Maverick .177 Porker Down

WELL DONE SIR! That's a heck of a harvest from an amazing machine you put together and tuned -- and one heck of a slug. That hog has to have been well beyond 200 pounds. Did you get a weight on him?
I appreciate it man! I didn't have time to weigh him, but I feel like he's at least 200lbs. I'd rather under guess, than over guess ;) I can tell you he was no fun to load by myself though!

You rock ! I for one would like to know your reg settings as I am tryin to get 13 grain slugs above 900 fps.
That’s a good pig for any gun - a great pig for any airgun.
My reg is at 205 bar, but I have a Huma extra high pressure reg and single reg setup. The rear reg is removed and that section is just more plenum now. I use this gun for hunting large stuff in .30, but those little ice pics shoot so good out of it, haha. I don't know what gun you have, but 13 grain over 900 fps should be a walk in the park for a Maverick? Even with a 500mm barrel, you could get there with a reg under 150 bar I'd imagine. Your problem may be hammer spring/hammer weight related?

Thanks again for everyone's positive thoughts!!

Reactions: Billinoregon
Nice, it definitely makes the point shot placement. So, after reading your thread here i've decided i can no longer dance around like a banty rooster after knocking a squirrel out of a tree with the .177. lol.
Hey, squirrels are still fun too! I just rebarreled my flash rifle to shoot 12.5 grain NSA slugs for that very reason. I wanted to stick to slugs, but wanted it low power. It's shooting dime size groups at 30 yards at 790 fps, just for squirrels at the house :D

Reactions: muddydogz
I'm soooooo stoked that @Rallyshark dropped a big Boar with a .177......that gun is absolutely cooking and with the right shot placement he could take down anything he wants to.

I get a bit annoyed when people just want to chime in that you need .25 cal minimum at XXX FPE to hunt bigger game.

Granted this is not a big boar but it's not a small one either, I shot it with a lowly Disco shooting the H&N baracuda at a measly 17 FPE

I've Been saying it for a long time now ( but people try to put it down ) If you have a powerful .177 cal gun with the right ammo it's devastating on big game if you put your projectile in the right spot.

I'm soooooo stoked that Rallyshack dropped a big Boar with a .177......that gun is absolutely cooking and with the right shot placement he could take down anything he wants to.

I get a bit annoyed when people just want to chime in that you need .25 cal minimum at XXX FPE to hunt bigger game.

Granted this is not a big boar but it's not a small one either, I shot it with a lowly Disco shooting the H&N baracuda at a measly 17 FPE

I've Been saying it for a long time now ( but people try to put it down ) If you have a powerful .177 cal gun with the right ammo it's devastating on big game if you put your projectile in the right spot.
Thanks man! I was pretty stoked too! I've been wanting to get one with the heavier .177 slugs this barrel likes for a while. I knew the gun could do it, I just needed the target opportunity. That hog dropped just as good as they do with the .30 at 170 fpe ;) I remember way back when you got that pig with the Disco! I had planned on videoing this one, but I forgot my scope cam when I left to go hunting :(

Speaking of struggling to load a hog solo, a guy on the TX hunting forums linked to this product, which looks pretty righteous to me:

Reactions: Rallyshark
My friend this is one of the best hunting post I've seen in the decade and a half I've being spending most of my time in Airgun Hunting sections.
Wow, thanks for that man! I gotta give you some credit, because I remember messaging you way back when I was trying to get my first hog with Hatsan Bullboss, LOL! I did get my first pig with that turd too :D Now, it has become an addiction...

Speaking of struggling to load a hog solo, a guy on the TX hunting forums linked to this product, which looks pretty righteous to me:
That would have been nice to have for sure. I tied a rope to the hog's front leg and then to the back, and dead lifted him into the truck from the tailgate. I just had my friend on the ground pass the rope up to me while I was standing on the tailgate. I don't think I could get one much bigger in there by myself without help(or a hoist).

Thanks for the kind words man! The barrel isn't super short or long. It's about 625mm. The bigger thing is that it is a solid barrel, so harmonics don't give me much trouble with it. As far as the reg goes, you do have an idea, because it's the same gun I run with the .30 barrel, and I haven't touched the reg between the calibers(205bar single reg setup). I only lowered the hammer spring :D It takes a lot of pressure to get those little ice picks moving like that, haha. You could probably get one of these barrels easier than I can. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get that Alfa Precision barrel I'm using... Machining it for the Maverick was tough, because I have a small/cheap lathe. It wouldn't be that much trouble on a larger/better lathe with a good machinist(I'm not a good machinist).

