• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Making the step to PCP.... and seeking knowledge

Spring is coming to MT, and that means taking some to off from the Knife shop, and thinning down the gophers! :) Just can't get powder ammo, so it will have to be "air guns" this year. I've been shooting "springers" for a couple of years now, and initially was very pleased with my SIG ASP20. That is after I found a scope that it didn't destroy, :) and learned enough to enjoy it. One nagging issue with that gun, that caused me to order my first PCPs a couple of day ago... is the fact that it can be "dead on" at the end of a shooting session, then the next time I shoot, it takes the gun 3-5 shots before it hits the Point of Aim. In other words it seems the gun needs to "warm up" each time, before it hits the POA. It's frustrated the daylights out of me, and I've not found any way around it, and simply can't have/use a gun that doesn't hit the POA the first shot.

All that being said, I just ordered a Benjamin Marauder Synrod .22 combo  https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Synrod_Combo/3540#6826 from Pyramid Air, and thought it worth it to also get their "20 for $20 deal. (for the $20 they inspect/test the gun to hold air, and whatever else.... and then mount/zero the scope, and shoot 20 rounds, and send the results with the order.)

I also ordered a Yong Heng compressor from Walmart. At first I was looking at the Benjamin Traveler, the Nomad II, and the new Umarex..... but kept reading about people having failures with all of them, and major hassles fixing, returning, and/or replacing...so for the simple fact of the return policy for the Yong Heng/Walmart, I chose that route. Prior to ordering, I scoured the forums, and the net, read/watched everything I could find on the gun and/or the compressor. I come today with the following newbie to PCPs requests.....

1. Would be happy to hear what anyone with Marauder experience can tell me. (I have ZERO experience with PCP guns)

2. Same for the compressor

3. The other thing that I'd like to acquire, is a portable air tank. My whole agenda for the PCP includes spring gopher and maybe some Prairie Dog hunting here in Montana, and I'd need a portable air source to do it with the Marauder. Are portable air tanks super popular right now? Or, are they just crazy expensive all the time??? I do know I'd want one of the 4,500 psi tanks..... but what about size? What would I NEED for a day's worth of shooting? (estimating 200-500 shots/rounds in a good day of gopher shooting) And, the big question..... where to look, and should it be new? Or, is it OK to buy used... and if so, any specifics I should be aware of?? 

Thanks in advance for advice/help!

Welcome

The Marauder is a solid choice in my opinion. Shoot it as it is for a while and if you're happy, keep right on! They can be set up for varying fill pressure, power and shot count. My .22 is the one I grab for pests, it'll do the job out to 65-75 yards if conditions are right. I've never warmed up to synthetic stocks myself. If you decide you want something different later, there are wood stocks available from Crosman as well as aftermarket stocks from Boyd's. I hope you bought yours direct from Crosman and used the AGNATION code-it's good for a 25% discount!

Get a selection of different pellets-JSB Domes, Crosman Premier domes, Air Arms and H&N are quality pellets. Most Marauders seem to like JSBs best (at least mine do)

Clean the bore with a pull-through and patches when you first get it, then only when accuracy falls off. Use a straw over the pull-through to get through the baffles in the shroud and clean with the gun stock up so any oils don't drain into the action.

I use a 4-16 power scope on mine (old eyes) zero at 30 yards and have a dope chart for different ranges. I like a reticle with multiple aim points as opposed to clicking turrets.

As to the portable air tank-Joe B at Airtanks for sale has them-he's not the cheapest, but his products are solid.

I just read all the way to the end of your post-(caffeine deprived) most .22 Marauders get around 30 shots from a fill in stock tune, so you might want a bigger carbon fiber tank if you do that much shooting in a day of hunting. Airguns of Arizona has a fill calculator on their website which you can use to figure out how many fills you'll get from a certain size tank.

Most unregulated guns will start at certain velocity, rise to a peak, then drop down again. If you have a chronograph, use it to find your rifle's sweet spot and how many shots within a velocity spread you get per fill. Most folks consider a 20-30fps spread good for ot to 60-70 yards. Fill to maximum pressure and shoot until the velocity drops way below your peak. If you don't have a chronograph, you can swag it by setting up a target at say 50 yards and observing the point of impact.

