Making a "Free" Recycled Pellet Tin - Spinning Target

Hello once again, Shooters!

I had a whole bunch of empty pellet tins that I was looking for a use for, so I found this thread about recycling pellet tins where @NMshooter shares his collection of "Ted Targets" on this post. I thought that the "Ted Targets" were pretty cool, but looked to be too high of maintenance for me as you would surely have to keep going out and setting them back up, so I came up with my own variation..."The SkeeterHawk Spinning Ted Target", if you will.

Here is what the finished target looks like:
20230209_142235.jpg

To do this, you will need some supplies that you should have laying around:
  • Empty Pellet Tin(s)
  • Wire Coat Hanger
  • Plastic Straw
  • Small Tie-Wraps
  • Spray Paint

You'll need a few basic tools:
  • Drill with bits
  • Pliers with wire cutters
  • Razor Knife
  • Scissors
Basic Supplies:
20230207_151813.jpg

You drill holes just bigger than the diameter of the coat hanger at opposite ends of the pellet tin. Note that there are "crimp" marks on the JSB and FX tins that are exactly symmetrical, so you can use those as a guide as where to drill the holes to make sure that you are symmetrical. Here is a hole drilled in that crimp mark:
20230207_151953.jpg

Cut the coat hanger into four pieces as shown:
20230207_152340.jpg

Use the pliers and put two 45degree bends and one 90 degree bend in the center of each of the straight pieces of coat hanger as shown:
20230207_152751.jpg

I painted the front and back of the tins a different color so that they will look cool when spinning:
20230208_145358.jpg

20230208_145818.jpg

20230209_093055.jpg

If the pellet tin just spins in the hole by itself, it will get stuck, so I used a straw as a spacer to keep it above the bend in the wire. This also gives it a place to get "stuck" on the lip so that it will (hopefully) rotate to the same spot. I used a small straw from a juice box, but a regular straw should work too:
20230209_131935.jpg

Measure it so that the angle is facing up, and it will just stick barely above the bend in the wire as shown:
20230209_132109.jpg

Cut it to length:
20230209_132208.jpg

Take your razor knife and put a small (~1/8") slit on the short side of the 90 degree end of the straw as shown (This will give the tie-wrap a place to overlap the straw):
20230209_133111.jpg

Wrap the tie-wrap around the end closest to the 90 degree angle to hold it in place:
20230209_132608.jpg

20230209_133408.jpg

To make it "brighter" I added some Yellow electrical tape on the outside, avoiding the drilled holes as not to "hang up" the spinning action:
20230209_135356.jpg

The top of this post shows the target at this point once you insert the painted tin onto the wire hanger.

How take a drill with a big bit out
20230209_145554.jpg

Now drill some holes in scrap wood and insert the target, making sure that nothing will be in the way as it spins:
20230209_151824.jpg

Finally, here is a video of me demonstrating the targets in the freezing cold:

I probably could have used heat shrink as the spacer instead of the straw, but I wanted something pretty hard so that it would be more likely to spin longer. There may be improvements to this design, so if you think of something, please let us know.

I hope that you enjoy this little target! I did!

Happy and Fun Low-Maintenance Plinking!

Jonathan

Thought of something(s)🤗
Could you make use of a longer hanger piece and do multiple spinners on each.
You would have to start at one end( say the bottom)and work to the other(to the top). This could be mounted vertically or horizontally; hence making a long line(or pillar) of spinners.
🤔maybe even get a.spool of wire instead....
Then you could do the previously stated and then do shapes like an arch or a square.🤯
Or mount one in front of a pellet trap...🤔
Could even put fins on the sides with a pointy arrow on the sides to use them as wind indicators🤪🤙

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
What fantastic suggestions, @iAMzehTOASTY1 !

Could you make use of a longer hanger piece and do multiple spinners on each.
I thought about doing just that on this first one. I had some 0.177 Pellet tins and others that are smaller. All the ones I have left are screw top, so I let them make it for a while.