The best I can determine is the BC on these 23 grain slugs is probably around .11-.12. I haven't changed it in Strelok but it tends to hit a little high with the BC in the app at .105, so it's just a guess. I have run it out to 325 yards, but I need to change the BC in Strelok to see if I can dial it in a bit better. Once I figured out where it was shooting, I kind of ignored the fact that the Strelock was a little off, haha. Griffin slugs can make 24 grain slugs too, but they are borderline too long for the magazine, so I have to tap the magazine sometimes to get them to rotate. That's why I went with the 23 grain. They are super accurate out of that 370mm twist barrel.
Sorry i misread your post about the twist and confused it with barrel lenght. Didn't have any idea alfaprecision was made in Russia. Are those the same barrels used in daystates i wonder? I am still a newbie so give me some slack lol what i was referring was the ammo choice mainly i hoovered around Griffin and they are for US soil only 😥TJ blanks also.. i am glad you boys have the choice though! Cheers

Sorry i misread your post about the twist and confused it with barrel lenght. Didn't have any idea alfaprecision was made in Russia. Are those the same barrels used in daystates i wonder? I am still a newbie so give me some slack lol what i was referring was the ammo choice mainly i hoovered around Griffin and they are for US soil only 😥TJ blanks also.. i am glad you boys have the choice though! Cheers

Most Daystates currently use Lothar Walther barrels, not any of that russian garbage.

No worries man :) Alfa Precision barrels are what is used in the Edgun Leshiy 2. Not the specific blanks I got, but the same maker. I got Alfa Precision to throw the blanks in with Edgun West's barrel shipment they were sending, then got Edgun West to ship me the blanks, haha. I love the Griffin slugs, because they are one of the few that has the selection of oddball ammo I like to play with. The TJs barrels are pretty sweet too, especially their .30 and .357 barrels.

Most Daystates currently use Lothar Walther barrels, not any of that russian garbage.
I've machined quite a few LW barrels, and the Alfa Precision barrels are better quality. To call them Russian garbage is uninformed(to put it kindly). It has nothing to do with where they come from(even if they were purchased over 2 years ago). They are a better quality steel, hammer forged, and fit and finish is top notch. That is especially true, if you're trying to source a small bore air gun barrel for slugs. LW makes great pellet barrels, but for slugs, they are not the best. I just try to get the best barrel possible for whatever my build goal is, and in this case, there was none better than Alfa Precision :)

Reactions: Hal4son and Ignoto
No worries man :) Alfa Precision barrels are what is used in the Edgun Leshiy 2. Not the specific blanks I got, but the same maker. I got Alfa Precision to throw the blanks in with Edgun West's barrel shipment they were sending, then got Edgun West to ship me the blanks, haha. I love the Griffin slugs, because they are one of the few that has the selection of oddball ammo I like to play with. The TJs barrels are pretty sweet too, especially their .30 and .357 barrels.

I've machined quite a few LW barrels, and the Alfa Precision barrels are better quality. To call them Russian garbage is uninformed(to put it kindly). It has nothing to do with where they come from(even if they were purchased over 2 years ago). They are a better quality steel, hammer forged, and fit and finish is top notch. That is especially true, if you're trying to source a small bore air gun barrel for slugs. LW makes great pellet barrels, but for slugs, they are not the best. I just try to get the best barrel possible for whatever my build goal is, and in this case, there was none better than Alfa Precision :)
Nice move on the logistics department. I would like to try those in .177 too whenever i can get heavier lead or make a mold (looks more likely).

Thank you for all the information about the alternatives and the feedback. I admit i came pretty close so order a LW but wasn't sure if it would give me what i was looking for and for the price it was a gamble i just wouldn't bet on.

If the barrel is good it's good and although i too have my side on what's going on abroad, a company shouldn't be targeted with critics about their country's politics decisions. For me it's the airgun parts im interested.

Nice move on the logistics department. I would like to try those in .177 too whenever i can get heavier lead or make a mold (looks more likely).

Thank you for all the information about the alternatives and the feedback. I admit i came pretty close so order a LW but wasn't sure if it would give me what i was looking for and for the price it was a gamble i just wouldn't bet on.

If the barrel is good it's good and although i too have my side on what's going on abroad, a company shouldn't be targeted with critics about their country's politics decisions. For me it's the airgun parts im interested.
Well said. The AP barrel was a technical decision, and nothing more. I've tried LW barrels before as well, just not on this particular gun. The heaviest .177 slug I could get to work was an 18 grain(1050 fps) in an unchoked LW polygon barrel. That barrel was CRAZY accurate with 15 grain slugs at 1000 fps too. So, the LW barrels aren't useless for the .177 slugs by any stretch, but they just don't have the twist handle the 20-24 grain slugs with acceptable accuracy. My goal was laser accuracy with 20+ grain slugs, and the AP barrel was easily the best option I could find for that purpose. I've not found any other .177 barrel with a fast twist like that. Now, LW will make a custom barrel with whatever twist you like, but it will be expensive.

I'm soooooo stoked that @Rallyshark dropped a big Boar with a .177......that gun is absolutely cooking and with the right shot placement he could take down anything he wants to.

...you`re Dutch???