Also, most gauges on the gun are not completely accurate-go by gauge on your tank or pump when filling.

Almost forgot-Have fun! You'll love how quiet the Marauder is.

Spring is coming to MT, and that means taking some to off from the Knife shop, and thinning down the gophers! :) Just can't get powder ammo, so it will have to be "air guns" this year. I've been shooting "springers" for a couple of years now, and initially was very pleased with my SIG ASP20. That is after I found a scope that it didn't destroy, :) and learned enough to enjoy it. One nagging issue with that gun, that caused me to order my first PCPs a couple of day ago... is the fact that it can be "dead on" at the end of a shooting session, then the next time I shoot, it takes the gun 3-5 shots before it hits the Point of Aim. In other words it seems the gun needs to "warm up" each time, before it hits the POA. It's frustrated the daylights out of me, and I've not found any way around it, and simply can't have/use a gun that doesn't hit the POA the first shot.

All that being said, I just ordered a Benjamin Marauder Synrod .22 combo  https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Synrod_Combo/3540#6826 from Pyramid Air, and thought it worth it to also get their "20 for $20 deal. (for the $20 they inspect/test the gun to hold air, and whatever else.... and then mount/zero the scope, and shoot 20 rounds, and send the results with the order.)

I also ordered a Yong Heng compressor from Walmart. At first I was looking at the Benjamin Traveler, the Nomad II, and the new Umarex..... but kept reading about people having failures with all of them, and major hassles fixing, returning, and/or replacing...so for the simple fact of the return policy for the Yong Heng/Walmart, I chose that route. Prior to ordering, I scoured the forums, and the net, read/watched everything I could find on the gun and/or the compressor. I come today with the following newbie to PCPs requests.....

1. Would be happy to hear what anyone with Marauder experience can tell me. (I have ZERO experience with PCP guns)

Was my first pcp, have 2 now a 25 & 22. Both rifles have served me well without any problems or defects.

My advise to you,, don't try to make anything more out of your Mrod then it already i$. Don't wa$te your money trying to make it better, its plenty good enough just how it comes out of the box. Your money will be better spent on a new rifle that does what you want in$tead of trying to make a Corvette out of a Impala. Don't jump in the mRod money pit many have.

Good choice on cheapy compressor, I've got 1 also. Just follow all start/stop procedures, use the correct lubricant. Use no restrictor/slow fill fittings/hose in the comp discharge line. Filling a mRod will be very quick and probably wont give the YH time to generate lots of heat/water vapor which is good.

3. The other thing that I'd like to acquire, is a portable air tank. My whole agenda for the PCP includes spring gopher and maybe some Prairie Dog hunting here in Montana, and I'd need a portable air source to do it with the Marauder. Are portable air tanks super popular right now? Or, are they just crazy expensive all the time??? I do know I'd want one of the 4,500 psi tanks..... but what about size? What would I NEED for a day's worth of shooting? (estimating 200-500 shots/rounds in a good day of gopher shooting) And, the big question..... where to look, and should it be new? Or, is it OK to buy used... and if so, any specifics I should be aware of?? 

Ya, scba tanks are expensive and going higher, they only have a max 15 year life span, careful getting an old used scba tank. I've got scuba tanks 30years old that hydo exceptional well still.

Some of us that fill our own tanks from compressor opt for cheaper China cert, no DOT certification, or even an expired hydro. Use like that at your own risk and be advised without a DOT cert no dive shop or hydro shop or good paint ball shop will fill your tank. Not sure if you're looking for a small back pack type tank or one you leave in your car.

30-60 shots per fill is the norm for a 22 mRod. So going back to your trunk to fill might be an option using a much cheaper used scuba tank for under $100 for the whole fill station tank set up. Contrary to popular advise here, a good scuba tank filled to 3300psi will fill your mRod at least a dozen times, double that if you don't mind 2700psi fills. Don't get me wrong, a $700 large scba tank is the best for pcp, but it cost and has a finite life span.

