Maryland Airbow Regulation: Read It Carefully Before You Buy

Yes, Maryland legalized Airbow hunting as of Nov. of 2016. NO you MAY NOT hunt with said device during ARCHERY AND MUZZLELOADER SEASONS. The only season the Airbow and any other pneumatically driven arrow may be used is during the regular firearms season.

I'm posting this because this is an important distinction I missed when reading the headlines from the past few months while getting excited about the potential purchase of an Airbow, Air Venturi Wing Shot, Dragon Claw, Verminator, etc. It dampened my desire a bit.

As in other states, many string-driven archers don't like the idea of the "gun-like" Airbow intruding on thier time in the woods and they pushed back during the comment period on the proposed regulation in 2016. Even so, this state is always looking for ways to expand the deer harvest in the suburban and semi-rural environments where the deer population has gone off-the scale. Thus, the Airbow gains at least a foothold here, which is good news. Additionally big-bore airguns (.40 cal minimum) were also legalized during firearms season only. Also good news.

For reference see: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.03.04.05.htm Note the Airbow and big bores are regulated as "firearms". Be mindful of the minimum FPE requirements on big bores.

Also while trading emails with a top Department of Natural Resources official, he offered some thoughts about his personal experience after a demo with the Airbow. He said it was dead-accurate and powerful. However, he found it "at least twice as loud" as the snap/twang from even the most powerful crossbow (like mine). Notwithstanding the 400+ FPS, I would expect that at longer ranges "jumping the string" might become a significant issue which I have not seen addressed yet in the many YouTubes on the devices. I may have to spend some dough to find out for myself!

It is the exact same story in Arizona. Airbows may only be used during regular rifle season. Arizona does allow 35 caliber or larger to be used for big game (with the exception of Elk and Bison). Big Bore air rifles are not regulated as Firearms in this state, but then, firearms have few regulations in the state of Arizona. It is an open carry state, without a required permit. 

It was pretty obvious this was the approach that would have to be taken in most jurisdictions, just look at how long they've been trying to get crossbows accepted in archery season. If you hunt with an arrow launching airgun you are doing it because you want the challenge, not that you're necessarily going to get a longer or easier season. You would never get acceptance past the bow hunting lobby, at least not initially. Pushing to get airgun arrow hunting legalized should start with the path of least resistance.

As an aside, I would say that this is the reason you are better off with an Air Bolt than an AirBow; if you buy the Air Bolts they cost about $100.00 for 6, but you can also use your existing .50 caliber rifle (with other calibers coming) with bullets or roundball as well. To my way of thinking this is a much better investment than $800 on a gun which only shoots arrows (still need to buy fairly expensive arrows as well) and can't be used for anything else. Not to mention the Air Bolts out of many guns are MUCH more powerful and accurate.