• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Marauder Pistol for PFT? Crazy idea?

Well, yes, the thread seems to have derailed from the original topic but all's good. Carry on.

Not much to report with the project. Have had snow and nasty weather till the last day or two so no outside airgunnin' going on lately.

Today I shot up most of the tin of Predator GTO pellets I ordered trying to find some speed the gun will tell me it likes. Might need to buy more. $$$$
So far the pistol's not talkin to me about a favorite speed.
I've shot them between 640 fps to 675 fps but I'm really trying to stay below the 12 fpe mark.
No good groups to report at 30 yards yet. Maybe I need to start a little closer and then move out from there if I find something that seems to be working.

I bought a tin of H&N FTT Green 9.56 gr to try also but they're not working real great either.
I have some JSB 13.43's sitting here I might try in the next couple days. Can't hurt I suppose.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm getting the feeling that .22 pellets @<12 fpe may just be flying too slow to group accurately.
I'll keep trying and will report back with anything positive that takes place.
Take Care all........

Well, yes, the thread seems to have derailed from the original topic but all's good. Carry on.

Not much to report with the project. Have had snow and nasty weather till the last day or two so no outside airgunnin' going on lately.

Today I shot up most of the tin of Predator GTO pellets I ordered trying to find some speed the gun will tell me it likes. Might need to buy more. $$$$
I've shot them between 640 fps to 675 fps but I'm really trying to stay below the 12 fpe mark.
No good groups to report at 30 yards yet. Maybe I need to start a little closer and then move out from there if I find something that seems to be working.

I bought a tin of H&N FTT Green 9.56 gr to try also but they're not working real great either.
I have some JSB 13.43's sitting here I might try in the next couple days. Can't hurt I suppose.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm getting the feeling that .22 pellets @<12 fpe may just be flying too slow to group accurately.
Take Care all........
Nice to hear you had some decent weather to shoot some groups. I found using my Prod and a 13.43 falcon Air Arm grouped really well. Velocity at 590-610 was fantastic. You want to stay under 12 fpe by at least 20 fps. If using a regulator then you can tune a little closer but no need really imo.

Like you said move the distance a little closer for pistol. I get a lot of work done between 10 yards and 25 yards.
For groups trying out different pellets types I like 20 yards. I want one holers.

Ronnie

I've set up my 1950s vintage Crosman 180 .22 pistol conversion for AAFTA field target. By shooting 14.3 grain JSBs at maximum power, mounting the scope higher than I usually prefer, and plotting an intelligent zero-range, my point-of-impact is within .40" at all AAFTA pistol field target ranges to 33 yards, and only .61" low at 35 yards. See the 'path' column below for details.

View attachment 431353

The 1950s vintage Crosman field target pistol-

View attachment 431354

Close-up of the adjustable trigger mechanism producing crisp-as-glass 8-10 ounce trigger-breaks-

View attachment 431356
damn damn i need to learn how to graph and chart like that ? APP ?

Take Care all........
The key is "looking good while shooting poopty" a james bond 007 quote

Nice to hear you had some decent weather to shoot some groups. I found using my Prod and a 13.43 falcon Air Arm grouped really well. Velocity at 590-610 was fantastic. You want to stay under 12 fpe by at least 20 fps. If using a regulator then you can tune a little closer but no need really imo.

Like you said move the distance a little closer for pistol. I get a lot of work done between 10 yards and 25 yards.
For groups trying out different pellets types I like 20 yards. I want one holers.