Curious why you didn't buy direct from Crosman with the 25% discount code for a $400 MROD. Then get the same scope from Walmart/Amazon and sling for under $100, thus saving yourself $100 to buy many tins of pellets..?

Crosman’s website has been out of stock on most things for some time now including the Marauders. Crosman is filling orders to retail vendors like Pryamyd Air first. i suspect it’s going to be awhile before anyone is going to be getting a Marauder direct from Crosman. The Akela, Cayden and Kratos have been in stock regularly but those are being produced b Kral. 

Was my first pcp, have 2 now a 25 & 22. Both rifles have served me well without any problems or defects.

My advise to you,, don't try to make anything more out of your Mrod then it already i$. Don't wa$te your money trying to make it better, its plenty good enough just how it comes out of the box. Your money will be better spent on a new rifle that does what you want in$tead of trying to make a Corvette out of a Impala. Don't jump in the mRod money pit many have.

Good choice on cheapy compressor, I've got 1 also. Just follow all start/stop procedures, use the correct lubricant. Use no restrictor/slow fill fittings/hose in the comp discharge line. Filling a mRod will be very quick and probably wont give the YH time to generate lots of heat/water vapor which is good.

Ya, scba tanks are expensive and going higher, they only have a max 15 year life span, careful getting an old used scba tank. I've got scuba tanks 30years old that hydo exceptional well still.

Some of us that fill our own tanks from compressor opt for cheaper China cert, no DOT certification, or even an expired hydro. Use like that at your own risk and be advised without a DOT cert no dive shop or hydro shop or good paint ball shop will fill your tank. Not sure if you're looking for a small back pack type tank or one you leave in your car.

30-60 shots per fill is the norm for a 22 mRod. So going back to your trunk to fill might be an option using a much cheaper used scuba tank for under $100 for the whole fill station tank set up. Contrary to popular advise here, a good scuba tank filled to 3300psi will fill your mRod at least a dozen times, double that if you don't mind 2700psi fills. Don't get me wrong, a $700 large scba tank is the best for pcp, but it cost and has a finite life span.

Curious why you didn't buy direct from Crosman with the 25% discount code for a $400 MROD. Then get the same scope from Walmart/Amazon and sling for under $100, thus saving yourself $100 to buy many tins of pellets..?

Likely because Crosman has not had them in stock on their website.

I'd specifically buy the Field and Target version with Lothar Walther barrel option period.

If best possible accuracy is MOST important to you.

Too late to change your order-?

You won't even need to pay the $10 for $10 because the Field and Target versions with Lothar Walther Barrel option absolutely perfect straight out of the box.

Any issues Crosman sends you a free return label so does Pyramid Air.

Crosman’s website has been out of stock on most things for some time now including the Marauders. Crosman is filling orders to retail vendors like Pryamyd Air first. i suspect it’s going to be awhile before anyone is going to be getting a Marauder direct from Crosman. The Akela, Cayden and Kratos have been in stock regularly but those are being produced b Kral.

Likely because Crosman has not had them in stock on their website.

Well, guess thats a good reason... didn't realize that as a friend just got a semi auto mRod for $550 last Friday on the Crosman site...

Awesome info folks! Thank you! Unfortunately I couldn't use the coupon code/order from Crossman.... they have been out of stock for a long time. I did however, find a coupon code for Pyramid Air, that got me a $87.64 discount on my entire order. I ordered the Synrod combo, extra mags, and the 20 for 20, which forces you to pay an additional $41 for a hard case to to ship/deliver the gun.

I have a ton of scopes, ranging from cheapo ones, all the way through a couple of Swarovski scopes that are currently mounted on my favorite centerfire guns.... so I suspect I'll test out the scope it comes with, and likely change around until I find one I like with the gun. Am I correct in assuming that PCPs do not have any "whiplash" that will wreck scopes? The SIG hard broke 4 scopes before I found one that could survive the gun.

