Marauder Semi-Automatic loading discharge issue with Crosman *updated

I had an incident last night with the Marauder SAM that is making me consider returning it and also share my experience with the boards. 

In short, the rifle fired off a pellet during the reloading process without the trigger being pulled and with the trigger safety on. I did not adjust the trigger in any way whatsoever fyi.

In long, the rifle is reloaded by pulling back a spring loaded pellet probe [it does not lock back] and inserting the magazine and then releasing quickly allowing the probe to spring into place and load a pellet. You then push the bolt handle and pellet seater forward to make sure it's all clicked into place. I had done this about 10-15 times in test shooting and testing pellet accuracy. I observed that of the box it was set up to shoot 14-15 grain pellets. Then last night I increased the hammer tension with a 1/4 hex key as the manual directs to shoot some heavier pellets. The HST was not maxed out or within at least two full rotations of being maxed out. I turned it about 4 times from stock to increase the velocity of a jsb 18 from 763 to 813 where turning the spring stopped increasing the velocity. I backed out the spring tension until the velocity started to drop. I loaded about 5 magazines during this process without incident. I was really excited at this point because the rifle was getting 50 shots with the jsb 18 at 28 ft lbs so it stayed quite air-efficient. At this point I'm reloading the final time, the rifle is de-cocked and on safe. I pull back the probe, slide another mag in, relea-POP!!!! I was home alone at the time- which is the only time I shoot anyway so no injuries, pellet ended up on my kitchen floor after bouncing off this and that (I am shooting from inside my house out the back door). The rifle did not auto-cycle to the next pellet but rather the probe got stuck forward in the magazine so it did not cycle. I removed the mag, made sure the barrel was empty, de-cocked and then went looking for the box.

*Edit - As you can see in the thread below Crosman reached out and to connect with me and discuss the mechanics of what happened with that they believe likely happened. I'm just a guy who bought an airgun but ended up on a conference call with two of the inventors/designers of the rifle- pretty neat. The issue was pretty quickly determined to be a "slam fire" that, due to the nature of the hammer, had enough juice to launch the pellet out of the barrel. It was not a full discharge. This explains why the pellet probe got stuck in the mag, there was no gas from the discharge to propel it back. One thing they explained at length is that this can only happen when the rifle is de-cocked. Over the phone I got walked through the trigger mechanism to demonstrate how to feel whether the rifle is cocked. Basically the point is that when the rifle is de-cocked you need to pull back on the charging handle until you hear an audible "click", and this requires a good amount of force compared to a standard marauder, once it clicks you can feel the pressure let off, Crosman said that this is the engagement of the trigger sear- and after that nothing can happen unless the trigger is pulled. If you didn't hear the click and aren't fully cocked, you will notice that sliding the handle forward has a distinct two-stage feel, where if the rifle is cocked property the handle will slide forward smoothly like floating in oil. So there's nothing wrong with my rifle and nothing unsafe about this platform, which these guys took two full years of their time to develop and you can hear their pride in it.

I would just advise people looking at this model that when it is loaded from the de-cocked position, it can slam fire with decent enough force to propel a pellet out of the barrel, so either pay special attention to the full motion of the charging handle, don't decock the gun, or better yet cock the gun and THEN load the magazine. When its cocked, this can't happen, no matter how many times you sling the charging handle forward.

I hope this was helpful to everyone and they appreciate that a cool tight-knit community where the guys who make these rifles are so responsible and accessible.

Reactions: thetoyman
Thanks for the info. Hope Crosman is informed as well.

".....At this point I'm reloading the final time, the rifle is de-cocked and on safe. I pull back the probe, slide another mag in, relea-POP!!!! ...."

What do you mean de-cocked? It's a semi-auto so I assume that there is pressure still from the previous shot, unless there is a process by which to release that pressure (besides firing a shot). Did the trigger slip while on safe, or some other way that pressure got released?

Good to know,I would think things over before sending something back,I like to make sure it was not something I caused.I say that because I have adjusted triggers to fine and the rifle fired in an unsafe manner ,my fault.I also like to be a detective...what caused it to happen.....of course no buyer needs to do that,unsafe is unsafe.

Thank you for sharing and please keep us informed on the outcome.....Would want a replacement or get your money back??

To answer as best I can, the rifle can be de-cocked like a regular rifle if you hold the trigger down while easing forward the pellet probe/hammer, so pulling the trigger doesn't release anything. The semi-auto is supposedly designed with a separate pellet probe and hammer, so the gas from the first shot resets the hammer mechanism while the probe is free to slide forward and load another pellet. So when it is decocked and you go to load it, the first time you pull back the handle when inserting the mag it cocks the rifle and when you release it slams a pellet forward into the barrel. Then you can pull the trigger for all your shots, the last shot is a dead end in the magazine, so the probe is blocked but you can still fire off as many dry fire shots are you want for every trigger pull until you de-cock the rifle. Hope this helps

PS I'm seeking a refund not a replacement, I adjusted it as the manufacturer recommended and did not touch the trigger at all. I'm not looking for a mini-heart attack every time I want to relax and plink. I'm still looking for whoever crapped in my britches from this past experience

Its totally normal for auto reload type semiauto airguns to act weird just like that when Their air or come and that's my reminder to pay attention and don't shoot them below a certain pressure gets real low. I wouldn't worry about it is that was the case. It happened to me many times with lots of different brands of auto loading semi auto airguns as a reminder to pay attention on remaining cylinder pressure and count number of used magazines for shot count.

