Maverick DIY repair

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
So the season are upon us, but my maverick have been at the dealer since November to get the cocking handle that suddenly broke repaired under warranty.

But while the dealer say he have gotten the handle, the m3 screw it hinge on ( m3 special part # 45 ) seem to be giving him grief ( getting it out )
Now i have not wrenched much on my maverick the biggest job was probably changing to the dual transfer port, which also took some force + heat as it was secured with what i assume are the strongest locktite money can buy, at least IMO entirely unnecessary.
I was heating and wrenching way harder on it than i liked to, to get it iut, and the end result also was the original transfer port in brass was molested beyond reuse.

So the dealer say the rear barrel support ( part # 36 ) also need to be replaced as he can not get the damn screw out, i assume he have either stripped the head on the small m3 screw, and it might well have gotten far too much / strong locktite too, and so either can not be loosned at all, or it have come loose but can not be screwed entirely out due to locktite in threads above it ( which i assume could be cleared by cleaning the thread with a m3 thread tool )

Anyway i am now looking to complete this myself, so i will need ( if dealer have not yet gotten these parts ) a new cocking handle ( # 42 ) a new rear barrel support ( # 36 ) and finally the m3 special screw ( # 45 )

I have circled the 3 parts i need on the drawing, and also drawn ( in red ) where the cocking handle for no reason snapped in November ( i know not to treat precession instruments like a rifle with a sledge hammer, the only times i have been " rough " on the handle are the few times i have double loaded )

Mav parts.jpg

But where to get these after all not regular parts ? i have serious doubt any EU dealer have them in store, so over here that pretty much leave me with FX them self, but i dont think they have a store.
So i am thinking my only chance are @FX-USA for these parts

PS. The dealer insisted on getting the rifle in, needless to say as a guy with several educations in metal fabrication, and also having worked as a engineer on ships, well i think i am qualified to do the repair myself.

PPS. The " special " m3 screw, well not that special to me, it very much look to be the same kind of screws used in the drive line for RC cars, so i might actually have one of those myself CUZ they can and will snap on our little 4 X 4 scale trucks

Last edited:
Well too be honest ( as i always try to be ) i have not yet contacted any dealers here to see if the unusual parts are in stock, but i would be surprised if they are, CUZ its not like things people would replace or break very often i would assume.

I was very freaked when the handle snapped, CUZ i was just a few MAGS into testing the 13 gr H&N slugs i gotten a tin off, and things was going just fine up until i sat there with a dropped jaw and my cocking handle in the hand.
Even more so when i saw where it had snapped, CUZ that was not the place i would have put money on being the weakest spot.

But come Monday when i have spoken to my dealer here in Denmark, well on the basis of that i will set things in motion, starting with my fingers on the keyboard.

Also VERY eager to test the heavy liner i have had lying on my table since 2 weeks after i drove to the dealer with my Maverick.
CUZ even if the weather have been miserable here over winter ( though it always is for me the heat lover that i am ) well for sure i would have installed that heavy liner and also shot it a few times by now, that if the repair had not taken this long.

I am thinking IF he have stripped the Hex in that m3 " special " screw, i think it is seated in a pretty deep hole in the barrel support, so will probably be very hard to drill and somehow get the part out.
I never tried dealing with this small screws / boldts stuck, more used to car / train / ship sized hardware, where you have something substantial to work with.
IF he have just stopped as the screw are in there like a SOB due to locktite, well i might be able to get a fine tip of a soldering iron down in that thread to heat the screw and barrel support up to where it would be possible to unscrew,

That is MAYBE cuz with the memory of my transfer port swap in mind i worry, CUZ i am used to heating things to get locktite to let go from the RC car hobby, But that transfer port swap i had a propane torch on there and reaching temperatures i have not needed to reach before. That too was a WTF moment, CUZ i was Jesus Christ is it " wrong / anti clockwise " thread or what, but it was regular thread just glued on there like a SOB.

Actually the new transfer port, just screwed on there no thread locker used, and it worked just fine all of the season last year.

I am inclined to think someone at FX been overly generous with the thread locker, and / or probably used the way strong kind in places where it is not needed at all.
I can not recall the locktite # i use on the RC cars, but it is a fairly mild one, i do remember it is purple.

So if its on there real good, well for sure i will need a new barrel support too, and the m3 special screw / pin

Last edited:
Reactions: BulletFreak
FX has been Loctite challenged for as long as I can remember. I had a Maverick. Initially, FX used no Loctite. The guns were literally shooting themselves apart. After many complaints, it seemed like they Loctite'd the whole gun together. I started replacing many of the parts, and like you most could not be removed without destroying them. They used too much of the wrong compound on the tiniest screws, many of which simply do not need Loctite at all.
FX should send it's assemblers to a Locktite class. They should have a standard method of assembly. I had one Impact transfer port where the brass part had red Loctite, and the silver part where it attaches to the barrel had blue Loctite (reversed). You go to remove the transfer port to put on a dual port, and the silver part unscrews from the barrel housing but the transfer port is still attached to it. I put it in a vise and got it apart, but had to fiddle with replacing o-rings that never needed touched. I've seen YT vids where E Rowe says "be sure to use Loctite here" but when you disassemble the gun, there is NONE. As an example, I present the two tiny set screws that attach the Wildcat/Maverick cocking handle to the valve rod (the greatest weakness of the entire platform). If E Rowe says to be sure and use Locktite there, don't you think the factory should do so? There is no consistency, Sometimes they do things right, often they do not. Yes FX is Loctite challenged.

Last edited:
Got my Maverick back and repaired, threw in HEAVY liner, and tested that today, and i AM NOT impressed i have to say, even if i can get 20 grainera to fly better than in the standard barrel, but 16 grain and not least 13 grain, well they shoot like poop in the heavy liner.
I did shoot 75 M with standard heavy pellets ( 10.43 gr Air arms field heavy ) and as the wind died completely or very near to that, hitting the 2" shoot N see target was not that hard.

For sure on my next outing i will put the regular barrel in the case, CUZ i am not hopefull for the heavy liner, and 13 grain is my go to weight, so i feel sort of like i did with the factory 600 mm liner that only shot well with the Beast pellets.

Would definitely try FX USA for those parts.
Yep, if the thing is still under warranty, they'll fix it. I'd love to know the 'dealer', to my knowledge that screw isn't loctite'd in. I can tell you that the only think keeping that handle from wobbling is that little screw, it's a slip fit into the handle, there is a significant gap between Part 36 and the handle. If it had been me I'd have designed it a bit differently, most definitely with a larger screw for more bearing surface, and perhaps some shims.

My dealer are a local Danish dealer, the best stocked airgun shop in the country, it is called gunpit
Sadly there are no English version of the page, but i think google can help with that in return for a little private information. https://www.gunpit.dk/shop/frontpage.html

There are others that sell airguns, also more or less dedicated to that, but otherwise you might find airguns in some shops that sell regular hunting weapons ASO
My first FX i got from a Hunting store, and back then in 2012 they had like 10 rifles to choose from, mainly FX as i recall