Machining Plastics - How to Make a Poppet, Regulator Piston Seat, etc

After cutting a piece of (black) delrin to length, I installed it in this collet chuck. Some might say a collet chuck is the ideal way to hold this, but I'm really using it because it is what is on the lathe at the moment and I see no reason to change. If I'd had my 3-jaw or 4-jaw chuck installed on the lathe, both of those would have been fine for this job.

Generally speaking a collet chuck should work with a high degree of accuracy. Similarly a 4-jaw chuck (among other features) is capable of being adjusted very precisely. Most 3-jaw chucks are self-centering, so you don't have to adjust anything, but there's usually some loss of precision and you kind of get what you get. In this case it doesn't matter. Because I'll be turning the outside of the part to begin with, the cut part will end up being "perfectly" centered with the axis of rotation even if the outside of the raw material were off several thousandths.

A general rule of thumb is that you don't want the workpiece to stick out of the chuck more than about 3 diameters. This is a 0.25" (1/4") rod, so I wouldn't want to hang it out more than 3/4". BUT, less is always better in terms of rigidity. Since this is a thin part (0.135" thick), I'm sticking it out only far enough to be able to cut that much off, with some allowance for material that will be removed from either end as I make the piece.

View attachment 433034
ER collets are a good way to go because they hold plastics better than a jaw chuck. Delrin is slippery stuff and slips in a chuck. A 6 jaw is ok. The comments in post #2 about HSS are spot on. Most all hobby guys aren't willing to experiment with HSS and invest a little bit of time to learn to grind it. It's the hobby machinist's best choice. I've rarely seen Youtubers have a clue how to use it. 90% + seem completely lost when they display it in use. Took me just a little while to learn most of the profiles I prefer. Starting when I was 14 years old 50 years ago. I can buy any tooling I want yet still grind my own because it works best for me.
AED743A1-158E-41F3-8C9A-2EF9EFB924C6.jpeg
A small screw I made this week. Got to be ready with the half nuts running about 150 rpm.
IMG_1964.jpgIMG_1978.jpgIMG_1981.jpg
IMG_3567(1).jpgOne of my lathes

Reactions: bustachip
The EZ way to mess up your machining of any material is a Dull Tool Bit.
I like to use very sharp Cobalt High Speed steel cutting bits!!
I love my Diamond High speed Tool bit holder!!
Peek1.jpg

But Carbide indexable tools work great too!!
No lube or cooling needed....
I don't often see a tangential tool holder. I might get one. The only thing is you can't turn to a shoulder, then just turn it to face your part like I can with my own grinds. Not sure I want one just to have one. Hmmm...... Talking about HSS to most guys is like speaking a foreign language,.........they don't understand.

Reactions: Ca_Varminter

One of these would be nice for an at home shop, for making simple airgun parts. I wish they'd put a collet attachment in the press spindle instead of a drill chuck tho.
Has a #3 morse taper spindle. Get a #3 morse taper ER collet chuck with a draw bar threaded shank and you're good to go. Drill chucks are not for milling! Held on to the shank with drill chuck Jacobs taper (JT33 perhaps?). NOT designed for side forces. Falls out and gets ugly. Never happened to me because I know better. I wish I could say that about some other things!
I don't recommend a combination machine. They don't do anything well enough and cost almost as much as separates anyway.

Has a #3 morse taper spindle. Get a #3 morse taper ER collet chuck with a draw bar threaded shank and you're good to go. Drill chucks are not for milling! Held on to the shank with drill chuck Jacobs taper (JT33 perhaps?). NOT designed for side forces. Falls out and gets ugly. Never happened to me because I know better. I wish I could say that about some other things!
I don't recommend a combination machine. They don't do anything well enough and cost almost as much as separates anyway.
Well i dont know much about machining or anythig, i just thiught it was a neat lookin piece for someone wanting to start from nothing on a budget.

I don't often see a tangential tool holder. I might get one. The only thing is you can't turn to a shoulder, then just turn it to face your part like I can with my own grinds. Not sure I want one just to have one. Hmmm...... Talking about HSS to most guys is like speaking a foreign language,.........they don't understand.
I have a couple tangential toolholders (two different sizes). I liked them for a while, but kind of fell out of the habit of using them. They use a fixture for sharpening, which seems easier to some, but you have to go get the fixture, install the tool, etc, etc. I can touch up a regular hand-ground cutter in a few seconds on the grinder with no more preparation than moving the tool over to the grinder... While you might never dull a tangential holder on plastic, if you use it for steel, the 'flank' that dulls is one corner along the length of the tool bit. This necessitates a lot of grinding to completely remove. There's another, related, design called the Wimberley that's designed to fix that. Got one. Don't really use it either.

GsT

I have a couple tangential toolholders (two different sizes). I liked them for a while, but kind of fell out of the habit of using them. They use a fixture for sharpening, which seems easier to some, but you have to go get the fixture, install the tool, etc, etc. I can touch up a regular hand-ground cutter in a few seconds on the grinder with no more preparation than moving the tool over to the grinder... While you might never dull a tangential holder on plastic, if you use it for steel, the 'flank' that dulls is one corner along the length of the tool bit. This necessitates a lot of grinding to completely remove. There's another, related, design called the Wimberley that's designed to fix that. Got one. Don't really use it either.

GsT
I touch up my bits for my Diamond holder with my diamond hones.. Quick simple, maintains the Sharp cutting edge ...
Also using Cobalt High speed steel blanks.... they will keep an edge longer, even while being abused.
The only thing about High speed steel... You must use cutting oil when cutting hard material, i.e. steel
BTW I keep my Sharpening Jigs for the diamond holders on my grinder with a strong magnet... No searching for it...

I touch up my bits for my Diamond holder with my diamond hones.. Quick simple, maintains the Sharp cutting edge ...
Also using Cobalt High speed steel blanks.... they will keep an edge longer, even while being abused.
The only thing about High speed steel... You must use cutting oil when cutting hard material, i.e. steel
BTW I keep my Sharpening Jigs for the diamond holders on my grinder with a strong magnet... No searching for it...
Even oil hardening tool steel machines with HSS. HSS is fine on steel, just like your HSS end mills are. I never use cutting oil on regular turning jobs with steel. Only when drilling, parting, threading, trepanning, form bits, and knurling. Otherwise it's not necessary. Maybe your rake angles are off. If your angles aren't right you will not get a fine finish and cutting oil isn't the answer. Correct angles are. Make sure you have enough side rake and back rake. I think the rake angles are where people go wrong. Shear the steel, not scrape it off. That's when you get that finish that you could file your fingernails with, when it's not shearing.
I don't have coolant setups so when milling I often just hold an acid brush with a little oil against the back side of the end mill to help cool it. I never flood my parts with it like some do. Too messy! I want to preserve expensive end mills. Not so worried about a HSS blank for the lathe that I can resharpen in a minute and a half. When your chips aren't blue or straw colored your HSS should be holding up pretty well.

I worked with plastic of all kinds for many years. We learned that of we used a cutting tool on metal, we then would not use it for plastic, at least for finish cuts anyway. Cutting tools for plastic need to be razor sharp.
That is why HSS tooling is perfect!! You can get a razor sharp edge, that is strong and resists chipping!!

That is why HSS tooling is perfect!! You can get a razor sharp edge, that is strong and resists chipping!!
And you don’t have to have expensive diamond wheels on your grinder to sharpen them like carbide.
Typical carbide has a radius on every edge, which is fine for steel/metal. Where I worked we used lots of carbide on our lathes and mills (high volume production) and we of course used carbide that was especially for plastic and was literally as sharp as a razor.
Cutting tools last a long long time with plastic.