Ronnie
Pea Shooter,
Thank you for the advice!
I'm about out of the Predtor GTO's so I'll order some of the 13.43 Falcon / Air Arm's and try them at 590-610 like you suggest.
I'll also move the target in to 10 yards and start there and then move farther out if some good groups start happening.
I don't have a reg. in the Marauder, but I do have a Huma in both my 1720T and 1704P Silhouette pistols.
I was hoping to try and keep the project budget down with this one so I'm just trying to work with what I have for now.
What moderator are you running? Your rig looks awesome!
Hi Trout,
It is a TKO. Not quite as quiet as a Donny FL Sumo I have, but quiet enough for "backyard" and certainly looks better than the "soup can". ;) Plus, Mike at TKO is a great guy and very interesting to talk to.
The stock is from Steve Corcorran Woods & Water. I originally bought it to use for FT on my 1720T but discovered that I screwed up when I purchased it and that it was really intended more for benchrest than FT. I have what I believe is a Vernon Austin on the 1720T now, so the green laminate stock was just sitting here. That's a little bit of what prompted me to start this project. Maybe I'll get the 3 guns together and take a picture and post it here.
The key is "looking good while shooting poopty" a james bond 007 quote
(y):cool:

Reactions: Pea Shooter
"I'm getting the feeling that .22 pellets @<12 fpe may just be flying too slow to group accurately."

I've gotten great accuracy to 35-50 yards with 14.3 grain JSBs at 12 foot pounds with several pistols; my standard for FT pistols being 3/4" average groups at 35 yards (maximum AAFTA pistol range); 1" average at 50. Among those pistols are a couple PP700's, a PP750, and aforementioned 1950s vintage Sears & Roebuck FT pistol.

180 HPA pistol.JPG

Cropped AirMax.JPG

You might want to consider abandoning the quest for speed, as 14.3s at about 600 FPS are flat-shooting enough to 35 yards.

Reactions: SAZ
You might want to consider abandoning the quest for speed, as 14.3s at about 600 FPS are flat-shooting enough to 35 yards.

AirNGasman:
Well, I'm just learning all this tuning stuff, so thanks to everyone's positive suggestions.
The Crosman/Benjamin pistols seem to be a great learners tool. Very Forgiving and work well within a wide range of adjustments is what it seems like.

I was "assuming" that the pellets were going too slow to bring the group together well. That's what happens when you assume I guess, huh?
I'll give it a try slowing things down a little and see how that goes with a few of these different pellets.

Thank you Frank for the info. I'm not sure what the settings are from the "factory" for the Marauder pistol.
I bought this one used and have no idea what was done to it. If anything.
I'm guessing, but from the blue anodized air transfer port in it, I wonder if that has been upgraded with a Hill product.

Anyway, I've been fooling around with the Predator GTO's 11.75 gr. I have left today and here's the best "cherry group" I could pick so far:

5 shot group at 20 yards from bench & a bag.
I might be closing in on a speed the gun likes to shoot these pellets but LoL I only have about 10 pellets left in the tin.
The FPS sure bounces around a lot with these non-lead pellets. Do chronographs have a hard time picking up non-lead pellets? Or?

Cameron recommended 650-675 fps, so it looks like his suggestion is about right on the money. Thanks!
I'll revisit this once I order some more of these pellets. Until then I'll play around with some other brands / weights I have around here.
chrono shot.jpg
target 2-1502024.jpg

A 12fpe tune.
This tune will stack the Crosman 14.3 domes into one hole, all day long.
Just so you know……This is the factory tune:

View attachment 435773

Frank, if you figure out what (lower) charge pressure your bell-curve starts producing about 620 FPS (shot # 17 above) and charge only that high, you can get a nice 20 shot bell-curve power-band with an extreme spread of only about 30 FPS, rather than over 100. Then your one-hole stacks will be even smaller!😁

And who doesn't like smaller holes?:eek:

Errr... I mean, stacks.😂

Post 51 to current .... Unregulated. IMO not ideal, but usable if paying attention.

Having built numerous 1720's with regulator, set up with a LW hammer and tuned for >12 fpe & PFT duty ..... Enough shots to make a 40 shot PFT match w/o a refill is common.
ES on the 40 commonly inside 15 fps.
Have good D.O.P.E. ..... shoot it by the numbers for the entire match just making sure your a solid 3K fill before you start match after your practice session :oops:

Reactions: SAZ and AirNGasman
Thank you Frank for the info. I'm not sure what the settings are from the "factory" for the Marauder pistol.
I bought this one used and have no idea what was done to it. If anything.
I'm guessing, but from the blue anodized air transfer port in it, I wonder if that has been upgraded with a Hill product.

