• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Match time?

It may be optimistic but I'm hopeing June.....personally I think with some thought this can happen. But at this point we are pretty much bat 💩 crazy and will do anything to be able to shoot a FT match regardless of risks. The Ohio governor has taken a pretty Hardline approach on shutting things down and restricting group size etc and I'm not too optimistic that many of these bans will be lifted by then. Keeping my fingers crossed 😷🤞

What if the match director made it mandatory to all wear masks covering our mouth and nose and also wear latex gloves ...yea it would definitely look strange but we'd be out there enjoying what we like to do with a low risk of contacting it?! Just a thought fellas.

Yeah, it's the strings that are the sticking point. Perhaps a spray bottle at each lane to sanitize ones hands before and/or after shooting the lane? The rest would seem to be pretty simple in terms of staying safe. Each club would need to make their own decision based on the conditions in their area. Wish I didn't live in MA right now...

Chas

Although the strings are something we will all have to touch, we can still stay safe by learning to do some things that are not dependent upon others.

Getting the virus on our hands will not hurt us. We have to transfer the virus to our airway for it to take hold. The best defense is to diligently monitor yourself and curtail habits that involve hand to face contact. It’s not easy to do...if you don’t put a lot of effort into it. Most of us have never payed attention to our personal habits in this way. Wearing gloves is useless if you still touch your face with them. There are many things we can do to drastically lessen the likelihood of transfer. Just think about everything you do that gets your hands on or close to your face...and stop doing that.

Don’t pick up glasses by their top halves...eat with utensils...talk on speaker., etc. The list is endless...but If everyone put some thought into their everyday routines and quit doing the things that transfer bacteria/viruses to their faces....we could likely be shooting FT right now with little worry of getting sick from it.

Mike 

Mike, I agree 100% with what you are saying.

Unfortunately, it is also the reason why the disease continues to spread and dates keep getting pushed back. I watch the people from the centre for disease control on their interviews and they are itching their noses, rubbing their eyes and rubbing their faces. Stopping this is really hard. My daughter is a surgical nurse and she keeps on us constantly about washing our hands, sanitizing surfaces and keeping our hands away from our faces. We have also been very serious in our isolation and have not been out of our yard area for a month or so. Since she has to work, she brings everything we need to us and sanitizes everything before we get it. We live in the same house but on different levels.

If everyone follows guidelines strictly, we can make a huge difference in the timeline. I have not even thought about re-scheduling matches yet as everything is on hold up here in Canada and all schedules that came out before the outbreak are on automatic cancel unless otherwise notified. I would rather miss the entire season than risk some of our people getting sick or contributing to a comeback of the pandemic.

Serious stuff for sure

So wearing a face mask/bandana would more or less take care of alot of these problems and brining our own hand sanitizer wouldn't be a problem. The social distancing definitely would not be a problem. Hell go to your local park or bike trail any given Sunday afternoon and see how crowded it is now. Any given nice day there's a ton of people at parks...just saying I really don't see much difference.

Agreed...it’s very difficult to change some things....but not at all impossible. My wife, daughter, and I have been making somewhat of a game of it. Our progress is undeniable. I suspect in another week we will have succeeded in retraining ourselves to not do a great number of things we never thought about before. 

Sneezing can be done sensibly...and doing so in an outdoor setting will be largely inconsequential. Self control is also about not placing yourself in a situation where someone else’s actions can affect you. For example....might not be prudent to climb into a car full of people that you don’t trust to be as careful about sneezing as you might be.

My point is only that we can do a great deal by working on our own behavior....and that starts by simply thinking about the things we do and making a plan to stop doing the ones that place is at risk. I would rather shake someone’s hand and just monitor myself so that I don’t do anything I shouldn’t with that hand than be afraid of shaking it to begin with. We are extraordinarily adaptive and intelligent beings...we can learn to be smart about infecting ourselves with our hands.

Mike

The shoot to reset Crosman squirrels and the AV rat on a stick type targets are what I use at home, so I would have no problem shooting them at a match. The only issue would be for match directors to create the rules for resets. Do we shoot reset before leaving the lane or does the next group shoot to reset before starting their timer? The other option would be to only have 2 str targets per lane and score the reset paddle as a real hit. 

Of course we could also do nothing different and just sit around on the internet and abuse the new guys for not "using the search function" until mid-June. JK