March FX 5-42X56 HM VS FX 4.5-28X52 HM

Hello,

In the beginning stages of pondering a new scope for a potential Styer H5 Auto Scout in .22 (still pondering that too). Both of these scopes have caught my eye. I think the 4.5-28 would be fine, but the allure of the newer turret system only available on the 5-42 has me leaning that way. Over on Snipers Hide, folks are very happy with it. Both can be had with the FML-TR1 reticule, which I am thinking would be the best choice that way.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Not sure I looked at that scope; I’m considering that as well; however, I just purchased a March Genesis 4 x 40. I am very excited to see what it does. If you are getting a field target gun, why not consider a field target scope? Have you had any experience with this scope?
983695B0-4086-4C41-A874-937A8C128DD4.1637629066.jpeg
E5583663-072B-4B89-BC4F-94C886DB8290.1637629068.jpeg
2BF126A0-9A52-44A9-9A80-8BAFCF4669C5.1637629070.jpeg
52CA1A93-81D4-4E5F-87B0-64E23C5C39CF.1637629071.jpeg

Reactions: DaveSa
JW, that's news to me. I thought all March scopes focused down to 10Y??? GTK, I'll remember to make a mental note of that.

C158, I have the March 5-42x56. Its an excellent scope in most ways but in one particular way it has too much of a compromise. Because of the super compact length the IQ becomes dim-ish above about 37x. Actually for my old eyes it becomes slightly blurry around 40x as well as being dim-ish. I find my wifes older March FX5-40 has superior image quality at 40x if comparing these two scopes in a side by side. That being said my younger friends weren't seeing quite what I saw at higher magnification, they thought the IQ was acceptable on the bright sunny day they looked through the 5-42.

I'd go for the 4.5-28 or some other scope because I bought my 5-42 to enjoy 42x and using high magnification for me the joy is not there.

I have the 4.5-28×52 HM mounted on top of my AAA Evol Mini 22. I wanted more of a compact scope to match the gun and of course, something that will focus down to 10 yards which it does. The weight on the 4.5-28×52 is not bad at all coming in at 29.8 ounces considering it's a 34mm tube. 

I'm not sure exactly how the 5-42 locking turrets work and maybe need to do some research on it. While on Snipershide, I did recall one review where they did mention that they would have like to have seen the locking turrets of the 5-42 also on the 4.5-28x52.

I honestly don't mind not having locking turrets for elevation as long as they don't get bumped out of position. For windage, a locking or capped turret is fine with me. As far as optical clarity, I haven't had enough time with it and only looked through my 4.5-28 within airgun ranges. I don't live in an area that allows me to look at ranges longer than 150 yards.

I usually have mine set anywhere between 10-20 power but mostly shoot with it set at 12x-15× and 20x for certain targets at 50 yards. I would say it's not as sharp or crisp with it set at max power (28x). 20x works for my eyes. What I really dig is the Wide Angle lens on the High Master series. When comparing to other scopes, there is such a huge difference in FOV and makes others feel like you're looking through a toilet paper tube. I also like the FML-TR1 reticle with the .075 MIL floating dot. I think it's the perfect size for my eyes especially at lower and mid power levels.

The 4.5-28x52 HM is great in low light. I compared it to my Athlon Cronus BTR G2 a few weeks ago looking through both at a shady area with some sunlight peeking through the trees during sunset and the Cronus looked washed out compared to my March at the same magnification levels. I also have a Kahles K525i that I want to compare it to when it gets back from Austria for warranty repair.

To conclude, I wish I had the time and range to sit down with all my optics to do some comparisons during bright and low light conditions to give an honest evaluation. In your situation, I think you'll have to figure out what's more important to you and your needs. Things such as what power levels would you be mostly shooting at, shooting style, hunting, target, PRS/NRL. Choosing an optic is so subjective. 

20211017_140500.1637360429.jpg

Edit:

Sitting here as I type this having my morning coffee waiting for some doves to land on a tree 56 yards away. I'm also trying out the sunshade that came with it.

20211120_082726.1637361132.jpg

Thank you for the reply. Rumor has it the 4.5-28 will be updated with the 5-42 turrets, but there is no eta. I will say, that if it DID have those turrets right now, I would just go that route. However, the 5-42 is not too much heavier and not too much longer either. And why not just get more magnification? I am guessing the sweet spot would be 25 to 30X for me at 100yards or so. 

Its a dealer friend of mine that "owes me one" he quoted me the price. I did not know if that was good or bad really as I had not looked into the scope yet more than mentioning to him I was pondering it. He said I wouldn't find a better price. Having looked around online, it would appear not only is he right, but I would venture to say he is selling it near his cost?? Not sure what the margin is on March scopes, but would think they are not very high given their low volume.

I too love the FML-TR1 reticle. The older I get the more I appreciate a slightly thicker reticle in FFP scopes.

Never once have I missed something because the reticle was thicker. On the other hand I was able to see better the contrast between the reticle and the background which is helpful, especially on mid to lower magnification.

Reactions: DaveSa