• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch machining a dove tail ?

Hey Beer,
- If the scope goes on the breach block dove tail - in addition the receiver, how do you cock it?
- If the scope only goes on the breach block dove tail, I think repetitive cocking would change POI constantly -> leading to mass frustration:confused:.
Lol.. now that would be a trick to see..

But ill assume dovetail just on the block to mount? Is there enugh block area for 2 rings? Or shooting for imtoasties one ring setup?

All you can do is go for it . Maybe end up the best thing ever..

Interesting question! Do an experiment, and just mount the dovetail using the already present tapped sight holes on the Weihrauch breech block as someone did here, using
L1009491.jpg
a Walther LP SSP?

Reactions: beerthief
Interesting question! Do an experiment, and just mount the dovetail using the already present tapped sight holes on the Weihrauch breech block as someone did here, usingView attachment 379088 a Walther LP SSP?
yup just what i am talking about . on Break barrel guns the rear sight is mounted on the barrel to eliminate barrel lock up issues , SO why not a scope mount ?

maybe il just order a HW30 to do this .

has any one tried machining a 11MM dove tail on the breach block of a break barrel and using a long eye relief pistol scope , kind of a fake fixed barrel ?
just a thought from too much coffee ?
Can it be done....sure, if you have a good shop and the right equipment. How will it work ?? Who knows??

Reactions: beerthief
In giving this some additional thought, while I think it should be superior to a receiver mounted scope, I don't think it would be a true fixed barrel replacement. If there is any play at all in the barrel to receiver lockup, its effects would still be present in this. Whereas, in a true fixed barrel gun, this shouldn't be a factor.

So, while it still sounds like a fun idea to try, I don't think it would result in a true fixed barrel performance.

Would it be worth the time, cost and effort? I think only trying it would tell.

I point this out because our "true fixed barrel" HW97K wasn't so fixed for its first three years. The welds attaching the barrel to the receiver weren't all that great, resulting in erratic POI -- until it broke itself apart, and it finally became a true fixed barrel gun upon repair. If there's any play at all in the barrel to receiver lockup / attachment, when the piston slams forward, it's going to find it, and it's going to affect its accuracy. Guaranteed.

Cheers.

Again, please let us know what you find, if you decide to do this!

Parallax results from the angular displacement of the eye off the optic center. the further forward the scope is on the rifle the further you have to displace your eye to yield equivalent parallax error. It was not a noticeable issue on my Baikal 513M but then again, that thing has recoil like you read about and precision with a 2X pistol scope was not a primary goal.