Maverick .177 Porker Down

**Before anyone gives me crap about the caliber: I put in the work to make sure this gun is a laser, and to make sure I know what shots I can take with the highest percentage of success. I do my best to put myself in as close as I can to the hogs(under 50 yards), so there is less room for me to screw up. I don't recommend everyone thinking they can go hog hunting with their .177! **

My modded Maverick got to feed once more, but this time, in .177! It was tuned to shoot Griffin 23gr slugs at 1070 fps in this case. She's putting out a hair under 60 fpe(it is capable of a bit more), and it crazy accurate. It has an Alfa Precision 1:14.6" twist barrel(370mm) that loves the 22-24 grain slugs. I've also done a lot of other work to the gun, so it can make these power levels in .177 without too much trouble. It takes a lot to push those little ice picks. This same gun with the same reg setting will do 170 fpe in .30 to give you guys an idea.

It was right at dark, and I was literally about to get up and leave. Thank goodness for the Trijicon's light gathering ability! I had just taken the gun off the rest, and I thought I heard something. I stopped and listened. Sure enough I heard pigs coming! It was a last minute quick hunt, so I was sitting on the ground against a tree about 30 yards from the feeder. I was trying to play to the wind, but the wind went completely dead. That's not the best when you're that close. Two small pigs came barreling in straight to the feeder, but this larger boar stopped short and put his nose in the air and perked his ears up. He knew something was up, so I took the shot at about 35 yards within 15 seconds of me putting my gun back on the rest. Any longer, and he would have bolted. He dropped in his tracks:devilish: I couldn't tell for the blood and dirt, but it may have actually done a pass through on his noggin. Those little heavy .177 slugs penetrate very well. Either way, that porker was dead before his head hit the ground!

I've killed hogs in .30, .22, and .177. I love the ability to change calibers on this gun, and the .177 is my favorite one. The bullet hitting that pig is way louder than the gun itself. It's short, quiet, and extremely accurate. I machined this barrel to fit the gun very tight, and it is tensioned. It is always spot on straight out of the case, and banging it around has zero affect on POI. .177 slug guns can be a very deadly combo on critters in general, and even larger ones in the right circumstances ;) I didn't get to weigh this one, but I'm guessing he was around 200lbs. The picture on the F-150 tailgate should give a legitimate size reference, without any distorted camera angles to make it look bigger than it is. He wasn't super old, but certainly fat. Thanks for reading!

177pig2.jpg

177pig1.jpg

177pig3.jpg

23grslug.jpg

At this point i though you couldn't surprise me anymore with everything i have seen from your posts (thats how high my image is of you) but MAAN! I had the idea .177 could be easier to pierce with a heavy projectile and enough inertia due to lower area of impact but a full pass through with a hollow point.. with that short a barrel.. i am happy for you dude congrats! (y)
💪 i won't ask for reg presures because i already have the idea. The expression you have in the photo i think is what we all search for when we grab our guns. I have also been recently trying stuff in .177 but you are so spoiled with choice in both barrel and projectiles in the states that makes me also envy you 😅 I do have a question though, BC wise at the speed you are running what can you tell me about that slug? At what distance did you validate it? I can tell you with the FX recent heavy 1:18 20gr Zan max out at around 0.1 over ~300yards. Depending on speed that is. Right now anything over 1000 with a standard shroud opens up on the 700mm liner with a carbon sleeve. (I suspect too much vibration further testing required) bc at other speeds in the photo below.
Screenshot_2023-04-17-12-16-54.png

Reactions: Rallyshark
**Before anyone gives me crap about the caliber: I put in the work to make sure this gun is a laser, and to make sure I know what shots I can take with the highest percentage of success. I do my best to put myself in as close as I can to the hogs(under 50 yards), so there is less room for me to screw up. I don't recommend everyone thinking they can go hog hunting with their .177! **

My modded Maverick got to feed once more, but this time, in .177! It was tuned to shoot Griffin 23gr slugs at 1070 fps in this case. She's putting out a hair under 60 fpe(it is capable of a bit more), and it crazy accurate. It has an Alfa Precision 1:14.6" twist barrel(370mm) that loves the 22-24 grain slugs. I've also done a lot of other work to the gun, so it can make these power levels in .177 without too much trouble. It takes a lot to push those little ice picks. This same gun with the same reg setting will do 170 fpe in .30 to give you guys an idea.