You would have to start at one end( say the bottom)and work to the other(to the top).
I totally get where you are going, and it would definitely make this more fun. I am thinking that the longer piece would be more prone to bending over if mounted from the bottom like the current design. I'm thinking that the trick would be to hang it :unsure:

This could be mounted vertically or horizontally; hence making a long line(or pillar) of spinners.
I tried the horizontal method for about 5 seconds. It turns out that the tins "self level" with the thin side facing you since the holes are drilled on the top half of the tin. I'm not sure how you could avoid this, but this would make the design easier to manage if we could figure out how to get the tins to orient correctly. You could drill the holes off center so that the bottom of the tin would "fall" down due to gravity, but this non-symmetry would make the tin spin less.

🤔maybe even get a.spool of wire instead....
It would have to be really rigid, or be mounted from the top, Maybe we could just use a piece of Romex wire hung from a tree limb, and use tie-wraps to keep the tins from sliding down the wire?? Hmmm...

Then you could do the previously stated and then do shapes like an arch or a square.🤯
Well, to keep up the "free" and "recycling" theme, perhaps the "arch" could be half of a foam thingy for packing pellets, and the square could be a whole one? I'd love to find another use for those foam thingies besides just the Necco Challenge.

Or mount one in front of a pellet trap...🤔
They may deflect enough to make this less than desirable. I have seen some ricochets in the snow a couple feet away.

Could even put fins on the sides with a pointy arrow on the sides to use them as wind indicators🤪🤙
That was what I was thinking when I painted them different colors on each side, but actually this is brilliant! You could hang a piece of plastic bag on there to act as a "tail" which would give you wind indication, but also keep the tin oriented consistently...as long as the wind was coming from the sides. Again, this was a great idea!

Keep the ideas coming! I'm already going to update this thread here soon with these concepts.

These targets are great, BTW. I've been shooting them every day since making them, and they are a whole lot of fun!! Highly recommended!!

Happy Shooting!!

Jonathan

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
What fantastic suggestions, @iAMzehTOASTY1 !

I thought about doing just that on this first one. I had some 0.177 Pellet tins and others that are smaller. All the ones I have left are screw top, so I let them make it for a while.

I totally get where you are going, and it would definitely make this more fun. I am thinking that the longer piece would be more prone to bending over if mounted from the bottom like the current design. I'm thinking that the trick would be to hang it :unsure:

I tried the horizontal method for about 5 seconds. It turns out that the tins "self level" with the thin side facing you since the holes are drilled on the top half of the tin. I'm not sure how you could avoid this, but this would make the design easier to manage if we could figure out how to get the tins to orient correctly. You could drill the holes off center so that the bottom of the tin would "fall" down due to gravity, but this non-symmetry would make the tin spin less.

It would have to be really rigid, or be mounted from the top, Maybe we could just use a piece of Romex wire hung from a tree limb, and use tie-wraps to keep the tins from sliding down the wire?? Hmmm...

Well, to keep up the "free" and "recycling" theme, perhaps the "arch" could be half of a foam thingy for packing pellets, and the square could be a whole one? I'd love to find another use for those foam thingies besides just the Necco Challenge.

They may deflect enough to make this less than desirable. I have seen some ricochets in the snow a couple feet away.

That was what I was thinking when I painted them different colors on each side, but actually this is brilliant! You could hang a piece of plastic bag on there to act as a "tail" which would give you wind indication, but also keep the tin oriented consistently...as long as the wind was coming from the sides. Again, this was a great idea!

Keep the ideas coming! I'm already going to update this thread here soon with these concepts.

These targets are great, BTW. I've been shooting them every day since making them, and they are a whole lot of fun!! Highly recommended!!

Happy Shooting!!

