• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Maverick experts

So a rare non-tuning question and nothing regarding pellets or slugs here. I am about to chase a small leak (that I have a very big hunch I caused) and it made me more curious about the air flow and such from those who have done deep dives into the guts. My leak is showing as maybe 5 BAR per day and I have eliminated the bottle already. If I remove the bottle and allow the air to escape, my 2nd pressure gauge remains at where it has been set and never decreases. My thought here is that should also eliminate everything from the 2nd regulator through the valve as being an issue. Am I thinking right that the air in that plenum is basically free flowing to the valve?

Ok, on the breather hole, a small hole either opposite or above the #2 reg, put a little soapy water or leak detect, if it bubbles the bottom o-ring on the adjustment screw is bad, it's 2 x 1 mm. If that's not it...pull off the shroud and put a balloon on the barrel if it fills up the top o-ring is bad, IF it's neither then the fun really begins. Replace all of the o-rings in the regulator. In order to drain the plenum you need to SLOWLY back out the adjusting screw. When reassembling it just go down a 1.5 turns from flush. NEVER attempt to adjust in while under pressure, you can adjust out under pressure BUT some recommend firing a shot and opening the valve a little to get to your desired speeds. Get a BUNCH of rings from either McMaster Carr or from The O-ring store. they are cheap and you can never have enough. Get some breech o-rings at the same time, high wear item.

That would, in my mind , be somewhere by your first reg. I had both regs out and after putting them back I had a small leak from the first reg , I just turned the adjustment screw ccw the slightest amount and it sealed back up. I could hear mine making a small popping sound . Two screws and the bottom half separates to expose your first reg. Could try some soap and water to help find it, or listen closely possibly with a straw .

Ok, on the breather hole, a small hole either opposite or above the #2 reg, put a little soapy water or leak detect, if it bubbles the bottom o-ring on the adjustment screw is bad, it's 2 x 1 mm. If that's not it...pull off the shroud and put a balloon on the barrel if it fills up the top o-ring is bad, IF it's neither then the fun really begins. Replace all of the o-rings in the regulator. In order to drain the plenum you need to SLOWLY back out the adjusting screw. When reassembling it just go down a 1.5 turns from flush. NEVER attempt to adjust in while under pressure, you can adjust out under pressure BUT some recommend firing a shot and opening the valve a little to get to your desired speeds. Get a BUNCH of rings from either McMaster Carr or from The O-ring store. they are cheap and you can never have enough. Get some breech o-rings at the same time, high wear item.
If it leaks down the barrel wouldn’t that be in the valve ? Either the valve seat or the oring on the valve pin ?

So a rare non-tuning question and nothing regarding pellets or slugs here. I am about to chase a small leak (that I have a very big hunch I caused) and it made me more curious about the air flow and such from those who have done deep dives into the guts. My leak is showing as maybe 5 BAR per day and I have eliminated the bottle already. If I remove the bottle and allow the air to escape, my 2nd pressure gauge remains at where it has been set and never decreases. My thought here is that should also eliminate everything from the 2nd regulator through the valve as being an issue. Am I thinking right that the air in that plenum is basically free flowing to the valve?
Have you thought about getting a bottle of CRC Leak Detector? These bottles cost $20 and last a long long time as well as save a lot of headaches. I believe you can get them on Amazon or Walmart if you're brave enough to go into that place.