• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Making Ranger into barn gun - Bugbuster?

My Taipan Short .25 has become my go to gun for barnyard pest control. The Brocock Ranger .22 has sat in the cabinet for over a month collecting dust. The Taipan is to powerful for inside the barn and shed however, and there are lots of chances to shoot spatzes in the buildings. So I think the Ranger should be set up specifically as a barn gun. Turn the power down, find a good tune for lead free pellets, put green flashlight on it and... ...what optic? I have a Westhunter 3-12x44 and I like it just fine, but at the short ranges I will encounter inside a building, I wonder if I want to consider a UTG Bugbuster since it focuses down so much closer.

Is the Bugbuster 3 yard focus a gimmick, or is it legitimately useful?

Is the 10 yard focus on something like a Westhunter close enough for targets 3-5 yards away?

Are there other scopes out there I should consider with extremely close focus?

Another option might be a simple red dot, but a little magnification might help with IDing birds in low light.

Appreciate any thoughts y'all might have.

Thanks,
-pg

Since I literally have nothing better to do but heal today, I waddled down to the shop and ran out 30 feet of tape, turned the Bug Buster (3X12) down to X4 and crept up on a milk jug momma has sitting on her bench and got to 6-1/2 feet before it got fuzzy so yes, 7 feet and still clear as day!

2.33 yards...

I humbly submit.
I have used for years a non-illuminated 3-12x32 SF Bug Buster on a Prod which works great, but requires lighting for night work. It's limiting or required eye box is something you learn to work around or live with in time.
A new BRK Atomic I've settled on a amazing West Hunter WHT 3-12x44 SFIR SFP compact focusing down to 10 yards with 3-4" eye box, about 18 ounces and a space saving 10 inches. For the 200 frog skins it's a good bang for the bucks deal. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
@puddleglum, why not simply give the West Hunter a go? Don’t believe too many pests, particularly rats and sparrows are going to allow you 3 yard shots. Maybe a laser for your anticipated 2-3 yard shots?
I have stood feet away from a female spatze numerous times in the barn. They get freaked out, bang into the windows a few times, and land on the stanchions staring at me, The other day, in the equipment shed, there was one I almost got by hand at one of the windows.

I probably will give the Weshunter a go, but wanted to see what thoughts are on the Bugbuster.

Reactions: L.Leon
I humbly submit.
I have used for years a non-illuminated 3-12x32 SF Bug Buster on a Prod which works great, but requires lighting for night work. It's limiting or required eye box is something you learn to work around or live with in time.
A new BRK Atomic I've settled on a amazing West Hunter WHT 3-12x44 SFIR SFP compact focusing down to 10 yards with 3-4" eye box, about 18 ounces and a space saving 10 inches. For the 200 frog skins it's a good bang for the bucks deal. :cool:
That is the scope I bought for the Ranger, but I stole it from the Ranger when I got my Taipan. I got a Hawke for the Taipan, but now am working on getting a used .30 Evanix Rainstorm, tuned by the late Will Piatt, and I probably will use the Westhunter to test it out. That Westhunter is going to get a chance to collaborate with many fine airguns.

Reactions: SHOMER
I have a barn gun and I use a red dot on it. My Notos I tuned to a nice 700fps with CPHPs. I use the red dot to 35-40yds no problem and as close as you have mentioned.
I could go mall-ninja-tacticool and mount a red dot on top of the scope or on a 45 degree mount for the close shots.

I have a fixed 6x bugbuster with illuminated reticle on my Prod. I keep it zeroed at 15 yards and my holdovers are real simple and always dependable with the fixed power. The 3 yard focus is awesome, I use it quite a lot. If I’m shooting further than 20 yards I use a different gun.
If you have grasshoppers where you live, the bugbuster is a very solid choice. 6x makes them full field of view at 3 yards. Good times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firewalker