And especially thanks for the input on air tanks. To further that portion of the conversation..... I'd want one that I could carry with me, maybe in a "backpack" configuration, or at least onboard my ATV/4-Wheeler... With that in mind, what size should I zero in on? Or, what are the standard sizes? Am I OK just buying one off Amazon? I'm not too concerned with the DOT cert.... we don't have dive shops anywhere near me, the fire stations are too tightly wrapped to even consider filling a tank for those of us who pay taxes/their wages, and that would leave the only possible places being a couple of welding/cylinder outfits. As long as the little compressor holds up, I'd be filling it at home. OH! Speaking of that.... can I assume that filling a larger tank, with one of the Yong Heng compressor should be done is "stages".... as in fill the tank some, then let the compressor rest/cool down, and repeat until the tank is full?

And I just though up another question!! :) Air fittings for tanks/guns..... are the fittings "standard" between guns, hoses, tanks. etc.??? Or are they differences that I should know/be aware of??

Too late to change the order...... already tried. My bad/lesson learned. I thought I'd covered all my bases when ordering....but still learning. Guess I'll see how the Crossman barrel does for accuracy. Yes, the DEPENDABLE accuracy is what drove to the PCP rabbit hole in the first place. :)

After reading all the previous input, I decided to take a look as Amazon Warehouse for tanks..... the offer a 30 Cu Ft tank with hose (not DOT approve) for $270 (same new ones are $299) I know it's a risk buying from Amazon Warehouse....but I've often received brand new items versus used ones when going that route...... and on those that were a bit too ratty, the return policy is very liberal.

Also browsed around Ebay.... but never found anything to match the above deal. Happy to hear what you folks have to say about either.

Thanks again!!

Don't over look SCBAs they are designed for use in harsh environments by professionals. I have two, one is still current, the other is expired. I still fill the expired SCBA to 4200 psi. No way my home compressor is going to catastrophically blow it up. The compressor or something else in the loop would fail first. I don't believe you can purchase a HPA compressor to use at home capable of "blowing up" an SCBA. I contemplated the Great White, the Guppy. But couldn't stomach the price. Both my SCBAs set me back $200 total.

Isn’t anyone going to warn Ed about taking the plunge to the dark side, ha ha! You might as well sell your springers, Ed, as those will collect dust. 

Take this as humored advice, ok, but I’m sure most will agree with my prediction

1. Within a year of owning a Marauder, you’ll be yearning for another platform. I predict in at least 25 cal, and once you use a side lever, you’ll never order a bolt cock pcp gun again

2. Start learning about all the pcp type fittings- NPT, BSP, M10 threads that are all so different if you don’t pay attention. You cannot mix and match pcp fittings even if they seem to work. Learn about all the different quick disconnects, dowty washer seals, and micro bore hoses. Even though fittings are of stainless steel in build, buy only from a quality source and not the eBay overseas ones unless it’s from BEST fittings in the U.K. 

Make this a rule- starting with this Marauder and any PCP here on out, gather up the O-rings needed and put together a kit for each and every pcp you own. You’ll need them for sure, and invest in silicone oil and silicone grease for lubing anything in a pcp that is within the high pressure air parts of the gun. 

3. If you like to target shoot for hours on end on a bench, make the REGMAN TETHERING REGULATOR one to be on the top of your must have list. Check them out on airtanksplus.com. 

4. If you’re going to be hauling a tank in a quad or side by side out to the woods, I’d at least have a minimum size of 74 cu ft, or the 45 minute SCBA Tanks. You can rig it onto your ride very easily. Don’t waste $$ on a pony tank that you will think is perfect at the moment then later realize it hardly gets used as your pcp will more than likely give you enough shots for a morning hunt in the initial fill. Notice pony tanks get sold more in the classifieds than the other size tanks?