Jonathan
Great Jon's think alike🤪🤙

To move on with the
Great Jon's think alike🤪🤙
Theory, I modified the design of the spinners so that they will be hanging. Here is how the finished product looks now:
20230220_115829.jpg

To start us off on this revision, here are the fundamental tools:
20230219_130148.jpg

Note that this coat-hanger is more like the "modern" coat-hangers that you may encounter in that they have a plastic coating around the wire that sucks. It break and cracks all over the place and is generally "ugly", so I had to use a razor knife to get it all off of there. Here is a look at the carnage:
20230219_131746.jpg

Finally I cut the coat hanger basically in half and put a hook at the other end:
20230219_132115.jpg

For reference, The Crosman tins have a Red/Blue color-band that marks the exact diameter of the tin. The Daisy tins have a white line across the middle to give you some reference. The H&N don't give you a clue what-so-ever, so good luck getting those exactly centered unless you want to go through a good bit of trouble.
20230219_134149.jpg

I painted and taped multiple size tins to give the following:
20230220_113128.jpg

I took a straw and cut it with scissors. I cut about 1" lengths for the bottom, and about 1/2" lengths for the spacers between the tins:
20230220_113428.jpg

20230220_113643.jpg

Now take your wire hooks and start threading on the tins:
20230220_114218.jpg

Adding the straw-spacers in between the tins:
20230220_114242.jpg

20230220_114814.jpg

Put slits in the end of the longer (1") straws like the previous procedure so you can install 3 tie-wraps on the end to make sure that all of this stuff doesn't go sliding off the end of the coat hanger.
20230220_115511.jpg

Trim the tie-wraps up:
20230220_115740.jpg

The final target is shown at the start of this post. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot these targets yet as we have had 20,ph sustained wind with 40-50mph gusts for the last couple days, so I didn't figure that there was any point to fighting the wind for a demonstration, so I will post it when Mother Nature chills out a bit.

Let me know if you have any comments/or anything.

Cheers!

Jonathan

The wind lessened a bit, so I finally got out to test the new version of the spinning target. Here is a link to the video:

I thought that this was a fun looking shot, I only shot one sighter, and it was dead-on. Here is a picture of the shoot-n-see:
20230221_173047.jpg

Being right after Valentine's day, this box seemed appropriate for a sighter. Of course it was up-side-down in the video, but a Bull is a Bull, darn-it!

I didn't cut the video at all. I hope you enjoy!

Cheers!

Jonathan

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I have one more little update to this design. It turns out that when you are punishing the target, at some point the three tie-wraps on the straw piece at the bottom will pop off and the tins will go flying off the hanger. While this is gratifying, it is a pain in the butt. I wanted to have something that would screw into place, so I picked up these options:
20230308_132422.jpg

The Ground bar on the left I got at my local hardware for about $10. The one on the right, I ordered from Digi-Key for only $3.03 each. There is no contest, so I am returning the one to the store and using the "Euro-Style Terminal Blocks".

You have to cut the single block off:
20230308_134014.jpg

Attach the screw terminals to the bottom instead of using the tie-wraps:
20230308_134912.jpg

Here is the new version:
20230308_134944_Cropped.jpg

I'll get out there soon to give these a try, but I expect about the same performance as before.

Once again, Happy Shooting!

Jonathan

I have made a whole bunch of these spinning targets since originally posting this, and they are great, I must say! Here is a link to the post with a video that I just made today shooting 29 of these little things...among other things.

One thing that I wanted to mention about these targets is that you need to make sure to drill the hole through the lid and the bottom part BOTH. Even if the lid is much smaller than the tin as with this Air Arms tin:
20230927_181510.jpg

When I first started making these, I was getting "hung up" on trying to get the holes centered exactly, so the tin would be more balanced, and (hopefully) spin better. Well, when the top is small, like the AA tin above, this will blow apart as soon as you hit it. Only the tape holds it together, and that doesn't do well. Doing it like this, will keep it together a lot longer...meaning you get even more enjoyment out of your recycled pellet tin.

Anyway, I wanted to update this thread with this information because I really like these things to hold together until I turn them into Swiss Cheese myself.

Happy Shooting!!