Making a Guantlet worthwhile

Never really liked the Guantlet myself but I know there are lots of people who are happy with their Guantlets out of the box. I never bought one but I handled and shot three different ones that my friends bought and was totally underwhelmed. On one it had a wandering poi and I found the barrel was loose in the breech. They were loud. The triggers sucked on all three and they were all hard to cock. My buddy brought one to me last week and asked if I would install a JSAR kit in it for him. Very easy to do and totally changed the rifle into something useful. The gun nows cocks easy, its quieter and more powerful, trigger is ten times better , power is adjustable now, and it should get more shots as it doesn't seem to be burping as much anymore. Overall it made it into a very nice rifle, even if it is still big. One thing it always had going for it is that it got lots of shots and it was accurate out of the box. Now its just better all around.

Kinda changed my mind about it now. Who knows, some day I might own one!

Reactions: FukoChan
I really like it. I sent mines to Hajimoto for his tune and I added a larger bottle. I use mine like I used to use my springers. I fill it, go out in the backyard and get plenty of trigger time. I get well over 150 shots with mine and it looks the metal tin crosman pellets, both the HP from Wally World and the Domes I order online, as well as any pellet. I have 35 yards in my backyard and I can hit a fly at that distance (no exaggeration).

So you never owned one but don't like it.

Sounds like a poor attempt to rekindle the Ted thread.

Now after all this work it is ok.

Yeah right.

And every post after is one that likes the gun. I like mine and even remove it from the safe by the barrel...no change where it hits.

Those gauntlet haters need to try harder...it will be interesting to see how they react to the 25 when it comes

Hey Cherokee

never watched the Ted thread so that isn't my point. Yes I never owned one but have shot a few and worked on them for friends.

I was conveying what I thought about the Guantlet. Never said I hated it, just that I didn't care for it. I'm entitled to have my opinion as you have yours..

Its big and bulky and doesn't fit my style. After working on it to get some bugs out, which btw the mfg could have done, it is a better gun and more user friendly such as being easier to cock, etc.

You can believe what you want.

The thing is less than 300 bucks and it is regulated. It brought me into the dark side and with some ingenuity of my own and some from others, I was able to make it a good shooting gun. It is crude, true, but it makes one hole at 40 yards if I do my part.

It is a great starter gun and one you can tinker with to learn the ins and outs of PCP guns. Making a smooth crisp trigger is easy and stopping POI changes by some creative mechanics can be done also.

JB Bore Compound run through the barrel on a swab clears up any rough spots and makes it even a better shooting gun.

Strategically placed wet and dry sandpaper can and does smooth the cocking lever as well as a JSAR kit.

When buying one of these uglies, you have to go in knowing it is a cheap gun that is going to need some help.

I bought my gauntlet knowing I was going to work on it (just like all the others). 230 bucks......

As is, Yes it is stiff,long,hard to cock, and wrong reg setting, along with nothing cleaned up on the internals.POS really......

I re-did the valve, chopped the barrel 5 to 6 inches and the shroud, installed K baffles, and a light weight short stiff spring.

10 times easier to swing around, cocking smooth and easy, 50 yards is a joke, and over 100 shots at 25 fpe under 3% using 14.3's. Max power hits it at 31 FPE.

For me now, it is the goto gun for plinking.

Really wish there was a bullpup stock for these.Boy that would be a game changer.

Well, I picked one up in .177 from Field Supply (refurbished) for $199.90 w/free shipping.

I knew it was going to be a Fun project and I planned on it needing some TLC. Out of the box it looked fine. I aired it up to 3000 psi,let it sit overnight...and no leaks.

I mounted a UTG 3-12x40 I had sittin around,sighted it in at 30 yds and was soon getting 3/8 inch 10 shot groups with AA 8.44's. It was pretty crunchy and the trigger Was pretty bad. Cocking was notchy and stiff...but I was expecting these results. The accuracy was Very good. (Yes,I cleaned the dirty barrel 1st.)

I then spent several hours cleaning,polishing,tweaking and doing some preliminary modifications. Added a bipod and switched the scope for a Bushnell Banner 6-24X40 AO mildot. As of now the trigger is Fantastic. The cocking is slicker than a Used car Salesman and after some JB Bore paste followed by Flitz,the occasional fliers have all but disappeared!

The next step is an order to J.S.A. and finding a longer bottle. Sooo,200 bucks to start and guess what? Don't wanna guess? Well..Too Bad,I'll tell ya Anyway! I'm Having FUN!!! ...and in My book,thats Good!

Mike

I bought a 22 knowing it was crude and boy it sure is. After working the bolt and trigger it is a lot better now. The Haji barrel band is the single most beneficial item to have to minimize POI shift. This thing sure weighs a ton! Bought it because I wanted to shoot asprins at 50 yards like Haji does.

It is going to be a bench gun since IMO it is too heavy to carry out into the field all day long.

Have to look into other beneficial mods for mine but don't want to go overboard, otherwise I may have been better off with a 22 Field and Target Marauder with Crosman barrel just like Shooter1721 has.

Walt

Hey Cherokee

never watched the Ted thread so that isn't my point. Yes I never owned one but have shot a few and worked on them for friends.

I was conveying what I thought about the Guantlet. Never said I hated it, just that I didn't care for it. I'm entitled to have my opinion as you have yours..

Its big and bulky and doesn't fit my style. After working on it to get some bugs out, which btw the mfg could have done, it is a better gun and more user friendly such as being easier to cock, etc.

You can believe what you want.

I did not say you hated it, just that you did not like it, please do not put words in my mouth. Now I did say "Those gauntlet haters...." this was not directed at you as I used a plural but if you want to lump yourself into that group it is up to you.

It has a host of issues, it is big, heavy and the gauge is only readable to eyes under 30 to name just a few. But the thing does a real good job a being a regulated thingy that puts holes in paper where you want them. I found mine no more difficult to cock (and you bringing up this specific point is why I made the Ted comment). Sorry if I over stepped but this was the one area where he really went over the edge with many people.

Trigger is a snap, and basically a QB trigger, if you can't adjust that you have no business being inside an air gun...or any gun, the thing is really just a QB on hpa, something that had been done for years Umerex just did it at the factory.

As far as the gun being a gun, most just flat work, we all know if it is made by man it can get screwed up, does not matter what it is, Umerex, daystate, fx, ford, chevy, rolls royce....anything can screw up. It is how people deal with the screwups, and the 383 stroker install that makes all the differences.

If you go at it with a I really never liked 10/22 (and i don't) but after I did all this work to it, you come across as someone that is attacking the product and only by this mod or that added part, it becomes a good gun. The 10/22 fanbois come out of the wood work. Now if you say I took my 10/22 and added this volquartsen this or that and wow you would not believe how it woke up...you get a different reaction.

Love mine. If you are weak like I am you could say it feels a bit heavy, but you'll also have to admit your a bit weak.

Cocks using only thumb & forefinger,great trigger & excellent groups. That is with no work or extra parts other than adjusting the trigger.

No reason at all not to love the gauntlet, umarex got 99% right ( the ninja bottles/regs do seem to be set at 900psi on most and the factory hammer spring needs 1,100 to work best)

As is w/out a sin gle change had this rifle been released in 2003 it would have topped $1,000 and no one would have had a complaint one , untill the price dropped.

Considering everything that can be done to a QB ( same basic system) has been done and is well documented I'm shocked more people are not modding them. Plenty of volume for 50fpe in .22 , crazy good trigger,