• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Magnetospeed V3 or FX Radar?

Thinking about maybe buying a new Chronograph.

I have a Beta Master Chrony that works pretty well although I have never really warmed up to the physical setup and the way it needs to be monkey'd around with th change any of the settings . 

I am interested in the connectivity features of the FX and Magnetospeed and also for their ease of setup and use. I have zero chrony experience outside of my Beta. I have Cabelas points and gift cards that would make my out of pocket cost on the V3 Magnetospeed, roughly the same as the FX.

I like the versatility of the V3. I do reload for couple of revolvers and my T/C Contender and Encore Pistols , so the V3 gains a few points there I suppose. Although, I do have the Beta for the powder burners if I go with the FX. I like that The FX seems easier to setup, but once setup which has more useful features in the end?

I am wondering if setting up and using the V3 would be that much more involved than the FX and how well each of their apps perform.. Also wondering if one has better compatibility with Streylok Pro since I have just evolved to Streylok from good ol Chairgun.

I plan to continue research of the finer points and owners opinions on both,. So, Which one you would choose and maybe why if you could get either for $200 out of pocket ? 

Thanks

JT 

I just recently bought the FX chrony. Like you i put in some research, older versions of the magneto have limited success with airguns. There are mods to increase sensitivity using magnets, and a guy going all out with a raspberrypi. My decision came down to the distance the magneto has to be to the bore and my donny Fl might prevent it from reading a shot. Both units will change your poi. Happy with the fx.

JT, my first was a Caldwell and it was just fine outdoors, but when my situation changed and I could no longer have that luxury and had to shoot indoors to test, the extra lighting and size became an issue. I then saw these cool Compact Chinese boxes for $24 that didn't need lights and were sooo small!, Got to have it. Got it and after 2 days and doing the MPS to FPS on my computer I was done. Right then FX had introduced the Pocket Chrony in early 2019 and I grabbed one of the first batch. The concept was fantastic for my new 10yd indoor range. It did give me fits with it's original mounting concept, producing sporadic results...😕 Then the "upside-down" mount came around and it was a game changer, all is good in Chrono-land again!! It reads 99.9% of the time and is sooo easy to setup and launch the app, oh, btw, the app so far is always being updated (thank you Jukka!!) with new features to support us. My experience is that if there is a good hardware base with good software support you have a winning combo. 

The next step is one built into our Donny FL suppressor....Hmmm,that's a thought 😉

Daystate is integrating one in their delta wolf shroud.. not going off topic. Their system as what i can see from a pic looks to be a led light system like a Caldwell. The fx is radar, and the magnetospeed uses a magnetic field. In the future id love to see a collaboration where magnetospeed makes Donnyfl endcaps .

Totally agree with your observation. The evolution of regulators collaborating with chronographs and adjusting to compensate is just around the corner, if I was to guess.

Sounds like it is tough to beat the FX for ease of use and deployment on airguns. Leaning that way strong at this point. Thank you!

Can't beat it at the moment. For <$$200= no brainier in the current market.

Glad i could help. Don't forget your AAA batteries, yet another checkmark in the win column for me, standard everyday batteries. Interestingly, i had it on my gun when i smashed my c3 bumper on my impact, so i was able to see the velocity drop as it happened. Also fyi, the weakest link for the fx chrony is the battery door screw so keep that in mind when you tighten it.

Reactions: JT207