Made in the USA vs Assembled in the USA

Screenshot_20210128-135108.1611871526.png

I've noticed many products now are being assembled with globally sourced parts aka Chinese parts. The Built in USA I think is now a catch all for assembled in the USA now. I wonder if the FTC gave up entirely. Anyway, I was hoping to get a list of rifles going here that are assembled but not Made in the USA.

My first up is the LCS SK-19. I was told the parts on it are all foreign. Does anyone know if this is true? 

Any other assembled in America rifles?

Yeah, that has been a problem for some time. I even had a hard time a while back finding certified materials that were non-Chinesium - especially brass and aluminum stock, which I refuse to use because it's flat out dangerous (I had a supposed 360 brass rod literally "shatter" while I was turning it in my lathe once).

I have that issue with stainless steel sheet metal screws. Miners sells a bunch that end up rusting and are not true stainless steel. Chinesium

Hmm, so you think the rest of the parts are not imported? Great gun btw. Always wanted one but can't drop that kind of money. Imagine placing 2 580cc bottles on it! 

Not necessarily - I have no way of knowing where the other parts come from. Getting a little off topic, but I've been happy with a single bottle. For the most part it's an accurate semi-auto to me, and every now and then a fun full-auto toy.

GsT

I do sometimes wonder why we have "made in" question mark on items.

Many devalue items that aren't home grown, are they any worse?

In this world of global outsourcing you can never be quite sure where anything can be attributed to a single source. 

I fish, I bought a vann stal reel, American company, but made in China. It works fine, do I care where it was made?

Not a cat in hells chance, it works extremely well and therefore it doesn't matter to me quite where it was made.

Much as I would like to say buy British (guess where I'm from) it isn't an option when you look at particular items you are interested in. Quality and reputation of the company you are dealing with are mostly what I look at.

Its a global market that manufacturers will outsource to make the best deal they can, that deal often results in you paying a lower price. 

They manufacture items that are meant to be disposable it's im. Doesn't matter Chinesium metals (THAT'S A GOOD ONE BTW!) That's how they make their money repeat customers having to re-buy their products all over and over again. That's their upbringing mentality there. MONEY is THE MOST important thing to them over anything else in life. 

Just buy them as cheap as you can because their materials ain't the best quality which everyone already knows.

They manufacture items that are meant to be disposable it's im. Doesn't matter Chinesium metals (THAT'S A GOOD ONE BTW!) That's how they make their money repeat customers having to re-buy their products all over and over again. That's their upbringing mentality there. MONEY is THE MOST important thing to them over anything else in life. 

Just buy them as cheap as you can because their materials ain't the best quality which everyone already knows.

Don't pay more for less mentality. I am forced to deal with Chinesium in construction materials a lot. Often it isn't just the failure of the material but rather that the part is engineered around cost saving (saving like 2 cents on a $3 part) rather than structural integrity. But back to the Chinesium metal, there are a lot of times it is closer to a pot metal than I like.

Yeah, that has been a problem for some time. I even had a hard time a while back finding certified materials that were non-Chinesium - especially brass and aluminum stock, which I refuse to use because it's flat out dangerous (I had a supposed 360 brass rod literally "shatter" while I was turning it in my lathe once).

I have that issue with stainless steel sheet metal screws. Miners sells a bunch that end up rusting and are not true stainless steel. Chinesium

There are many types of stainless steel. And some of them do rust.For example my exhaust system on my truck doesn’t rust but you can stick a magnet to it .When I first bought it brand new I thought I was being lied to and it wasn’t stainless at all. Well it has Outlasted many of my other exhaust systems that I had replaced on some of my other vehicles. Where I live you’re lucky to get two years out of an exhaust system that’s made out of regular steel.

Yes, it matters where it is made and where the materials come from. I have learned to trust true items made in the USA and a few other countries because they use the right materials, quality materials, for the job. Not some Chinesium material that will bend, shatter or break unexpectedly. 

I used a Chinese pair of vise grips to hold open a heavy door while I werqed on a transit bus one day. The metal actually bent, poor quality materials were used, the vise grips broke and the 30lb door fell several feet onto my head. I learned that day not to use Chinese products when my life or well being depends on it.

