• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Making the move from .25 to .30... worth it?

@steve-kville
The words "Thank You" will get you better results, guaranteed.

I've taken numerous g-hogs with a .177 Air Arms but I also know there's huge difference in destructive power between .22 poly mags and .25 poly mags shot at the SAME fps.

Buy something and tell us.

Sorry... was trying to inject some of my twisted humor.

"Worth" is in the eye of the beholder. I have a FX Royale 500 (.25) & FX Boss (.30). BOTH guns are extremely accurate but the Boss is my go-to. Aside from sighting in, I don't shoot paper or just plink much. I do a lot of pesting on ground squirrels & rabbits & most shots are 75+ yards. For me the 30 bucks the wind, underbrush & distance better of the two with plenty of terminal power hitting its target. The .25 will get the job done too but the .30 is devastating & imho more humane on the really long distance shots. Yeah, ammo IS more expensive & harder to acquire but one tin of pellets gets me through quite a number of excursions. Were I more of a paper shooter I'd be using the .25 or a .22. "Worth" is relative to one's use & needs.

Reactions: JimNM
The 25 will do very well. I whacked a 20 pound armadillo at 50 yards with mine. There are several Youtube videos of folks shooting hogs with a 25 very effectively. I have both. I don't hunt so my 30 only gets used for 100 yd BR matches which isn't very often. I don't use it much for target work otherwise. For recreational shooting, the smaller calibers are better IMO because the lower ammo costs.

I've been a .25 cal fan for 8 years. After I saw how many shooters were using the .30 cal the past two RMAC's, I finally decided to try a .30 cal. After EBR, I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter which caliber you use. Both .22 and .25 were just as accurate as a .30 if you did your part. What I took from it was how good you know your pcp, how good you can read the wind, and luck.

A lot of it depends at what range you hunt them at. I have used both .25 and 30 cal. Impacts with approx the same FPS. For prairie dogs out at longer distances, say 125-225 yds, my 30 Cal out performs the 25 because of the retained energy at longer distances and less wind drift. Also I have noticeably less inured dogs crawling off. Having said that, At closer distances either cal will work equally as well as the other. That has been my experience using both calibers with slugs.

I've been a .25 cal fan for 8 years. After I saw how many shooters were using the .30 cal the past two RMAC's, I finally decided to try a .30 cal. After EBR, I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter which caliber you use. Both .22 and .25 were just as accurate as a .30 if you did your part. What I took from it was how good you know your pcp, how good you can read the wind, and luck.

Thanks. I don’t want to hijack this thread but have been mulling over a similar mental debate. My situation was jumping from 22 to 25 or 30. Your comment made a light go off in my head and I really appreciate it.