Many times the guns would do a full auto air dump to release the last remaining air when dipped top low.

It gives the owners a much greater much needed responsibility to be extra mindful to pretend it's an Ar-15 that's always loaded and chambered ready to fire always regarding all true semiauto airguns.

If it was indeed low on air then that is a normal characteristic of those types of guns even on safe. Your gun probably wanted to do a full auto air dump on you going full auto IMHO.

Just refill way before it gets too low on air it's that simple.

I had an incident last night with the Marauder SAM that is forcing me to return it and also share my experience with the boards.

In short, the rifle fired off a pellet during the reloading process without the trigger being pulled and with the trigger safety on. I did not adjust the trigger in any way whatsoever fyi.

In long, the rifle is reloaded by pulling back a spring loaded pellet probe [it does not lock back] and inserting the magazine and then releasing quickly allowing the probe to spring into place and load a pellet. You then push the bolt handle and pellet seater forward to make sure it's all clicked into place. I had done this about 10-15 times in test shooting and testing pellet accuracy. I observed that of the box it was set up to shoot 14-15 grain pellets. Then last night I increased the hammer tension with a 1/4 hex key as the manual directs to shoot some heavier pellets. The HST was not maxed out or within at least two full rotations of being maxed out. I turned it about 4 times from stock to increase the velocity of a jsb 18 from 763 to 813 where turning the spring stopped increasing the velocity. I backed out the spring tension until the velocity started to drop. I loaded about 5 magazines during this process without incident. I was really excited at this point because the rifle was getting 50 shots with the jsb 18 at 28 ft lbs so it stayed quite air-efficient. At this point I'm reloading the final time, the rifle is de-cocked and on safe. I pull back the probe, slide another mag in, relea-POP!!!! I was home alone at the time- which is the only time I shoot anyway so no injuries, pellet ended up on my kitchen floor after bouncing off this and that (I am shooting from inside my house out the back door). The rifle did not auto-cycle to the next pellet but rather the probe got stuck forward in the magazine so it did not cycle. I removed the mag, made sure the barrel was empty, de-cocked and then went looking for the box.

So I don't take it lightly that sharing this experience may stop someone from buying one of these, but as this is a safety issue I don't feel I have a choice.

Hey,

I’m Phillip Guadalupe the product manager for this rifle. Can you contact me at 585-622-2266 or at [email protected]. I would like to talk to you about this rifle and your experience. 

best regards 

Phillip

Hey,

I’m Phillip Guadalupe the product manager for this rifle. Can you contact me at 585-622-2266 or at [email protected]. I would like to talk to you about this rifle and your experience. 

best regards 

Phillip

I would like to commend Crosman for stepping up and getting this figured out. May well be a low air situation.

Thank you. You can ask anyone that knows me in the industry. I take my job serious and try to deliver the best product that meets or exceeds the consumer demands. This rifle has been in the work for a long time so when something is wrong I want to know and see what can be done. I'm glad that this was brought to my attention.

Im the guy also behind the New Benjamin Cayden, Akela and Kratos so I have been keeping a eye on the forums when it comes to those rifles.

Im the guy also behind the New Benjamin Cayden, Akela and Kratos so I have been keeping a eye on the forums when it comes to those rifles.

When you say you’re the guy behind it, does that mean you designed them?

I’m the Product Manager so by designing I pretty much spec out what I want and how I want it to look. The engineers make that happen for me but they really do the “design” work of it.

Reactions: fe7565

When you say you’re the guy behind it, does that mean you designed them?

I’m the Product Manager so by designing I pretty much spec out what I want and how I want it to look. The engineers make that happen for me but they really do the “design” work of it.

Awesome, I’m liking the direction you’re taking with these new platforms. Good to have you on the forum chiming in to help. 

6 hours the Company product manager responds to a thread about a problem with his rifles, giving you his phone number. Have heard it takes much longer to get any asked for responses, let alone the product manager with some of these fancy Asian/European rifles. ..

Just my opinion, but with a 5 year warranty, and a very responsive company when it comes to warranties, with one of the best 5 year warranty in the Air Rifle market I know of, wouldn't be so fast to return it without at least a detailed conversation with the right people at Crosman.

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it, Maybe instead of immediately reaching for the box and a stamp, even though it seems to be a safety issue, might give them a chance to make it right or at least hear their response/resolution. Defective products occasionally pop up in any industry, even with intensive quality control... I'd be extremely surprised if Crosman let out a rifle thats normal operation includes unintended fire with safety on.

Glad you were pointing the rifle in a safe direction as thats really basic rifle safety with all guns, loaded or not. At least thats what I was taught when very young.

jmo