Magazine or singleshot for 50/100 yard benchrest?

Rowan engineering makes a single shot loader that works very smoothly. I have one for my each of my rifles that they are available for. Excellent vendor.

But in competition is singleshot better than a magazine?

But in competition is singleshot better than a magazine?
I have never been in any air rifle competition. However, singleshot always returns better accuracy than magazine when I shoot off the bench at paper. I can load a singleshot tray faster than a magazine over time. Those Rowan Engineering trays are a mesh between the two. Very good accuracy results from the bench but might not be legal in a competition? Very well built and repeatable results like a standard tray.

i haven't shot in any competition ( other than with shooting buddies) but for me it depends on the rifle i'm using... my RTI rifles shoot well with the magazine but better in single shot... my brocock compatto shoots great with the magazine or in single... no difference. it's just a better mag system. so speaking as a fellow machinist if your doing a custom build you might as well make a custom magazine for it (you were thinking it anyway)

T hammer - if you are competing against yourself, I would consider the merits of SST. In some of my rifles, they shoot more accurately than the magazine. RAW, HW100, Royale all shoot very well with SST - for me.

In competitition, many use mags to take advantage of wind calls and time constraints. It’s a religious war trying to decide which is better.

You need to test/experiment with each gun and test groups at various distances to ascertain which is better.

This is a competition gun I'm building and if there's near same results mag or single shot what do you choose. Say 3/8" Single Shot vs 1/2" at 50 yards magfed but mag is faster chasing wind. No disrespect but only looking at competition known results. I shoot 10 100 yard BR comps a year and have been doing it Single shot but feel I might me missing out on quick follow up shots in the same wind conditions as the last shot.

This is a competition gun I'm building and if there's near same results mag or single shot what do you choose. Say 3/8" Single Shot vs 1/2" at 50 yards magfed but mag is faster chasing wind. No disrespect but only looking at competition known results. I shoot 10 100 yard BR comps a year and have been doing it Single shot but feel I might me missing out on quick follow up shots in the same wind conditions as the last shot.
Troy - I agree with your last sentence.

I reread this post after we exchanged PMs. If you are shooting ten 100 yard Benchrest competitions a year, I would venture a guess that most of your peers are shooting magazine fed vs. SST. Wind is everything ( and ability to read wind) at 100 yards, and especially with pellets.

The benefit of having a magazine fed system to quickly take advantage of favorable wind conditions for quick follow up shots trumps having to load one shot at a time.

The regular RMAC and EBR competition shooters should weigh in here, but in talking to some of them, they have a clear preference for magazines.

Tom

Troy - I agree with your last sentence.

I reread this post after we exchanged PMs. If you are shooting ten 100 yard Benchrest competitions a year, I would venture a guess that most of your peers are shooting magazine fed vs. SST. Wind is everything ( and ability to read wind) at 100 yards, and especially with pellets.

The benefit of having a magazine fed system to quickly take advantage of favorable wind conditions for quick follow up shots trumps having to load one shot at a time.

The regular RMAC and EBR competition shooters should weigh in here, but in talking to some of them, they have a clear preference for magazines.

Tom
Btw, can you construct your new gun to have both an SST and mag fed option? Almost sure you are already planning to do this, but was curious.

Troy,

If you are talking about Cincinnati, then you know that the wind is NEVER the same as the last shot......LOL.

I shoot by single loading simply because I don't have a pile of mags for my EVOL or Crown, and with those platforms single loading is pretty quick.
Running an Impact, I always run through a sideshot mag as does everyone else there shooting an Impact.

Knowing where you are shooting at score wise, I would say go for it if you notice no differences in accuracy at range. Keep in mind though, that the top 2 spots are always within 5 points or so, and that 1/2 vs 3/8 might cost a point or two.

Reactions: wolfmangreg
If you want to be competitive with the best shooters at 50y….you will need wind flags and the patience to learn what they are telling you. Rapid fire magazine use will not likely help you attain a high score… because someone that can read flags is capable of never missing a 10.

At 100y with pellets….rapid fire has its merits because nobody has the brainpower to read flags at 100 like they can at 50.

Reactions: Scotty1