Masked Bandit Stakeout

Despite building a corn "cage" to protect the corn from ravens, crows, raccoons, squirrels...etc...something managed to sneak in and rip out most of the crop. Seeing how the corn cage was fully intact, I thought to myself," at least it wasn't a black bear". 

I was curious to see how they were getting in so I set up a couple game cameras and let them run for a couple days.

PICT1215.1603050556.jpg
PICT1222.1603050556.jpg
PICT1289.1603050557.jpg

I recently installed a 2.5" power plenum in my .22 FX Streamline and was shooting it with the reg set at 110 BAR to get more shot count. However, for this job, I cranked the Huma reg up to 130 BAR and turned my hammer spring in to get maximum power with the .22 slugs GlemChally gave me. Here they are compared to an FX Hybrid slug.

20201018_113806_resized.1603051065.jpg

I installed motion sensors around the crops to alert me where and when the racoons are in.

20201018_115557_resized.1603051305.jpg

Here is my elevated setup 20 yards from the crops.

20201014_183156_resized.1603051949.jpg

Just as the sun was setting, one of my sensors lit up so I put my beer down and swung my Streamline in it's direction and quickly had an adolescent bandit in my scope. As he started scaling the corn cage, I sent a .22 slug into his ear and watched him momentarily stiffen up like a board and drop to the ground in a fit of convulsions. I sent another slug into his brain and he was DRT.

20201017_143547_resized.1603052505.jpg

@TheIceman..."Love the way you employed beer and pizza to cover up your scent." ...The area is over populated with racoons that aren't afraid of people. I suspect someone nearby is feeding them or leaving garbage for them to dine on. I've walked past groups of 4 - 5 during my evening walks around the property that don't care I'm around. The other night, my sister-in-law had 3 in her mud room. They came in thru the cat door.

I would've had the scent of a bucket of fried chicken but there isn't a KFC close by the farm. I'm sure that would've attracted them too...lol... Thanks for the comment James. 

I grow sweet corn every year and have had a good amount of my crop destroyed more than once by raccoons. I finally got smart a few years back and put an electric fence around my garden. I have one wire 2” off the ground and then 4 more strands about 6” apart. It keeps the raccoons and rabbits out of it and insures I can put up plenty of corn and other vegetables for the winter. I just harvested it a month ago and got two five gallon bucks of corn cut off the cob and the raccoons got nothing. You might want to try an electric fence but it’s not as fun as your current method.

@Cannonball..."I just harvested it a month ago and got two five gallon bucks of corn cut off the cob and the raccoons got nothing."

Well done! Good job keeping the racoons at bay. Our corn could've used another week or two to sweeten up but we had to harvest early to save what was left of the crop. This was the worst year for racoon damage. Usually ravens do the most damage. We used to enclose the corn with netting but the ravens would just rip right through the nets hence the wire cage.

Thank you for the electric fence tip. We'll be setting up an electric fence system next year. I still have fruit and nut trees to defend with my PCP.