5. Start saving for a compressor in the league of the Alkin W31’s NOW. This truly is an addicting hobby and if you want care free air supply, the best of the best, then take my advice here for sure. There’s nothing wrong with your initial investment in the Yong Heng, cause, hey, your dipping your toes into this move to pcp’s, right? I’m speaking from pure experience, and I can bet most on this forum have followed my path. The saying mentioned earlier, “buy once, cry once” for sure applies in this hobby, but in return this hobby will hurt your face with all the grins you’ll get with every shot, every tank fill, and every tweak you do to your pcp’s.

6. I’ll stop at number 6- Heed the advice given by AIMRIGHT in regards to dumping $$ into a pcp platform to make it so it shoots like the top tier guns. When I was in your current shoes back in November of 2017 and got my Marauder as my first pcp, I dumped a lot of coin into it to try and make it what it’ll never be. Would I do it again? You’re going to laugh when I say yes, only because adding all the mods taught me the mechanics and workings of a PCP. I invested in a Hill Airgun.com supreme kit, and boy oh boy did it change the performance of the gun like awesomely. But, instead of heeding Hill’s advice to “set it and forget it” I kept messing with the tunes thinking I’m gonna make it perform like a $2K gun, in which it will not. Still have the gun, in 25 cal, and will never sell it as it was my first.

If you so choose to add performance parts just because you want to experiment and learn as I did, check out hillairguns.com. Candy store for Marauder performance parts. There are other Marauder parts makers, but it’s been awhile since I’ve checked in with them.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have further questions, and Welcome to the DARK SIDE!

i think the 30 tank will be fine for an atv secured well, wouldnt want larger than that .. and the hunting will have to be dang good if you shoot that much dry lol .. it wont be like a springer where most shots are wasted, i'd say once you got it dialed about 99% of shots are kill shots .. anyway yeah i have the 'iorman' 30 tank and love it although its not certified to be filled by a shop so realize that factor, its a good size to be portable, not too big or too small but personally i'd like a smaller tank for an actual backpack like a 90ci .... the marauder is good though youll like it .. sight it in around 20yards with a standard 14.3g for a maximum stretch of like 15-50 .. use some ballistic software to tune the exact spot for maximum effectiveness on them gophers .. none will survive in that range lol ..

You’ll love poping ground squirrels with the air rifle! I used to use my hmr 17 but the air rifle is so much “funner”. I use a 60 minute SCBA tank. The squirrels are plentiful enough that I’m pretty stationary, either out of the back of my truck or close to it on a shooting chair. Shoot around 300 shots a day. Plenty of air in a 60 minute tank for at least 4 days if I camp. 

Isn’t anyone going to warn Ed about taking the plunge to the dark side, ha ha! You might as well sell your springers, Ed, as those will collect dust. 

Take this as humored advice, ok, but I’m sure most will agree with my prediction

1. Within a year of owning a Marauder, you’ll be yearning for another platform. I predict in at least 25 cal, and once you use a side lever, you’ll never order a bolt cock pcp gun again

2. Start learning about all the pcp type fittings- NPT, BSP, M10 threads that are all so different if you don’t pay attention. You cannot mix and match pcp fittings even if they seem to work. Learn about all the different quick disconnects, dowty washer seals, and micro bore hoses. Even though fittings are of stainless steel in build, buy only from a quality source and not the eBay overseas ones unless it’s from BEST fittings in the U.K. 

Make this a rule- starting with this Marauder and any PCP here on out, gather up the O-rings needed and put together a kit for each and every pcp you own. You’ll need them for sure, and invest in silicone oil and silicone grease for lubing anything in a pcp that is within the high pressure air parts of the gun. 

3. If you like to target shoot for hours on end on a bench, make the REGMAN TETHERING REGULATOR one to be on the top of your must have list. Check them out on airtanksplus.com. 

4. If you’re going to be hauling a tank in a quad or side by side out to the woods, I’d at least have a minimum size of 74 cu ft, or the 45 minute SCBA Tanks. You can rig it onto your ride very easily. Don’t waste $$ on a pony tank that you will think is perfect at the moment then later realize it hardly gets used as your pcp will more than likely give you enough shots for a morning hunt in the initial fill. Notice pony tanks get sold more in the classifieds than the other size tanks?

