• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Results Match Report for <20 FPE Night Field Target Match At Phoenix Rod and Gun Club 06/24/23

I'm going to go about this match report a bit differently than I typically do....

Usually, within the first 24hrs after a match is done, photos and texts from the participants start filtering in. Everybody is very helpful in that regard, generally understanding that I can put up a better report if I get impressions of the match from everyone. So I sort through all that information, mixing in my own opinion of what I thought of the match, and arriving at somewhat of a general consensus, and that's what becomes the match report. The whole process is actually really enjoyable, b/c it's mostly just texting with all my field target buddies. And it's fun to see shared impressions, and compare how each shooter felt about the conditions/course/their performance and/or their rig.

This month, I think I'll just share the snippets of info that I received. There were only 6 shooters so it's reasonable to do it this way this time around, and I wasn't one of them so don't have my own take on this months match.

First off, here are the top 3 scores, as well as 5 of the 6 shooters. (Ben must be the one taking this photo).
Left to right: Dan, Barry, Mike, Scott, Rick
shooters.jpg

The overall Troyer for this month was a 33.74, so basically a 34. Not an easy match, just going by that. Data for the hardest two targets are included in the two right-most columns.
score.jpg

Dan:
"Conditions were really pretty nice. About the best I have seen at PRGC. I was barely able to see my wind thread on my barrel. I'd guess maybe 10 shots where I was holding outside the kill zone over a half inch."

Mike:
"The hearts and star reducers were tricky and caught shooters off guard. The evening was really great cooling down to 87 degrees. There was a slight breeze in the valley of about 7 mph. Even though we didn't have many shooters it was still a great night. Good shooting Dan L. And new shooter Rick."

Rick:
"I haven’t shot a Field Target match since around 2016 and wanted to start shooting again. When I saw that PRGC was going to have a night shoot that got me interested. I contacted Ben and decided to come out and watch and see what it was all about. My gun was not setup at all with a new scope on it and I had no dope worked out so I left it at home and decided to just observe and learn. I arrived at PRGC around 5:30pm and met with Ben. Everyone began to sight in and Ben generously offered to share his gun with me. At first I was reluctant to “borrow” his gun but decided to accept his offer. It was pretty warm during sight in with the temp around 107. Soon the sun went down and it cooled off nicely as we moved over to the FT course. I had never shot at night before and it was a unique and fun experience. I had a great time. We finished the course around 10pm and the temp was a cool 87 degrees. It was nice to meet everyone and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Thanks again to Ben for sharing his gun and scope dope. I’ll definitely come out and shoot again. Now I just need to get my equipment prepped.
Thanks to everyone.

Ben:
"I believe the temperature was around 104 when I got there at 5 o'clock at 7:45. It was 94° I believe 95° and when we finished it was 87° there was a slight breeze that picked up about 2/3 way through the match, Rick Eaton shared my gun he wasn't gonna shoot. I talked him into shooting or we all talked him in the shooting and of course he beat me with my own gun. Weather was perfect light breeze. We had a few that if you look at the pictures of the targets, you can see there is considerable right to left, but you couldn't feel it where we were sitting. Everybody had a good time."

And some of the photos I was sent....
I'm thinking that day time photo must have been from when they set the course up on Friday evening. That photo has a green fish, and if you look closely enough, you can just make out the star shaped kill zone.

bird.jpg
fish.jpg

These dang oddball shaped kill zones are tricky. One of my misses at American Field Target at last years EBR was a pellet that hit one of the points of the star sticking down into the kill zone. The effective size of those star kzs is smaller than one would think.
frog.jpg
heart kill zone.jpg

You can see some of that right to left drift Ben mentioned on this rabbit target-lots of hits just to the left of the kill zone.
wind.jpg
prairie dog.jpg

night match.jpg
night match1.jpg
night match2.jpg

And finally, the moon. Amazingly enough, Dan took this with just his phone, no additional magnification (I initially assumed it was through his scope).
moon.jpg

All in all sounds like a good time was had by all. Thanks Ben and crew, as well as Phoenix Rod and Gun Club.
Until next time.
Cole

Last edited:
Thank you Franklink again a great idea. I was hoping you and the boys would show up and surprise me. I love seeing them shoot with their dad. We also missed Tony and Barb and Bobby and Sandy. This is truly a family sport and seeing the youth and husbands and wives is what makes me very happy. I get a chuckle listening to the Wives talk smack, I think we could charge admission. I agree with the woman they are the better shooters. LOL

I didn’t notice Barry gave me the rabbit ears! I won’t tell anyone what he said about the hearts and star reducers! But most of it was WTF. All I could do was laugh! Hope everyone had a good time.
Maybe on the next long range match we can do our own ranging to add a twist to it. Great write up Cole. Did we figure out the correct ranging on each station?