Tuning Marauder Gauge thread change

Hard Air Mag had this posted just now.

Marauder now has different and incompatible threads for the psi gauge.

“ 

Basically, it’s a change of screw threads used on the pressure gauge. The new threads are not compatible with the old ones. This means that a “new” replacement gauge will also require a new Gauge Adapter to be fitted to an “old” gun.

Velocity Outdoor Senior Design Engineer John Solpietro explained to HAM that it was decided to change from tapered threads on the gauge to parallel (or straight) threads. The reason for this Benjamin Marauder pressure gauge change was to further reduce the potential for leakage of High Pressure Air from the gauge threads.

Velocity Outdoor tests every PCP airgun they make with a (minimum) 24-hour leak test. So the company was easily able to quantify the improvement produced by the new thread design and has made a “campaign change” of parts over all it’s US-manufactured PCP airguns”

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/benjamin-marauder-pressure-gauge-change-vital-information-for-owners/?utm_source=Hard+Air+Magazine+Subscription&utm_campaign=4daf932f93-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_31_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c48f609679-4daf932f93-360999889

I just read that also. There are probably a ton of aftermarket gauges still out there that have the tapered threads. Probably to the point this would have more of an impact on anyone who had a gauge failure on a Crosman PCP that was manufactured after Feb 2020! At least for the next couple of years anyway...
cool.gif

John had told me about the gauge change on the SAM. I agree that it would be less likely to leak and they re-seal easier. I did think to myself that having both around would be a bit of a nightmare.

I noticed they never mention the threads, too. Rather odd, that they didn't. The Mrod gauge blocks use 1/8" BSPP threads.

There is no need to go convert any "old style" guns. 1/8" NPT gauges will be around for a long time, but it sounds like none will be available from crosman.

1/8" BSPP gauges are a little harder to come by, but I have used them in Mrod pistol. Popularity will probably increase now, availability would follow.

On the other hand, I haven't had issue with leaking at NPT threads, just the gauges themselves.

Visually, it is hard to see the difference between 1/8 NPT and 1/8 BSPP. And then M10 gauges. Keep them segregated or check before each install.

I suspect crosman is converting over all current production to flush out all the 1/8 npt. It would be too easy to get them swapped up.

I wonder what they did on the Prod/1720T/1701 gauge block? To get a bottom seal would require a smaller ID hole in the gauge block.

I see the 1720T one has its own part number now, separate from challenger, Prod, and 1701. Wonder why? 

It is a good start getting the info out there on HAM. I think there will be allot of confusion and problems over the next year or so.

I have many gauges.

I have two from McMaster-Carr and several from Crosman.

2-3 from the local paintball shop.

Funny.

Now that I have replacements, I have never had to replace them.

Like the four valve stems I have...

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.....👍, I started out with Nothing........ And still have most of it Left...... 😁