Anyway, I've been fooling around with the Predator GTO's 11.75 gr. I have left today and here's the best "cherry group" I could pick so far:

5 shot group at 20 yards from bench & a bag.
I might be closing in on a speed the gun likes to shoot these pellets but LoL I only have about 10 pellets left in the tin.
The FPS sure bounces around a lot with these non-lead pellets. Do chronographs have a hard time picking up non-lead pellets? Or?

Cameron recommended 650-675 fps, so it looks like his suggestion is about right on the money. Thanks!
I'll revisit this once I order some more of these pellets. Until then I'll play around with some other brands / weights I have around here.
View attachment 435818 View attachment 435819
the blue T-port is factory.

Extreme spread is way huge lol.

Make a custom T-port sized correctly and you will have an extreme spread of about 12-15 fps. I’ve Done it a zillion times on prods.
Set hammer to max. Stroke to zero or maybe 1/8 turn.
You will get a 1,000 usable psi and shot count in the 30,s with out a regulator.
3,000 psi - 2,000 psi.

I tuned so many I made a few bracelets 😊
I’ll see if I can add a pic!
T-Port sized somewhere between .058-.068”
If start at .058 and work up gradually. The T-Port will dictate the velocity.
Velocity 590-610 using a 13.43 grain.

Reactions: AirNGasman and SAZ
the blue T-port is factory.

Extreme spread is way huge lol.

Make a custom T-port sized correctly and you will have an extreme spread of about 12-15 fps. I’ve Done it a zillion times on prods.
Set hammer to max. Stroke to zero or maybe 1/8 turn.
You will get a 1,000 usable psi and shot count in the 30,s with out a regulator.
3,000 psi - 2,000 psi.

I tuned so many I made a few bracelets 😊
I’ll see if I can add a pic!
T-Port sized somewhere between .058-.068”
If start at .058 and work up gradually. The T-Port will dictate the velocity.
Velocity 590-610 using a 13.43 grain.

☑️ Order more pellets.
☑️ Order a few spare air T-ports because I know there's a good chance I'll need them before this is over. :rolleyes:
☑️ Refill air bottle.

Thanks Pea Shooter for the step by step instructions!
It'll be a couple days before I get back to this project but I'll chime in soon.

I have a set of number drills so is the recommendation to start at "0.058" and shoot a test string then enlarge the air T-port in, say, "0.002" increments up to "0.060", then "0.062" and so on till I get to the velocity you're recommending with hammer at max and stroke around zero or 1/8 turn ?
Your instructions seemed pretty straightforward, but I just want to be sure before proceeding.

☑️ Order more pellets.
☑️ Order a few spare air T-ports because I know there's a good chance I'll need them before this is over. :rolleyes:
☑️ Refill air bottle.

Thanks Pea Shooter for the step by step instructions!
It'll be a couple days before I get back to this project but I'll chime in soon.

I have a set of number drills so is the recommendation to start at "0.058" and shoot a test string then enlarge the air T-port in, say, "0.002" increments up to "0.060", then "0.062" and so on till I get to the velocity you're recommending with hammer at max and stroke around zero or 1/8 turn ?
Your instructions seemed pretty straightforward, but I just want to be sure before proceeding.
🏆🏆🏆
Perfect!!
Sounds like you have it down. 👍👍

And this technique can be used for any pellet you wish to use. You may have to tweak the T-Port a little when changing pellet types but not always.

One final note -
I liked to run my hammer dry. No wet lube. So maybe wipe out and clean any lube from hammer area. Perhaps a dry lube or no lube at all works the best when it comes to being thermo sensitive. So on hot or cold days she runs the same.

Ray Appealus taut me this trick. And everyone knows how awesome he is when it comes to competition.

Cheers

Ronnie