• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Manual PCP filling

Computer,
Welcome, glad you've joined. The 5-gallon compressor likely has a top pressure rating < 200psi, PCP airguns use more like 4500psi. There are some "booster" pumps, which work with lower pressure compressors, but not too familiar with them. Chinese high-pressure air (HPA) handpumps can be found on eBay for less than $50, many begin there. WM

Reactions: beerthief
Yeah computer,
The 5 gallon compressor while being very handy, just won't cut it for a PCP, especially the BSA R10 which can be pumped up to 230 bar (3,335 PSI).

Also, my Benjamin hand pump was maxed out pumping up my BSA R10 which caused and undo amount of condensation to be passed on to my gun. The condensation eroded the brass bottle fitting causing the bottle to break off. I was trying to figure out why the gun was leaking air after about 4 years when the bottle simply broke off the gun upon attempting to remove it for inspection.

The water issue can damage the insides of the gun, including regulator and valve assemblies.

Long story short, I bought a $450 PCP compressor and have used it for 3 years on all my PCP's .... without issue.
My RAWs have not shown the tiniest bit of condensation - A necessity IMO !

I've hand pumped my pcps (both AA 510s) for years, but I used mine mainly for pests and occasional target practice. I use a Hill pump, but there are cheaper Chinese-made pumps for sale on the auction site. In any case, it's a good idea to have a hand pump as a back up, so you might start with that and see how it goes. Just a thought.

I've only ever owned springers before but now I'm looking to buy a BSA R10 SE in .177 cal
I do own a 5 gallon air compressor but don't know if this will suffice for the required PSI that is needed.
Any recommendations on a manual pump? or is this something that you just don't want to do?
The cheap Chinese Handpumps on the market are phenomenal

Don't let you be fooled by those that claim that they introduce moisture in your guns, compressors are far worse

I had this pump for 5 years still looks like new, only had to change 2 O-rings in that time and the other week I was filling guns to 5000 psi

Don't let you be fooled by those that claim that they introduce moisture in your guns, compressors are far worse

I had this pump for 5 years still looks like new, only had to change 2 O-rings in that time and the other week I was filling guns to 5000 psi

I have never used or handled a hand pump. Do they have moisture traps on them? Or do they not need one?
Just curious.

Reactions: markhooper

Hey Pirate,
You have been either very lucky or you're the Master of the hand pump .............. (y)

Here was my set-up which didn't do enough to remove the Seattle humidity from the compressed air :cautious:

Benjamin Hand Pump - Desiccant.jpg

I dunno, if you hand pump, it's not too bad, but it's work. Once you buy a compressor, you wonder how you ever did it with a hand pump. Now, the kicker is, you can buy a good GX CS2 compressor for not a lot more money than a Hill hand pump. Add a decent moisture filter and you're good to go. I would NEVER spend the money on a hand pump these days. Times have changed and compressors are available for less than $300.
A side benefit that I've just been playing with is Nitrogen fed to your compressor under low pressure. No moisture, no worries and it's as easy as a few fittings. I have an HVAC business so I had n2 on hand, but it's about $200 to get your first 40 ft3 bottle, and less than $20 a refill, so it's not bad. I shoot almost every day and I'm guessing a 40 ft3 bottle will last me quite a while. I've dedicated two to airgun service and rotate them, but one is enough.

Hey Pirate,
You have been either very lucky or you're the Master of the hand pump .............. (y)

Here was my set-up which didn't do enough to remove the Seattle humidity from the compressed air :cautious:

View attachment 408059
No luck here nor magic either :ROFLMAO:

been handpumping for almost 2 decades in humid Hawaii, had probably a dozen handpumps in that time and never had a gun with moisture damage.

Hey Pirate,

View attachment 408059
it's because you are in the Pacific Northwest.. I used to live in logsden Oregon and the humidity was so high we had to keep heat lamps over the saddle and if you left the window open at night in the bedroom the carpet was damp in the morning.. was really hard doing hay.. windrow almost dry and next morning damp on the bottom from ground moisture and damp on top from dew.. let the top dry and then turn over to dry the bottom before you could bale hay..120" of rain per year..
mark

Reactions: Raptor72
I dunno, if you hand pump, it's not too bad, but it's work. Once you buy a compressor, you wonder how you ever did it with a hand pump. Now, the kicker is, you can buy a good GX CS2 compressor for not a lot more money than a Hill hand pump. Add a decent moisture filter and you're good to go. I would NEVER spend the money on a hand pump these days. Times have changed and compressors are available for less than $300.
A side benefit that I've just been playing with is Nitrogen fed to your compressor under low pressure. No moisture, no worries and it's as easy as a few fittings. I have an HVAC business so I had n2 on hand, but it's about $200 to get your first 40 ft3 bottle, and less than $20 a refill, so it's not bad. I shoot almost every day and I'm guessing a 40 ft3 bottle will last me quite a while. I've dedicated two to airgun service and rotate them, but one is enough.
how many fills do you get per bottle? I have nitrogen as well.. so I assume that you regulate it down to what pressure? then compressor it? would be interesting to see pictures of your setup.. wondering if I can put a quick connect fitting on my Omega trail charger and then use either nitrogen or air if my bottle is empty.. I only have a 40 cuft..

been handpumping for almost 2 decades in humid Hawaii, had probably a dozen handpumps in that time and never had a gun with moisture damage.
I've not had a gun apart but I am going to soon, I have used a Omega trail charger for 8 years.. seems to take out the moisture in its trap and filter.. All built inside.. but my American tactical liberty nova 22 is leaking from 4300 to 2000 in two weeks and then it stays there.. I assume from the years of shooting it that is the regulator pressure setting.. anyone have a idea where the leak is? I just find it odd to leak slowly down to 2000 and then stop leaking.. I imagine that such a slow leak will be very hard to find.
mark

Reactions: allinssd

I've got a 2 week cruise to the Islands coming up, come to the port and hand me a PCP, I know I'll be going to shooting withdrawls! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
If you use a hand pump, you need to make sure you vent and bleed the line often, or you will start to have moisture problems. I hand pump exclusively and have also never had any evidence of condensation in my guns. But, I also bleed the line to vent moisture every 40-50 strokes and pause for a few minutes to let the pump cool down. My unregulated guns are set up to be filled in a single 50 stroke (or less) pumping session. My regulated gun, I usually do in two 40 stroke sessions.