MAKING TARGETS

Using recycled material. I am making targets using silver tin 2 1/2 inch circles . My question is should I paint them black ? If so, gloss or flat ? I plan to center a 1/4 inch round yellow fluorescent dot on each circle. I think it would be fun to shoot five shot groups at 25 or 30 yards after dark when it warms up. I KNOW I HAVE WAY TO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS BUT IT SURE BEATS THE HELL OUT HONEY DO'S. REGRESSING, DO YOU THINK. I AM ONLY 74. PLUS MY SON,HIS WIFE AND MY TWO YOUNG GRANDSONS ARE COMMING HOME AFTER SPENDING THE LAST TEN YEARS IN THE COUNTRY OF GEORGIA. YAHOO !

depending on the background of where you are going to be placing the targets, Black is usually difficult to see hits.
I would recommend a white or bright colored surface with a red/black target dot.
if you are placing then in a snowy background..than black makes sense
Thank you. I am new to this and need all the help I can get. Thanks again. Bill

• Love
Reactions: manabeknives
Using recycled material. I am making targets using silver tin 2 1/2 inch circles . My question is should I paint them black ? If so, gloss or flat ? I plan to center a 1/4 inch round yellow fluorescent dot on each circle. I think it would be fun to shoot five shot groups at 25 or 30 yards after dark when it warms up. I KNOW I HAVE WAY TO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS BUT IT SURE BEATS THE HELL OUT HONEY DO'S. REGRESSING, DO YOU THINK. I AM ONLY 74. PLUS MY SON,HIS WIFE AND MY TWO YOUNG GRANDSONS ARE COMMING HOME AFTER SPENDING THE LAST TEN YEARS IN THE COUNTRY OF GEORGIA. YAHOO !
Congrats on having your son and his family around.

Reactions: Nattboy
The best way to paint targets is flat white base, let dry. Florescent orange next, let dry.

Here is my range after a fresh paint job and new cans hung on para cord.

Bake a cake, it sounds like a homecoming! Congratulations!

IMG_1905.jpeg

This is what I use @ 50 yards. With scope @ 24 power hits easily seen. Holes paper-punched in cardboard corners fit snugly over two long screws in backboard. Entire operation sits in front of woodpile. Figure any PCP that groups in circle is ready for action. WMView attachment 430961
This is so straightforward. Great option, thank you.

Reactions: WorriedMan
lol, i paint my gongs (saw blades) neon blue on the front and flat black on the back .. i's can see's um real good .. nobody else can .. more than one totally nuisance 'pest' has got the bell rung on them and wet themselves with no idea what the hell is going on lol .. it really sets off the neon if you zap it with some ole cheap white as a first coat ..

Reactions: Nattboy
This is what I use @ 50 yards. With scope @ 24 power hits easily seen. Holes paper-punched in cardboard corners fit snugly over two long screws in backboard. Entire operation sits in front of woodpile. Figure any PCP that groups in circle is ready for action. WMView attachment 430961
I like that.

lol, i paint my gongs (saw blades) neon blue on the front and flat black on the back .. i's can see's um real good .. nobody else can .. more than one totally nuisance 'pest' has got the bell rung on them and wet themselves with no idea what the hell is going on lol .. it really sets off the neon if you zap it with some ole cheap white as a first coat ..
Thanks, hadn't thought of neon blue.