The extreme spread for the last 15 shots was 3 meters per second. The extreme spread for the last 24 shots was 4 meters per second.

Regarding my previous post: The cold coffee I drank that night out of the pot was made that morning by my wife with beans she bought from a street vendor in the Philippines before returning to the USA a week prior. Hmmmm... is my wife a smuggler? Was that just coffee? I think I'll dismiss the whole excessive locktite theory since I might have been drugged when I came up with that idea.
grungy

Reactions: Rallyshark