It was right at dark, and I was literally about to get up and leave. Thank goodness for the Trijicon's light gathering ability! I had just taken the gun off the rest, and I thought I heard something. I stopped and listened. Sure enough I heard pigs coming! It was a last minute quick hunt, so I was sitting on the ground against a tree about 30 yards from the feeder. I was trying to play to the wind, but the wind went completely dead. That's not the best when you're that close. Two small pigs came barreling in straight to the feeder, but this larger boar stopped short and put his nose in the air and perked his ears up. He knew something was up, so I took the shot at about 35 yards within 15 seconds of me putting my gun back on the rest. Any longer, and he would have bolted. He dropped in his tracks:devilish: I couldn't tell for the blood and dirt, but it may have actually done a pass through on his noggin. Those little heavy .177 slugs penetrate very well. Either way, that porker was dead before his head hit the ground!

I've killed hogs in .30, .22, and .177. I love the ability to change calibers on this gun, and the .177 is my favorite one. The bullet hitting that pig is way louder than the gun itself. It's short, quiet, and extremely accurate. I machined this barrel to fit the gun very tight, and it is tensioned. It is always spot on straight out of the case, and banging it around has zero affect on POI. .177 slug guns can be a very deadly combo on critters in general, and even larger ones in the right circumstances ;) I didn't get to weigh this one, but I'm guessing he was around 200lbs. The picture on the F-150 tailgate should give a legitimate size reference, without any distorted camera angles to make it look bigger than it is. He wasn't super old, but certainly fat. Thanks for reading!

View attachment 348760

View attachment 348761

View attachment 348762

View attachment 348763
Rally , Hello . Great shot !! Having grown up on a farm & doing our own butchering I know some of what it takes to put animals humanely down . We used .22 long rifle standard velocity for beef & shorts for pigs. I used to work for a man that had bison & he told me that when he had to deal w/ culling or meat work he used a .22 also ! It's all about shot placement first , energy second . A while back a video was censored that showed a man dropping a cow w/ a pellet gun . Most folks don't understand the principle ,so they howl . Keep shooting straight !

View attachment 348760

View attachment 348761

View attachment 348762

View attachment 348763
Wow, if i ever bite the bullet and get a maverick, i am sending it to you. I thought my rainstorm was very capable with about 35fpe shooting 21g h&n piledrivers through a kids balloon filling helium tank. That is awesome what yours is putting out.

Reactions: Rallyshark
At this point i though you couldn't surprise me anymore with everything i have seen from your posts (thats how high my image is of you) but MAAN! I had the idea .177 could be easier to pierce with a heavy projectile and enough inertia due to lower area of impact but a full pass through with a hollow point.. with that short a barrel.. i am happy for you dude congrats! (y)
💪 i won't ask for reg presures because i already have the idea. The expression you have in the photo i think is what we all search for when we grab our guns. I have also been recently trying stuff in .177 but you are so spoiled with choice in both barrel and projectiles in the states that makes me also envy you 😅 I do have a question though, BC wise at the speed you are running what can you tell me about that slug? At what distance did you validate it? I can tell you with the FX recent heavy 1:18 20gr Zan max out at around 0.1 over ~300yards. Depending on speed that is. Right now anything over 1000 with a standard shroud opens up on the 700mm liner with a carbon sleeve. (I suspect too much vibration further testing required) bc at other speeds in the photo below.
View attachment 348884
Thanks for the kind words man! The barrel isn't super short or long. It's about 625mm. The bigger thing is that it is a solid barrel, so harmonics don't give me much trouble with it. As far as the reg goes, you do have an idea, because it's the same gun I run with the .30 barrel, and I haven't touched the reg between the calibers(205bar single reg setup). I only lowered the hammer spring :D It takes a lot of pressure to get those little ice picks moving like that, haha. You could probably get one of these barrels easier than I can. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get that Alfa Precision barrel I'm using... Machining it for the Maverick was tough, because I have a small/cheap lathe. It wouldn't be that much trouble on a larger/better lathe with a good machinist(I'm not a good machinist).

The best I can determine is the BC on these 23 grain slugs is probably around .11-.12. I haven't changed it in Strelok but it tends to hit a little high with the BC in the app at .105, so it's just a guess. I have run it out to 325 yards, but I need to change the BC in Strelok to see if I can dial it in a bit better. Once I figured out where it was shooting, I kind of ignored the fact that the Strelock was a little off, haha. Griffin slugs can make 24 grain slugs too, but they are borderline too long for the magazine, so I have to tap the magazine sometimes to get them to rotate. That's why I went with the 23 grain. They are super accurate out of that 370mm twist barrel.