Tuning Maverick .25 compact

I got this Maverick and I'm having trouble tuning it. Crony numbers are excellent but my 50 yards groups are not that great. I'm shooting about 1.25 inches 5 shot groups which is not great.

I can see the pellets spiral and I don't think I'm getting pellet strikes because it shoots the same groups with or without the Donny. I'm shooting the JSB 25.39, HS adjuster is 6mm, and power wheel is at 3. 1st reg is 135 bar and 2nd reg is 110 bar but I've noticed my 2nd reg will hover right around 105 to 108 bar shot to shot.

I'm using the Sekhmet digital gauge to set my regs. I have cleaned the barrel really good and I think I'm a good shot because my brocock .22 is slightly out shooting the Maverick and the cricket .22 is running circles around the Maverick.

I have a Aeon scope with a level and all screws are at 15 inch/pounds for the rings and 30 inch/pounds for the base. What am I not doing right with this Maverick? I thought maybe this Maverick just doesn't like the 25.39 grains and try the 34 grains but I only have a few tins of the 34's.

Chrony #s:

Filled to 250 bar, shots 1 to 125

Hi - 883

Lo - 872

Av - 876

ES - 11

SD - 2

KIMG0186.1648446005.JPG

KIMG0185.1648445986.JPG

KIMG0184.1648445952.JPG

You can try 1st reg at 150bar, 2nd reg @ 110 bar. Wheel on 7, hammer spring preload turn clock wise until it stops. Shoot 5 shots thru the chronograph noting the fps. Increase the 2nd reg 5 bar and repeat. Continue until the fps stops rising or is lower than the previous setting of the regulator. Now adjust the hammer spring preload one full turn counter clock wise and chronograph again. Add more preload 1/4 turn each time until the fps doesn't change anymore.. That's max for the hammer weight you have installed. If the fps is above what you want turn the wheel down and test each setting and decide on how fast is fast enough. If wheel 4 is just above the desired reduce the hammer spring preload turning clock wise slowly until the desired fps is set.

I have 2 Maverick's one a .25 Sniper and a .22 compact and I have found it's easier to tune if the hammer weight is around 12.5 grams. The compact .22 is set @ 155 and 125 bar, the 15.89 grain JSB are at 965 fps with the wheel on adjust. The 17.1 grain NSA slugs are 1005 fps on wheel 4. With the hammer spring preload around 1 turn counter clock wise or less.

I have heard that the FX guns with STX or superior STX barrel liner they are packing now , I think it's the superior one are a bit picky with pellet head size. mine sure is. Mine is a 25 cal version and FX/JSB/AA pellets come primarily in 6.37 and 6.38 mm with a few in the 6.36 and 6.39 . Your gun is going to like the 6.37 or 6.38 best. pellet sizing is my first step to nailing down accuracy. Steve Schalli - AEAC did a video review which highlighted this issue as he was testing. I think it's his maverick review but can't swear to it. Because your observations are describing it almost perfectly Nobody wants to sort pellets, I get it, but that sounds like your culprit.

Spent hours shooting the maverick over the chrony and testing out to 50 yards and this is what I settled on. Reg at 150 and 130. From shooting several precious tins, I'm not a big fan of FX's 2nd reg. At 20 seconds between shots, I've been averaging 127 and 128 bar. The first 10-15 shots, the reg sets about 126 bar and towards the end of the shot string, the reg will settle about 130-131 bar. If the maverick is left for an hour or more, the reg will clime to 135 bar and it will take 2 to 3 shots to settle down.

Looking at the chrony numbers it may seem the numbers are ok but on paper, the Maverick shot great. JSB 34 shot the best and the 25 did great too.

JSB 34 at 50 yards

5 shot group

KIMG0198.1648860965.JPG

Full mags

KIMG0197.1648860940.JPG

KIMG0196.1648860915.JPG

JSB 25 at 50 yards

Full mag

KIMG0200.1648860834.JPG

5 shot group

KIMG0199.1648860800.JPG

I haven't hunted with it yet but from shooting the Maverick over the chrony and at 50 yards, my thoughts on it is amazing. Comparing the maverick to a 1st gen wildcat, there are four things that stand out to me.

1 is the power wheel. I'm able to turn the power wheel to 5 and shoot the 34's and if I want to shoot the 25's, I just turn the power wheel to 3.

2 Very easy to change the reg settings. After spending hours tuning at different reg pressures, you get good at changing pressures.

3 The large plenum really helps with getting the power you want. Although the 1st gen was capable of achieving the same power, it took a lot work to get there.

4 The CF bottle. Huge shot count

This really makes me want to get this rifle. Appreciate the info.

Just to be fair, it's not all roses with the Maverick and I'll be comparing it to what I remember from a 1st gen wildcat I once owned. I've noticed I get some very low or very high numbers on the chrony and this is reflected on paper. Some shooting sessions, the maverick is pellet on pellet and some the maverick will throw a lot of flyers. I don't like the stockless design. It not comfortable carrying and shooting on the bench. Although the 1st gen wildcat was getting half the shot count (48), those 48 shots were consistently accurate. IMO I prefer the 1st gen wildcat mags. They were cheaper, easier and faster to load, and they can easier be stored on the wildcat or in your pocket. If I had to choose between the maverick and the 1st gen wildcat I once owned, I would choose my old wildcat.