5. Start saving for a compressor in the league of the Alkin W31’s NOW. This truly is an addicting hobby and if you want care free air supply, the best of the best, then take my advice here for sure. There’s nothing wrong with your initial investment in the Yong Heng, cause, hey, your dipping your toes into this move to pcp’s, right? I’m speaking from pure experience, and I can bet most on this forum have followed my path. The saying mentioned earlier, “buy once, cry once” for sure applies in this hobby, but in return this hobby will hurt your face with all the grins you’ll get with every shot, every tank fill, and every tweak you do to your pcp’s.

6. I’ll stop at number 6- Heed the advice given by AIMRIGHT in regards to dumping $$ into a pcp platform to make it so it shoots like the top tier guns. When I was in your current shoes back in November of 2017 and got my Marauder as my first pcp, I dumped a lot of coin into it to try and make it what it’ll never be. Would I do it again? You’re going to laugh when I say yes, only because adding all the mods taught me the mechanics and workings of a PCP. I invested in a Hill Airgun.com supreme kit, and boy oh boy did it change the performance of the gun like awesomely. But, instead of heeding Hill’s advice to “set it and forget it” I kept messing with the tunes thinking I’m gonna make it perform like a $2K gun, in which it will not. Still have the gun, in 25 cal, and will never sell it as it was my first.

If you so choose to add performance parts just because you want to experiment and learn as I did, check out hillairguns.com. Candy store for Marauder performance parts. There are other Marauder parts makers, but it’s been awhile since I’ve checked in with them.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have further questions, and Welcome to the DARK SIDE!

Ed, you will not regret this advice, or most any of the others...Except

Odoyles comment on the optional Lothar Walthar barrel. I have owned both of the barrel options from the point of Crossman's new in house manufacturing with their new barrel machining technique and the LW option in my "Marauder F/T". Each of my Marauders were equally accurate in most respects out to 100yds with maybe a slight edge to the Crosman barrel. Just my opinion on my two Marauders that were manufactured 1 year apart (2018,2019)

Adding to this, my Benjamin Traveler compressor has been working flawlessly on a weekly basis for the past 2.5 years.

Have fun,

Patrick

That's good to hear (about the barrels). When I initially place my order with Pyramid, I THOUGHT I had ordered the LW barrel..... but the next day I was looking over the order, and realized I didn't.... so I called them and tried to change.... but they had already pulled the gun for my order and fired it.... so that would have caused a 20% restock fee to change the order..... so I let it go. Between that, and the reassuring info you gave above, must have been a God thing. (meant to be) :)

Now I'm trying to learn more about the air tanks..... From the info you fine folks have offered, a 30 cu ft would work for a day of gopher shooting??? I did post an ISO in the classified forum, and received an offer to trade a tank for one of my EBK Max knives..... which I might just do once I find out some more info about the tank.

If everything works as is should, the Yong Heng compressor should be here by the end of this week, with the gun scheduled to show up next Monday. That'll give me some time to setup the compressor, test it, and make sure I have what I need.

Can I assume that the DOT cert and air tanks are like any other type of tanks (02, Acetylene, etc...... ) only needed if filled in a retail setting?? I did some more checking over the weekend.... the ONLY option I could possibly have, is a single welding outfit, where they fill tanks. It's also where I acquire my Liquid Nitrogen for cryo treating knife blades. We do have one airsoft outfit in town, but I learned that they don't offer tank filling for the public. I'm gona head over to the calculator and figure thing out on the air tanks. 

Again.... You folks are awesome with all your help and advice!! I very much appreciate it!! I just finished up checking out the fill calculator at Airguns of AZ..... handy! It tells me that the Marauder will get 19 fills on a 30 cu ft tank (filling from 2000 to 3000 psi IF the tank is maxed out to 4500psi), and 14 fills if the tank psi is 4000. IF the Marauder does get the 30 shots (description states 32 shots per fill), that means I'd be capable of 570 shots on a full 30 cu ft tank..... That would be a decent day of dusting gophers! :)