Magazine or singleshot for 50/100 yard benchrest?

If you want to be competitive with the best shooters at 50y….you will need wind flags and the patience to learn what they are telling you. Rapid fire magazine use will not likely help you attain a high score… because someone that can read flags is capable of never missing a 10.

At 100y with pellets….rapid fire has its merits because nobody has the brainpower to read flags at 100 like they can at 50.
Troy - I know this is off topic for your magazine vs. SST original post, but I wanted to comment on Mike's observations on wind reading and the importance of doing it effectively. I can move this discussion to a new thread.

Mike - Your post reminded me of a question I wanted to pose as it relates to wind flag "reading and interpretation." I wonder if there are any good well written posts or articles, that clearly describe "HOW" to read your flags? I have searched and must be looking in the wrong places, because I have not seen any. It seems this is an area that constantly frustrates so many of us who shoot from the bench.

Here is the logic and reasoning behind my question: Most of us learn (or try to learn and acquire) this skill by ourselves through trial and error. However, without the presence of a very knowledgeable person at your side guiding you, we are left up to ourselves to interpret the wind. Therein lies the rub. If you don't exactly know what to do to fix the errant shot, you may try to fix using incorrect approaches / holds to overcome the wind. I know there are rimfire wind rose wheels that "generally" provide some helpful information. However, that only takes you so far.

Let me give a couple of examples of things that I believe many of us would like to know. These are just a few samples, there are many more I am sure:

• Tail winds - What generally happens to the slug/pellet at 50 or 100 yards with a tail wind of 3-5 mph, as an example. Wind coming from directly behind the shooter, and what holds should be used to counter?
  • Head winds - Same question as above
  • Left to right winds and right to left winds - which are more favorable and forgiving?
  • When to defer to your near flag vs. distant flag with conflicting wind directions. i.e., near flag blowing left to right at 9am on the dial, distant flag ( near target) blowing right to left. Which flag should you use? Or, do you not shoot and wait for a different condition?
  • Provide guidelines as to when NOT to shoot, with good clear examples
  • Most favorable wind conditions, with examples of when to shoot

Essentially, there is a need for a user's guide approach with details and examples and explanations of 'how to read' the wind for bench rest shooting at 50/100 yards with an air gun.

I may create a post in the bench rest section just to get some input on this topic. Clearly, many struggle with this and I don't see much clarity around how to manage the wind reading discipline more effectively.

I prefer to single load because it causes me to slow down and evaluate.

As far as reading the flags, wellllllll.
I have 'looking at them' pretty much mastered, but the translation into the scoring rings is where I am lacking ......
The flags always speak the truth. But, that doesn't help if you don't speak their language. You just haven't figured it out yet. I did a lot of BR shooting for about 10 years, and I never got better than average at reading them. But they work.

I prefer single shot for almost everything. If it's designed well, single shot can be used a a fairly quick pace.
I'll even go further here... the direct insert type system has overall been most consistent for me. There is a reason Thomas, Steyr, USFT, AA ProTarget, and most 10M rifles designed for highest accuracy use this style... you can feel differences in pellet size as you insert it.
Keep in mind, a Thomas was used pretty successfully in the Sportsman Speed Silo at EBR. Would have never thought that possible but as I campaigned my USFT fairly well a couple of years , I should have considered it a possibility.
Bob