Marauder Question

Volunteer fire department... will do. Good one.

Long or short, does not make much difference for me. I shoot a short AR and a long Bolt rifle so I'm use to changing back and forth.

DO I know what day it is? Hell Ya I do..... but sadly I'll have to wait till next Friday. I am really looking forward to doing this. I've shot targets before and it can be boring if you let it. I look at it as bettering myself each time I go out. Trying new stuff or upgrading and getting it to work better then before. I enjoy challenging myself. So I hope the Marauder is up to some heavy use.

OK guys.... question time( NOT my fault cause it's from some of the comments) .177 or .22. Can the .22 shoot with low enough energy to end a squirrel and not penetrate to badly? Like I said, I'm all crammed in with houses all around and for sure I want to play it safe. Always.... safety first no matter how much it hurts!

Airslave,

The Marauder can go way lower than it's factory setting. Factory is a 10.5 grain pellet at around 930 FPS or so. A 12 ft lb. gun is a 8.44 grain pellet at around 800 FPS. This is with a .177.
That being said, I accidentally hit a squirrel in the butt at 70 yards as I was sighting in my Marauder. At 55 yards, the gun does 6.6 ft.lbs. At 70 yards, this energy was obviously less. He then ran out to a tree 85 yards away, and struggled to stay on a branch. I decided to take him, and not let him suffer, as I could see blood on his rear. Head shot at 85 yards, took him right down. Pellet at that distance probably was only going way less than 500 FPS. Felt bad, not a hunter, but I had to do it.
Your Marauder in either caliber will shoot well under 500 FPS at the muzzle if adjusted properly. Keep in mind that our UK freinds use 12 ft.lbs for squirrel and rabbits all day long.

Hope this gives some insight into the details of lower velocities.

Tom Holland 

Thanks. I think the .177 will do better. It was my first thought and I'm still leaning towards the plus's vs the .22. I have a .22 brake barrel that is better suited for larger pests and is a good plinker but only fair for accuracy at 35 yards that will nag the crap outta me.
Being in the US I'm not limited by the 12 FPE rule so the .22 will be the next one. Having both Marauder's will be a great pair to shoot short and long. 

Chrony and Tank are on the next list...... more stuff!!!!! In the meantime, I'll check out the fire department and scuba shops for filling options.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise. I'm picking up on most of it but I have a long way to go and that's fine with me. I like to learn new stuff.

Friday is the day!!!

Airslave - .I kinda wish I had the Marauder in .177 at the moment. I'd like to tune it down for more shots per fill as I do mostly target shooting. With the .22, you can tune it down, but due to the weight of the pellet, not nearly as low as Tom takes his.

As for "More Stuff", eventually the accessories like tanks and chronographs are bought and you can concentrate on shooting. The "Support System" for a PCP is expensive as you've noticed, but once you have it, you can add more PCP's and it's just the cost of the gun for the most part. 

Keep us posted on progress. We are all still learning. 

Saltlake58 and everyone....

I have a long way to go. I might be asking questions not but I'm pretty good mechanically and still have a few brain marbles rolling around. Shot count will probably be the first thing I will notice. I probably won't be paying attention to how many I've shot but rather the excitement of a new hobbly, which I might add I should have been doing a long time ago.
I'm pretty careful and methodical going about things, especially something new. I've seen the mod videos and they are very interesting. There are a lot of things you can to to a Marauder, and to be fair, a lot of other guns.

Support system, mods, tear down and rebuild...... All kind of things to tinker with are coming my way. If this is what Airgunnation is all about, I commend everyone! for sharing your knowledge, suggestions and teaching new airgunners the right way to get started, things to improve and enjoy the sport. I thank you all!!

Now I just need for Friday to get here so I can touch it and relize I've just jumped into something new and wonderful. 

I will let you know on Friday the order is done!

I could use suggestions to get a tank. Where to order, size and any adapters needed. It uses a quick connect fitting(can't remember the name of it) but how standard are the connectors from the tank to the rifle for each manufacturer? When I order the tank do I just tell them what gun it's for? 

Thanks everyone for all the help...

I'll be a basket care by Friday.................... but still excited!

Airslave,

My recommendation is to get tha largest capacity carbon fiber 4500 PSI tank you can afford. You will thank yourself for doing that down the road. It's great to fill a tank every month or two, rather than every 2 weeks. That many trips to the dive shop in the course of a year will wear thin after a while.
I would go with JB Airman for the purchase. He supplies all you need, the standard fill Foster fitting, and gauges. It'll be hard to beat his prices, and he will give you top notch service and support.

Tom Holland 

"Xbowsniper"Airslave,
I accidentally hit a squirrel in the butt at 70 yards as I was sighting in my Marauder. Felt bad, not a hunter, but I had to do it.
Tom Holland
Tom now that is too funny!! It reminds me of some of the stories I hear while watching, "North Woods Law" (great show BTW)
I don't want to come off sounding like one of the game wardens on NWL but I gotta ask; what was the intended target when you were "sighting" in your gun?
Was the squirrel hiding behind your target holder or was he holding the target holder up in the tree for you taunting you to take a shot?
I've always believed if you shoot at an animal with a gun, that qualifies you as a hunter. Just sayin'.....
Great shooting BTW. I enjoy your FT videos, I'm a subscriber,keep them up!
Hope to attend a match with you someday. 

