• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Make Me Buy a Gauntlet SL30

GenXer

Feb 9, 2024
I look at the SL30, then I look at my .22lr, then I look at fpe, then I look at projectile weight and cost, then I wonder about noise and accuracy, then I look at the SL30, then I look my .22lr... Spent literally months in this viscous cycle.

I have had bad experiences with UX and their customer service.

Someone, push me off the cliff, please. Tell why I need the SL30. And if possible, tell me I'm wrong about Umarex as a company.

And, one last thing... Is there ANYWHERE to order one other than PA or AGD? I really hate getting used guns when I ordered new ones. This is probably one of the biggest reasons I haven't ordered one.

I had a Gauntlet 25. It was too heavy, too big, too poorly built with magic marker anodizing, leaked everywhere and was butt ugly.

I think there is a place for an air rifle that can approach or emulate .22 LR energy but when my customized 1022 is more accurate, more flexible, more compact, much lighter by nearly half and more accurate I am of the mind the G2SL is not the niche filler that I am looking for.

The first time you pull a trigger on a QUIET PCP, youll suddenly know why!
The SL30 isnt the quietest airgun by any means, but with a moderator, I would think it will be quieter than a 22LR.
Is .30 a MUST HAVE for you??
How important are noise levels??
Those are the questions you must ask yourself.
I will say, there is something golden, about a quiet PCP.

I love my powder burners, but....

When I fire a 50 grain slug with my .30 FX Crown, I would swear that there is no where near enough energy to be considered powerful!

Its just way too quiet.

Then I look at the chrony numbers, and it tells me a completely different story!

Low power is just an illusion, caused by the lack of noise.

When I step down to a even quieter .25 or better yet .22, the low power illusion is magnafied x2.

It puts a big ole smille on my face, that no powder burner (that I can own) could ever do!

I had a Gauntlet 25. It was too heavy, too big, too poorly built with magic marker anodizing, leaked everywhere and was butt ugly.

I think there is a place for an air rifle that can approach or emulate .22 LR energy but when my customized 1022 is more accurate, more flexible, more compact, much lighter by nearly half and more accurate I am of the mind the G2SL is not the niche filler that I am looking for.
Good feedback thank you. I have a Winchester Wildcat that is ultralight ultra maneuverable and uses 1022 mags I.e. BX-25s. One button removes the action for maintenance. With the "hyper velocity" rounds it produces about 175-180 fpe. And it was under $300. Very much the issues with the internal debate.

However, I'm taking into account the SL30 could be better in some cases ballistically at close range due to the larger diameter projectile and lower velocity. with a 22lr shock effect on organs really doesn't much come into play, and it forces me to have to have a lot of free area behind the target for pass-throughs. The airgun would surely be able to address that some. I figure maybe the SL30 could be quieter, especially with no sonic crack. Then we also just have the cool factor of 100+ fpe with air.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
A .25 Avenge X would be a better rifle overall in my opinion.
It's on the list but I have some 40fpe .22 pcp's and I'd like to surpass that power level by a wider margin. That said, the Avenge X may possibly be the best value in airguns at the moment. In my opinion. Also, it's not an Umarex. That's a plus for me as of now.

Thanks for the Hajimoto link. I love what he's doing. I can do most or all of that here. I'm sure he is busy! Looks like he has mags for me at the very least of I end up getting the SL.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I love my powder burners, but....

When I fire a 50 grain slug with my .30 FX Crown, I would swear that there is no where near enough energy to be considered powerful!

Its just way too quiet.

Then I look at the chrony numbers, and it tells me a completely different story!

Low power is just an illusion, caused by the lack of noise.

When I step down to a even quieter .25 or better yet .22, the low power illusion is magnafied x2.

It puts a big ole smille on my face, that no powder burner (that I can own) could ever do!
This, is the cool factor.

Noise level is probably the top reason for consideration.

Thanks for both posts.

Reactions: Airgun Al
A .25 Avenge X would be a better rifle overall in my opinion.
I second that 👍😉💪 Here a video I took shooting my Avenge-X at around 900 fps from my backyard. We only need a good moderator like the Hugget snipe to make them completely backyard friendly.
IMG_8870.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 17dean and GenXer
I second that 👍😉💪 Here a video I took shooting my Avenge-X at around 900 fps from my backyard. We only need a good moderator like the Hugget snipe to make them completely backyard friendly.
View attachment 434005
We know, Ray 😁

But it won't do 100+ fpe. As previously stated I want to make a bigger jump in power over my 40fpe guns. I am not really a bench shooter I am a hunter and my LW Marauder punches holes just fine.