• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Match Report 2022 AOA & Airgun Oregon Extreme EBR and EFT Grand Prix results

Match Report AOA EXTREME BENCHREST AND FIELD TARGET Ashland Oregon April 29th, 30th, May 1st 2022

First off, Thanks to our sponsor Air Guns of Arizona, and my Air Gun Oregon team, Randy, Jacob, Eric, Chris, Casey… and my sister Laurie for feeding us lunch both Saturday and Sunday. Thanks also to Larry Durham aka LD for his advice with planning.

The second annual AOA-Air Gun Oregon Extreme Air gun match went smoothly. Competitors had fun and shot safely. The weather gave a little bit to dance around with a shower Saturday morning during the Extreme Field Target match, but we had the covered benches so we could shoot from those decks when necessary and the showers were mostly light. But the wind on both sides of that front played havoc on some of the bench rest scores that afternoon, with a particularly gusty period making one relay on Saturday pretty tough.

We had 19 competitors attend from; AZ, Calif, Portland Or. and locally. On Sunday, we had high temps in the 70s, clear and partly cloudy skies along with mild morning winds that switched direction about 11am from SW to NE from behind us and became very gusty and changed direction & velocity constantly up to 8mph. The wind would change right before you took your shot. Shooting only in a wind flag condition you have tested became extra important.

Friday morning we opened sight in practice at 7am and the 15 yard 12fpe pistol bench and Extreme Speed Silhouette games at noon.

For the pistol bench rest, competitors were allowed to shoot from bags only and could enter as many times as time allowed to improve their scores. But, the winner and 2nd place shooters of the pistol bench rest only shot one card. Randy Ebersole shot a perfect 250/250 16x with a 1 of 4 custom USFT pistol LD built a couple years ago. Eric McCormick also shot a single card 248 11x for 2nd place. Larry Durham took 3rd with a best card of 3 of 247 11x with his 1 of 1 custom USFT pistol with the hammer spring in the pistol grip. After many cards, Jim Ziegler and I tied with 246 for 4th, Jim shot LDs rig and I shot USFT pistol #3. Another point behind was Sandy Corcorran with 245 11x, and Chris Lovitt with 245 6x. Darren Taylor was next with a 242 10x and Scott Hull with 241 6x.

The speed silhouette match was the “John Bagakis Show”. He knocked over five, 7/8” targets & five, 1- 19/16” targets in 15 seconds at 35 and 50 yards. Second place was Dave Wilson with 28 seconds, third was Scott Hull with 36 seconds. John shot again “just for fun” and did it in 13 seconds! Wow, is all I can say.

We had light showers on Saturday morning and the wind was gentle and fairly predictable. Sandy Corcorran and John Bagakis scorched the course with 39/40 each and Bobby Corcorran was at 38. Still potentially in the running after day one was Larry Piercy with 36, me at 35, Randy Ebersole, at 32 and Fred Phillips at 31.

We started the EFT match earlier on Sunday morning with partly cloudy skies, readable moderate wind, and mild temps. But the wind became very tricky about halfway through the match… switching from steadily in our face from the SW to behind us quartering from both left and right and straight. It became very easy to not notice the change and get caught holding on the wrong side.

But, some of us are very good at noticing those kinds of things. People like Bobby Corcorran, who was only one shot from cleaning the course as were his wife Sandy, and John Bagakis the day before. Bobby took first and the $1,000 prize money & 3 EBR points. The $500 and 2 points for second went to John Bagakis, and $250 & 1 point to Sandy Corcorran for 3rd.

The Extreme Bench rest featured the same actors pretty much as the EFT show. Bobby shot the high score Saturday with a 214/250. Larry Piercy was not far behind with a 210/250 and Sandy Corcorran with a 209/250.

Sunday, we started the EFT match early which allowed starting the EBR match before lunch… with some eating while the first relay was shooting. That helped us get everything done sooner and traveling folks on their way home by 2 pm. John Bagakis shot the high score with a 217/250, and that moved him up to a 4th place finish. Stan Mountford shot the 2nd highest score Sunday with a 215/250 to move him into 3rd place, and Bobby shot the 3rd highest on Sunday with another 214/250 to secure a first place win in the EBR match. His wife Sandy again shined brightly with a 213/250 to take home 2nd place overall.

Here are the rest of the scores:

The second annual Airgun Oregon/AOA EFT & EBR match went smoothly and we were graced with much admiration for our efforts to host the match. We also thank all of you who traveled to attend… especially now, with the cost of travel so high.

Again thanks so much to Robert and AOA and my AirGun Oregon team. Job well done!!

Respectfully submitted,

Wayne Burns,

Match Director

AirGun Oregon

Thanks for match report and specifically all the particulars Wayne!!! 

I really like that you added the speeds at which various pellets were shot. Very interesting. How'd you get the competitors to share that classified info? lol

Also, seeing more than one high powered USFT....THAT intrigues me. Tubed USFT or bottle guns shooting at these higher powers? 

Thanks again. 

Thanks for match report and specifically all the particulars Wayne!!! 

I really like that you added the speeds at which various pellets were shot. Very interesting. How'd you get the competitors to share that classified info? lol

Also, seeing more than one high powered USFT....THAT intrigues me. Tubed USFT or bottle guns shooting at these higher powers? 

Thanks again.

We have places for that info on our score cards, and ask the competitors to fill them in before the match starts. I then use the cards to do the squading and fill in the excel worksheet for the match report.

Two USFT's were tube guns, and one is a bottle gun regulated down to 1,500 psi. LD built and tuned them all. Larry said he can get up to 60fpe from a tube gun and about 1,500 psi in .22 cal. and a little more in .25 cal.

Don't forget the Lewis and Clark history. They had Austrian built air rifles with that kind of power using 800 psi leather and brass removable, refillable containers. I think I heard they had 8 men pushing a wheel to compress the air. They so impressed the Native American populations with their demonstration's on the power and "no fire/smoke" rifles, that they gained respect and cooperation instead of hostility... Making deals and trade agreements, that were later broken by future presidents.

High power non regulated, low pressure air rifles have around a long time..

Wayne

Frank,

I used my unregulated “tube gun” at (not 920fps/1500psi) 935-945fps/25.4gr@1800psi plus. I use a larger dia titanium tube that allows more than the normal 1800psi max rating for standard USFts.

Although most components are the same or very similar similar to your 20fpe modles, I did come up with a few tricks to boost power. Believe it or not, my gun uses the identical valve/stem unit and the same size transfer port as my 20fpe riffle.

LD

Frank,

I used my unregulated “tube gun” at (not 920fps/1500psi) 935-945fps/25.4gr@1800psi plus. I use a larger dia titanium tube that allows more than the normal 1800psi max rating for standard USFts.

Although most components are the same or very similar similar to your 20fpe modles, I did come up with a few tricks to boost power. Believe it or not, my gun uses the identical valve/stem unit and the same size transfer port as my 20fpe riffle.

LD

Very cool LD. Thanks for sharing the details.