Davecole,

Haha....
Does sound kinda funny......
If you watched my last range video, you'll see the target backer I'm taliking about. Same one that I used in that video. It blocks the view from 55 yds+. At around 65 yds or so, there is a dip, kinda a hole in the terrain, the squirrel was in that depression. If the target backer wasn't there, I'm not sure if he would even be visible. That, coupled with the loopiness of a 12 ft. Lb gun, and him being at the wrong place and time, was unfortunate for him. I still feel bad. The only animal I can kill with a clear conscience and feel no remorse, is a rat.
Glad you are enjoying the videos, much more to come. I'll be at most GP matches, and local matches (within 4 hour drive or so from NYC) here on the East Coast. Looking forward to meeting you as well.
I'll give you a heads up, I'll be running a free contest on my channel, with some cool prizes. Video will be up later tonight, or tomorrow. Keep watching 

Tom Holland

Airslave - Shot Count - from the factory, the .177 and .22 Marauders are rated at around 30 shots per fill. You can increase shot count by following Tom's lead. I'm still shooting stock from the factory and gotta admit refilling every 30 shots gets old.

As for tanks, couple things to think of here. I agree that bigger is better. I have a small, 90 cubic inch tank and wish it was larger, though it has one advantage. Most 4500 PSI tanks are not "Regulated". The Air Venturi 90 cubic inch tanks are regulated to approximately 3000 PSI. That means you can have 4500 PSI in the Air Venturi tank, but it only allows up to 3000 PSI to flow out. You cannot overfill the Marauder that only wants 3000 PSI. Another advantage is that if you buy an extension fill whip (under $30 usually), you can shoot "Tethered" to the Air Venturi bottle. This does not help if hunting, but if shooting from the bench, you can shoot until the larger tank is dry instead of refilling every 30.

Downside is that you only get 10 to 12 refills (300 ish shots) out of the Air Venturi tank before it needs to be refilled, where a larger tank will get you 50 or more refills. You can buy a regulator for larger tanks, but they don't normally come with one is my understanding.

I just got my tank refilled tonight. For the FX Impact, I get 3 to 4 refills, about the same 300-ish shots as the Impact has a bigger onboard tank.

The Air Venturi tank comes with everything you need to refill. Tank, refill station and all connectors for standard foster fittings like the Marauder uses. Nothing extra to buy

Great Info!!!

I know the tank/reg are needed but they are one time buy and can be used for later buys. Since I'm going to buy only Marauder I'm pretty safe as for the tank. Later if needed I can get another tank. 

300 shots should last a weekend of fun but that depends on how MUCH fun I'm having. 

The squirrel thing was funny. It's called "A moment of weakness". We have all had at least one "moment". I have to admit though.... squirrels test your "moment" sometimes.
Also, squirrels can cause lots of damage. Try getting one out of your attic and you'll see. I put them on the same list as rats.....

Thanks again for the info. I'll start look at tanks now.

Airslave - A true story from the archives of my mind -

many many years ago, I worked in a major department store (which even after 40 years, shall remain nameless)

They had a pet department at the time and sold Parakeets. A couple got loose. They flew around the store for a few days, we left food out for them, and tried to coax them back into the cages to no avail.

One day, the Sporting Goods manager watched one of the Parakeets do a barrel roll through the Salad Bar, so Enough was Enough!

He broke out the pellet guns (I believe we returned them to the manufacturer after a while as returns!) and we all came in after the store closed. Sure enough in a back corner of the store, in the exposed steel rafters, there were the birds. We killed all of them to keep them from "Damaging" the store and contents (and to keep us from getting sick at the lunch counter!)

Funny thing was that the ceiling tiles above the birds we shot, already had pellet holes from previous shooters. We didn't see any other holes in the ceiling, so must assume we weren't the first to dispatch escaped birds at the very same location.

One second a PET the next a PEST. Amazing how fast it changes.

Squirrels are great outside, but in your attic?? Nope, they need to stay outside.

Airslave,

A 90 ci tank is a little smaller than a football. You'll get a little less than a dozen topoffs from that tank
What you would be looking for would be an 80 or 88 cubic FOOT tank, not to be confused with cubic inches. These tanks are about 2 feet in length, and 8-9 inches in diameter. You should get almost 50 if not more topoffs from these tanks. Great White is one brand that's popular, if you send JB Airman an email, he can sort you out, and recommend the setup that's right for you.

Tom Holland 

After all the good reviews on the marauder here’s my two cents.No doubt in my mind the marauder is a nice rifle but I owned one problem is stock feels like a 4x4 there not that lite fairly long and there’s no one on this site is going to tell me hand pumping to 3000 psi gets old REAL FAST. If this is gonna be a stater PCP for you I would look into the Disco package .out to 50 yards it will match accuracy with marauder .plus side is nice little gun it only needs to be pumped too2000 psi still a pain.

Well.... the synthetic was out of stock.... so I ordered the wood stock. It's ordered!!!!

Getting ready to contact JB Airman for a tank. 

I see on his web site he has the tank and fill adapter for really good price. I know he has taken a bunch of flack for his web site but I don't think it's to bad but I haven't gotten on the ordering page yet so I guess I'll find out.