• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Making the move from .25 to .30... worth it?

Accuracy Trumps Whompum !!!

I own ALL the caliber up to .30 in Magnum PCP platforms. 35 fpe .177 40 fpe .20 50 fpe .22 65fpe .25 85 fpe .30

OF THEM ALL ... the .30 is the least long range capable being its frontal area really slows it down fast relative to the lessor calibers. it hits HARD !!! if you can hit where aiming. If not it is a big caliber maiming tool ... not good.

The most flexible and accurate hands down is the .22 cal and with its accuracy getting shots to land where wanted I've found to be the ideal caliber for AIR GUN realistic pesting here on the west coast.

Just some thoughts on this. If your particular gun will shoot slugs accurately, and tuned for power and not shot count when hunting, you can extend your range and ft lbs of energy on target. I have some strong .22’s and .25’s.. (75 and 100 ft lbs respectively) so the range is extended with slugs for hunting. But I still own a .30 that can shoot higher bc and heavier slugs (55-66 grain) for that extra insurance on target. Shooting pellets as Scott said, the frontal area will slow pellets down faster, which if in a rural area will work in your favor. Yes, .30 is a bit more expensive to shoot, but for larger varmints and predators, it’s added insurance. Whatever you choose, just make sure it’s accurate at the ranges your shooting and enjoy.

I would upgrade to a .30 only if the .25 isn't doing the job or you're after the red mist factor. 

Fired side by side in the same rifle configuration: both penetrate two milk jugs of water and stop in the third at 25 meters. The .30 will split the first jug due to double the fpe. 

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Baker's test because he used a heavy. 25 pellet in a magnum rifle (70 fpe) vs. a .30 target rifle (70 fpe). Daystate marketed the first .30 at 100 fpe for a reason.

The .25 has a more extensive selection of pellets and slugs to choose from and will do the job for less air unless you crank up the power and limit your choices. 

A few years ago when .25 started to get popular the same question was between .22 and .25.......and much of the answers where on the same line as those between .25 and .30 now.

but look at where we are now, the .25 is hugely popular with a ton of shooters seeking .25 cal guns

the .30 is a wonderful caliber, my favorite by far.

Baker Airguns did a YouTube video a couple weeks ago called “what’s deadlier, a .25 or .30 Airgun?” He does a few tests and comes to the conclusion that .25 wins. You should watch the video and judge for yourself. I think either caliber (even .22) will get the job done.

That test was inconclusive at best and set in parameters that do not reflect what most people would be shooting if they had those 2 caliber,......I found that to be a huge flaw on that test.

They're just so many factors to consider from a ballistics perspective. For example, if I am shooting a 25 caliber pellet and a 30 caliber pellet at different speeds but so that they both have the same FPE I can expect different terminal performance. For example a faster and lighter pellet, like a 25 caliber versus a slower heavier pellet like a 30 caliber. Let's say they both have 70 fpe. The 25 caliber is likely to pass through the object doing less damage because much of the energy will be transferred to forward motion. The 30 caliber, because it's a slower velocity, will likely remain within the object with most of the energy then transferred to a wound cavity. We see the same thing with firearms. I can have a 45 caliber traveling at slow speed and 5.56 and high speed both with the same FPE but the 5.56 will do less damage because the energy is transferred in a forward motion as it passes through the object while the 45 caliber energy is transferred into the object because it doesn't pass through so the terminal effects are significantly different. I hope that makes sense. 

I would like to have seen the same test done but with the common diabolo pellet at the same speeds. .25 JSB King 25.39gr at 880 fps compared to the .30 JSB 44.75gr at 880 fps.

Exactly my man, use the guns as you buy them for the intended work.

I was suggesting 34gr JSB .25 at 900 fps

and 51gr JSB .30 at 900 fps

That would be a test more indicative to how those calibers would be used and therefore much more useful as an overall comparison, not a super souped up .25 that very few used it like and a super anemic .30 that I don't see anybody buying a .30 for hunting would use at that power level

I would like to have seen the same test done but with the common diabolo pellet at the same speeds. .25 JSB King 25.39gr at 880 fps compared to the .30 JSB 44.75gr at 880 fps.

Exactly my man, use the guns as you buy them for the intended work.

I was suggesting 34gr JSB .25 at 900 fps

and 51gr JSB .30 at 900 fps

That would be a test more indicative to how those calibers would be used and therefore much more useful as an overall comparison, not a super souped up .25 that very few used it like and a super anemic .30 that I don't see anybody buying a .30 for hunting would use at that power level

That would work as well.

Accuracy Trumps Whompum !!!

I own ALL the caliber up to .30 in Magnum PCP platforms. 35 fpe .177 40 fpe .20 50 fpe .22 65fpe .25 85 fpe .30

OF THEM ALL ... the .30 is the least long range capable being its frontal area really slows it down fast relative to the lessor calibers. it hits HARD !!! if you can hit where aiming. If not it is a big caliber maiming tool ... not good.

The most flexible and accurate hands down is the .22 cal and with its accuracy getting shots to land where wanted I've found to be the ideal caliber for AIR GUN realistic pesting here on the west coast.

Well said and a hearty +1