Marauder accuracy problems

"Spash"Hi all,

i have recently received a marauder in synthetic stock .22
i have tried all pellets recomended for thus gun and still it is unable to keep groups within even an inch at 30 yards...
sometimes it gets a stroke of good accuracy butthen it just fades away again...
i have tried without the baffles and still does not help.

any suggestions please? :)

MOD EDIT: MOVED TO PCP SECTION

If you get a chance, I still would like to hear how your rifle shoots 3- shot groups with the H&N Baracuda 5.53 grain pellets ( with the shroud and baffles installed ).
Thx

I have a factory stock, un-tuned M-Rod in .22.
After a bunch of research I found most people were getting good results in a .22 M-Rod with pellets in the 5.52mm head size.
Mine does very well with the 5.52mm pellets, everything from JSB 13grn to JSB 18grn, and H&N 21grn. 
After reading this thread, I am going to go out on a limb and say I must have gotten one of those few good barreled M-Rods. 

"Spash"After sulking for a day I picked myself up and went back at it ;)
Took another good look down the bore and noticed at the end where the choke starts, there are some imperfections and scratches (manufacturing or previous owner who's to say?)

cleaned it up a bit and (for now) the initial results seem promising.
When I'm sure I'll post some pictures.

greets

. . . .

Don't give up just yet :)

"imperfections and scratches: :(

Also; check that the 2- screws that hold the barrel in place are secure ( see pic ), but be sure not to over tighten as this could dimple the barrel on the inside, which can also ruin accuracy. Check that all of the scope mount and ring screws are secure.

One step I do to all barrels that maybe of some help... regardless of brand new or used, I always thoroughly clean the barrel then give a good polishing with jb bore paste and kroil on a caliber specific cotton mop. I then polish the crown and leade as well as the barrel air port. Thoroughly clean again then test.

When I blueprint a marauder, the main goal is eliminating known or possible flaws/issues. These steps allow for much quicker diagnoses if an issue arises. All while keeping in mind that not all barrels are created equal. Some barrels, regardless of what is done or what pellet and tune are used, just don't shoot good.

I also have the Marauder synthetic in .22. I haven't shot many different types of pellets through it, because the Crosman Premier Domes 14.3 gr work well in mine (yours may be different). When I switched to hollow points and other pellets such as Beeman's, the groups really opened up.

I have cleaned the barrel, and that made a huge difference. Have you cleaned the barrel? Sometimes, they do leave some crud in there. Youtube has some good barrel cleaning ideas, so I'd start there. My personal favorite is to take a length of string trimmer line, fold it over, and slide it down the barrel without a patch. Once the line is visible at the breach, put in a patch with either light oil or cleaner, and pull it back through to the barrel. This way it won't impact the crown.

Good luck.

"wkoslo"Another issue I see come up is whether or not to let the barrel/shroud float or to use something like an o-ring to fix it to the barrel band. I've tried both and using an o-ring seems to improve accuracy. I will be ordering a new barrel soon myself, as all other attempts to improve my .22 marauder accuracy have failed.

Are you going to buy another Crosman barrel, or the MMHF barrel for the .22 Marauder? I had to buy the MMHF barrel to get the accuracy I wanted from my .22 Mrod. But with that mod, it is very accurate.....well beyond my abilities as a shooter. I have zero regrets with that purchase.

R

"EMrider"
"wkoslo"Another issue I see come up is whether or not to let the barrel/shroud float or to use something like an o-ring to fix it to the barrel band. I've tried both and using an o-ring seems to improve accuracy. I will be ordering a new barrel soon myself, as all other attempts to improve my .22 marauder accuracy have failed.

Are you going to buy another Crosman barrel, or the MMHF barrel for the .22 Marauder? I had to buy the MMHF barrel to get the accuracy I wanted from my .22 Mrod. But with that mod, it is very accurate.....well beyond my abilities as a shooter. I have zero regrets with that purchase.

R
Agreed highly recommend the MMHF barrel. I liked mine so much on my Mrod I ordered one for a Prod just cause I want the most out of it.

Yes I will be going with the MMHF barrel. I've tried many pellets and velocity combo's, have made sure the barrel was clean, all screws tight, and nothing has been better than about a 2" group at 35yrds (well below what I find acceptable). The barrel diameter seems to be way too big, I've tried pushing a pellet in from the breech and there are hardly any contact marks on it from the rifling.

I've used two o-rings around the barrel to fit it tightly into the barrel band and that seems to have helped a little.