Umarex Make Me Buy a Gauntlet SL30

Would just like to say, and this is just my opinion, if you are looking at a .30 pcp beside a 22lr with a big focus on cost you are going to lose out. Not the reason to go pcp especially 30 caliber.
Cost isn't the biggest concern but it is one of the factors that had kept me from doing it. I have a few pcp's already and a compressor etc. Projectile cost is a big deal to me as it is why I use PCPs to hunt when it is warranted and beneficial. I intend to try to stay away from slugs on this platform but we shall see. Rather not have to cut the choke off. The link provided earlier in this thread killed the cost concern on the gun, at that price it is being outweighed by the other positives such as quietness and cool factor. I surely agree with you in general and appreciate your feedback. Pretty sure the bell has been rung at this point. I'll sleep on it til Monday.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Ok yeah if you already have a compressor that’s a big step in the right direction. That cost already spent ammo will be close at least for good 22 lr. Pretty sure you can find match ammo for 13-14 cents a round which is the cost of 30 cal pellets
Yep I use hyper velocity .22lr at exactly 13-14¢ a round.

Speaking of .30 cal pellets, taking suggestions now on what works best in the SL30 or any .30 cal pellets for that matter.

Yep I use hyper velocity .22lr at exactly 13-14¢ a round.

Speaking of .30 cal pellets, taking suggestions now on what works best in the SL30 or any .30 cal pellets for that matter.
You can cast your own pellets and slugs at home. NOE makes .300 molds. So I usually buy pure lead for$1.00 a pound. A pound of lead makes alot of pellets...Airgun ammo prices high......

Reactions: GenXer
If you're only talking about PELLETS, we .30 owners don't have many options. 44.75gr, 50gr FX, JSB, Hades. That's about it but it's OK for me as they're all superbly accurate in my gun.
Thanks. Does Predator not make the Polymag in .30 anymore? I used to live in Littleton so I would try to support them whenever possible.

Also looks like Hatsan makes the Vortex Strike in .30 at a reasonable price.

Wow, great deal on the Polymags! Thank you.

Thank you. Will avoid for now. I dislike having rounds of ammo that I know I will never use.
I have several tins. I use them if I make a big move in tune to get a good baseline going before I switch to jsb. Use the hatsans when I’m just shooting over the chrono and beginning to make adjustments.

Thanks. Does Predator not make the Polymag in .30 anymore? I used to live in Littleton so I would try to support them whenever possible.

Also looks like Hatsan makes the Vortex Strike in .30 at a reasonable price.
Absolutely. Still made. DO NOT waste $ on the Vortex Strike! Terribly made pellets. When JSB used to make them they were great (labeled as Vortex, not Vortex Strike). Used em all the time. When they became Strike they also became POS in a tin. In most people's experiences Polymags are fine for medium distances then accuracy dwindles reaching for 100+ yards.

Reactions: GenXer
You've mentioned "quiet" several times. I have a Gauntlet 30 cal and the first time I fired it, it was as loud as my 22 rimfires with standard velocity ammo. Once I added a good moderator I considered it back yard friendly. You also mentioned pass through danger. It's going to be just as bad as a 22 lr due to the weight of the pellets. Unless you think it is safe to shoot your 22 lr in your yard than the 30 cal should be good. If you are in doubt stick to lesser powdered .177 or 22 pellets.

You've mentioned "quiet" several times. I have a Gauntlet 30 cal and the first time I fired it, it was as loud as my 22 rimfires with standard velocity ammo. Once I added a good moderator I considered it back yard friendly. You also mentioned pass through danger. It's going to be just as bad as a 22 lr due to the weight of the pellets. Unless you think it is safe to shoot your 22 lr in your yard than the 30 cal should be good. If you are in doubt stick to lesser powdered .177 or 22 pellets.
I have several backyards ranging from 90ft to 5 acres.

I mentioned that I use hyper velocity ammo in my .22lr

A larger diameter 44 grain pellet traveling at 1000fps is most definitely not going to travel as far as a smaller diameter 40 grain bullet traveling at 1435fps even without going through an animal. Under these circumstances the .22lr unquestionably has a longer effective and dangerous range.

Passing through an animal will slow the larger diameter, slower moving pellet down considerably more.

Supersonic rifles crack in a way that subsonic rifles do not. That said as previously mentioned I will be adding a moderator to add to the "quiet"

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore