• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Marauder not always firing

I just bought a Marauder .25 and I'm having a minor issue with it. Cycling the bolt does not always cock the rifle. What I mean is that I will pull back the bolt all the way (I make sure to use a good amount of force to ensure this), it will pick up the next pellet, but pressing the trigger does nothing. Usually doing it one more time works. But that results in a double feed. I must have had a dozen or so double feeds until I realized this was happening. Thankfully my baffles look new still and there weren't any bad repercussions.

But I just have no idea what I could be doing wrong. I know I am pulling all the way back on it (even though it's more difficult than I would expect it to be).

Ideas?

I bought a Marauder .25 a year ago and I had that happen to me also. It is a bigger spring than the Discovery .22 I had before and it does take more force to pull back for full cock. You just have to make sure you use enough "pull" to get all the way. Get a grip on the stock when you cycle it and if you don't get a shot off open the bolt all the way and remove the mag, then close the bolt and take the shot. Reinstall mag and continue shooting. It takes a deliberate tug, not like a firearm bolt, but you get used to it. It's a great gun and very accurate. Enjoy!

What Bruce54 said, along with opening up the magazines and moving the spring to the next hole to gain a bit more tension as the magazine cycles, there are YouTube vids on modifying the Marauder magazines, and the ones that show readjust,ent of the spring is what to look for. 

Mine did did the same thing, and after I did the magazine thing, and lathered up a light coat of moly paste on the slotted holes that the hammer lug rides against(lather up the lugs, too, both the Hammer and cocking Bolt lugs) all that went away. 

It almost sounds like something is preventing the hammer from being fully retracted and the sear doesn't catch. Is it a new gun?

Clean it. Dirt and or lead in the action.

Have you adjusted the trigger pull to lighten it up? You can over adjust the trigger to the point where the sear has very little contact with the hammer, this is a very dangerous condition as the rifle can go off if bumped without any trigger pull force. This could explain why the sear doesn't always catch on the hammer when cocking it.

Brand new rifle. The only thing I've adjusted is the hex screw on the left. When the rifle came, i couldn't pull back the bolt all the way. After some googling I found it's because they occasionally come with that screw too loose. Screwed it in and cycling worked.

I bought a Marauder .25 a year ago and I had that happen to me also. It is a bigger spring than the Discovery .22 I had before and it does take more force to pull back for full cock. You just have to make sure you use enough "pull" to get all the way. Get a grip on the stock when you cycle it and if you don't get a shot off open the bolt all the way and remove the mag, then close the bolt and take the shot. Reinstall mag and continue shooting. It takes a deliberate tug, not like a firearm bolt, but you get used to it. It's a great gun and very accurate. Enjoy!

I'm definitely pulling as far back as I can.

What Bruce54 said, along with opening up the magazines and moving the spring to the next hole to gain a bit more tension as the magazine cycles, there are YouTube vids on modifying the Marauder magazines, and the ones that show readjust,ent of the spring is what to look for. 

Mine did did the same thing, and after I did the magazine thing, and lathered up a light coat of moly paste on the slotted holes that the hammer lug rides against(lather up the lugs, too, both the Hammer and cocking Bolt lugs) all that went away.

Can it really be a magazine issue? It seems like the issue is that for some reason cycling the bolt occasionally does not recock the trigger

Sorry forum upgrades have keep me off all day, it'll be bigger & better soon tho I reckon.

NO. NOT the weight adjustment. It has nothing to do with sear engagement. Your owners manual - or down load the PDF online- has trigger adjustment instructions.

I'm fairly sure you want to turn ti/them anti-clockwise but it's been a while so I'll not offer even that. Just read the manual.

John

Very possible issue which is not too uncommon....easy fix.

1) Remove rifle from stock 

2) partially loosen the 3 screws holding the trigger group to the air tube

3) press/hold the trigger group forward (towards the fill assembly) and re-tighten

4) enjoy, do not need to de-gas for this operation.

What the above does is moves the sear/trigger forward a few tenth of an inch or so at most which allows better sear / hammer engagement...it also slightly increases/decreases hammer throw.

The other possiblity as a few have mentioned could be trigger adjustments, possibly need to increase the first or second stage for proper sear engagement. Easy to tinker and test with magazine out while making small adjustments and repeated tests. Good luck