My company started buying fasteners from China to save some money. Screws and bolts started braking on the transit buses left and right. This is a big deal when lives are in the middle and the FEDs can get involved. We mechanics were blamed until it was investigated further and the troubles were found to start when the company started sourcing fasteners from China. Poor quality steel was used to make these fasteners. Lots of money and time went into replacing all those screws, nuts and bolts over the next few months to make things safe again.

That's not to say that many of the Chinese products are not good it's just to say that, with so many bad products out there it's really hard to tell which is good, which is bad and what will stay good over a prolonged period of time. Many if not most Chines products cannot be trusted for the most part because of this. Phones and computers burning up? Chinese batteries are at fault.

My daughter ran a vehicle exhaust warehouse and they got many of their parts from China including stainless tubing. This werqed well ,for a couple of years, until someone in China decided to change things up and make the tubing out of cheaper material even though the specific material was specified in the contract. A common practice in China make it cheaper to make more money. Well the tubing began rusting promptly where it had not before. Her company lost many tens of thousands of dollars and a several big accounts because of this.

Most of us have learned that buying Chinese airguns is often like buying a diamond in the rough. With a little werq and maintenance they can shine. But without it they are just a dull piece of useless rock.

... transit bus...
...Screws and bolts started braking on the transit buses....

...the company started sourcing fasteners from China...

I am a mechanical designer - consultant for NFI (city buses) / MCI (transit buses) in Winnipeg, hoping they restart my contract soon.

I work remotely for them from 3000 Km away, NPD = New Product Development, my specialty is the power plant (Diezel-Electric or Propane-Electric) battery racks, including heating-cooling-electrical routing. So pretty much the entire bus is in front of me.

When I am designing thingy's from them I have a library for common hardware, I can see in the system what is a stock currently available and I chose accordingly.

There are hardware engineers - and couple of them specifically for fasteners - doing evaluations and constantly updating the libraries in the system...

The company is buying hardware from a list of approved Vendors, to get into that list is not so simple, the approval process is couple layers vertically signoffs.

From engineering point I don't care from where that screw is coming from, I need the specs only, numbers...M5x25 hardness this and that, torque value this and that...I don't care for savings, for design my budget is pretty much open.

The Vendors, suppliers are responsible for specs on that M5 (in example) also they responsible for 10 years of supply backwards on past models.

That is called a PLM = Product Lifetime Management.

If a Supplier or Vendor drops off the list for whatever reason, hard to believe they can get back easy.

So ship it from China or Pakistan or ... who cares...but there are serious companies out there who want to do - and doing - a serious Business.

There is nothing wrong with Chinese quality. They will make a part to any specification you want and charge appropriately. The problem arises when everyone in North America wants union wages but shops at Walmart. A lot of manufacturing went off-shore for a reason. There is a reason higher quality costs more i.e. materials, tolerances, QC procedures/checks. The Chinese are using the same cnc machining centers we are, the same cutting tools and they have capability to engineer stuff. They probably realize cost savings on wages/benefits, safety procedures etc. The North American company purchasing the product decides what quality they want and what price they're willing to pay for a given component. If you want high quality be willing to pay for it.

I'll bet the computer that you are using is made...offshore !

You have a cell phone ? 10 to nothing, that's made...off shore. Most good ol American car and truck tires, are now made, you guessed it, made offshore. Anything electronic, offshore.

So...why make a big deal about it ? It's part of life in the 21 century. Just be happy when you DO get to pay over priced, prices and get to buy American made products.

Mike

I'll bet the computer that you are using is made...offshore !

You have a cell phone ? 10 to nothing, that's made...off shore. Most good ol American car and truck tires, are now made, you guessed it, made offshore. Anything electronic, offshore.

So...why make a big deal about it ? It's part of life in the 21 century. Just be happy when you DO get to pay over priced, prices and get to buy American made products.

Mike

I make it a priority to support jobs here, and I can only do that when I know what products are made here. If that means paying more, I'll still do it. I got to support my working brothers. If we don't get that mindset cultivated now, then all is lost. With airguns I do generally like guns made off shore too like Germany and Eastern Europe...so I will buy those too but it is better to buy American.