• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Magazine jammed in Red Wolf ?

Hi all 

So out shooting yesterday and was looking forward to a good day hunting and filming , Was just sorting out my drop on my Red Wolf and guess what , The new magazine that has worked so so well got jammed . After a bit of a wiggle it came out so I swapped back to the older magazine and oddly enough it did the same same thing ?? You have to move the cocking arm and move the mag at the same time ., So after a while I was fine with that so reverted back to thew new mag .... Well that was a mistake ... Its now jammed in the gun and cant get it out for love nor money . What a pain ! Anyone else had this ?? Does seem odd ? I had just got the gun shooting as it did as well ,. The thing was nailing a target at 150 yards with ease and was bang accurate . Just when you think its all going well ?? 

Rog

Interesting. Are you using the older style magazines, newer or both? You mention "older" but not sure if this meant just age or style.

Could your index pin be broken underneath the magazines jamming things in the breech? I've had the pin break 2x

Could the silver lever (older style magazines) at the bottom of the older style magazines be broken? I had one break on me.

Good luck, I'm following this thread as Im interested in the solution.

I cant tell you what worked for me but this is what I did. I kept cocking the lever, wiggled the magazine, both the entire unit and the wheel that houses the pellets (I only have the older style), and I may have dry fired a few times too. The magazine eventually worked its way out and in this instance I found a broken lever (from the magazine) under the magazine.

But yes, if it is stuck in there it could be scary.

Hey, I wonder if you removed the barrel? Take the top two hex bolts off and slowly pull the barrel off. It may help to release things. Good luck

You may have a squashed pellet in the breech jamming it and when cycling the other magazine without clearing the squashed pellet probably just added to that clump of lead making it more stuck. 

You can try to open (extend the side lever all the way open) holding it open all the way while forcefully jiggling rotating back and fourth the magazine round silver wheel back and fourth and pulling out the magazine to crack that halfway stuck Pellet in magazine and breech. You have to wiggle and pull very hard while extending that side lever with some tension. Put tension to slide that magazine out at the same time. Press from the other side firmly like you normally slide the magazine out but with greater force.

If that doesn't help you can remove the barrel but I don't do that nor ever remove the shroud and LDC because sometimes accuracy isn't the same after that so I would use a wooden dowel or fiberglass rod just a little smaller diameter than the Caliber from Wal mart or hardware or craft store (bring a pellet with you to measure one slightly smaller diameter) they are cheap. Ram that wooden or fiberglass rod muzzle loader style from the LDC end tap it in while the side lever is fully extended while putting tension to slide the magazine out. 

Future cases always rub that wooden dowel through if you think you got a jammed pellet first before loading another pellet or putting a new magazine inside to avoid this from happening again.

Probably not the pin. That's my guess. Just a pellet loaded in sideways it happens that jammed things up once in a great while because the magazine hadn't indexed fully or you maybe cocking too fast or not all the way back to its full rearward position.

Happens when I get lazy complacent and careless.

Actually the factory should just SIMPLY drill a dang hole in the SST then no problems!!!

Probably can 3d print one with a hole then no problemos!!!

ITS LIKE TRYING TO FART WEARING SUPER TIGHT LEATHER JEANS UP THE CRACK!!!

My .177 Redwolf has a plastic SS tray. There is an void space where the index pin protrudes from. So maybe they addressed the issue you mention

Since the new mag does not hold the pellet in place, it is possible that a pellet could have gotten hung up between the mag and the breech. 

The SST should have no effect. There is sufficient clearance for the pin in both style mags, as well as the SST. The actuator pin would be as likely to fail by hand loading each pellet, no SST or magazine. 

Thanks all for your help , I am looking to take the barrel off this eve and see if that makes a difference. Such a pain because as I said , the gun has come back on song and is shooting so so well . Its almost the best it has ever shot . So I have to take the scope off to get the barrel nuts etc... what a pain in the butt ! Nothing I can do I guess . It has to be done . I dont get why the new magazine worked so damn well and then suddenly stopped ? Makes no sense ? I talked to a gun shop near me and they said they had three Re3d Wolves back last week all with the same problem , the mended one and the other two had to go back to Daystate . I wonder when they will have time to mend those, I am sure they are up against it getting the long awaited Delta Wolf out . I t would have to happen to me now ! Grrrrrrr , poxy guns ! 

Rog

Thanks all for your help , I am looking to take the barrel off this eve and see if that makes a difference. Such a pain because as I said , the gun has come back on song and is shooting so so well . Its almost the best it has ever shot . So I have to take the scope off to get the barrel nuts etc... what a pain in the butt ! Nothing I can do I guess . It has to be done . I dont get why the new magazine worked so damn well and then suddenly stopped ? Makes no sense ? I talked to a gun shop near me and they said they had three Re3d Wolves back last week all with the same problem , the mended one and the other two had to go back to Daystate . I wonder when they will have time to mend those, I am sure they are up against it getting the long awaited Delta Wolf out . I t would have to happen to me now ! Grrrrrrr , poxy guns ! 

Rog

A broken pin could have exactly that effect. Will the magazine cylinder move at all? You've probably done this, but holding the rifle vertical, muzzle up, while moving the cylinder, could cause a jammed pellet to fall back into the magazine, but it's more likely that you would need to remove the barrel. If a piece of the pin is jammed against the magazine cylinder, I'm not sure how it would be removed, but it might mean damaging the magazine.