• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Mac1 USFT Questions

I’m very interested in the USFT because of its low fill pressure, simple design, and, funnily enough, I actually kind of like how certain USFTs look. I have only two questions: how much does it actually weigh (specifically the newer ones with the shorter barrel/air tube), and would it be competitive in WFTF if converted to 12 foot pounds. 

Thanks,

Antoni

In FT configuration, they vary in weight between under 9lbs to over 15lbs. Older angled style gen-I guns weigh about two pounds more than Gen I Hunter style actions, and Gen II carbines are lighter yet, but there isn’t much wood or plastic in any of em.... most all metal is either aluminum, stainless, or air-hard tool steel except the leaded steel barrel.

I designed the gun for FT many yrs ago, and I did consider the effect of “lock-time” and barrel dwell time. I realized that if guns are rested or supported as around 95% of the shots are, there is no important disadvantage to longer lock or even barrel dwell time, so I deliberately built a visual hammer fall and very long barrel to PROVE the design competitve, And it WAS proven when the first gun I built in series to demonstrate the design won the AAFTA National Championship match some months after it was built. The USFTs have won the National FT even several more times, and even The World FT event once. Sure, for the 5 percent offhand shots, a quicker firing cycle does ease follow-thru, but the good guys are mostly all great offhand shots anyhow, so I wasn’t worried. The long barrel and larger reservoir helped shot consistency and reduced mid-match filling, and more importantly, improved reliability by dramatically reducing the number of internal seals and moving parts. Most of these guns have been in regular use for more than a dozen years with no repairs ever, some almost twenty.

Scott claimed his specially tuned gun had a special reg and very quick locktime, and with it, he managed to tie for second place the inaugural Oregon Extreme FT event ... failing to best the non-regulated slow hammerfall USFT shooting alongside that was piloted by a guy that had never seen or shot the gun before the event’s sight-in period. Gofigger.

Face it, there are a number of FT models that can, and have won ... the typical accuracy demands for most shots are around three to five moa, and most top guns can deliver sub-moa results under ideal conditions, so its not the gun, as most decent guns can deliver the goods on a given day unless it lets you down by breaking. I wanted a gun design that doesn’t break much. I have fun tinkering (and back in the day) designing, and shooting, but am not a great shot or even a serious competitor. I also haven’t any monetary interest In the guns Mac1 builds and sells, even though many incorporate my designs or redesigns ... it was for the love of airgunning and to keep me outta titty bars.

Mine doesn't give the impression of a delayed lock time ( although the older ones I've shot do seem to have a delayed "feel" to them). I shoot mine no differently than any other gun though, no concentration on follow through or effort towards such. 

It has shot more than one perfect match. 

Of course this is at just under 20fpe, I can't comment on how they behave @WFTF legal <12fpe. 

As for Antoni's original question: I have no idea how heavy mine is. I'd guess around 13-14lbs, scopes with a Falcon X50 which I believe is in the 28oz ballpark, and the hamster and thighrest. As Dan House said though, weight is a good thing in a field target gun. 

And yes, can be competitive, as long as it's got a good barrel. 

As a side not, you mention the appeal of the low fill pressure, an upcoming post on the review I'm doing will have shot count and fills/tank info. Really eye opening how many shots a tubed USFT can get, from even a lowly scUba tank. 

In my opinion, the low fill pressure and the reliability akin to the sun coming up every morning are really what sets the USFT apart from other field target guns

Scott claimed his specially tuned gun had a special reg and very quick locktime, and with it, he managed to tie for second place the inaugural Oregon Extreme FT event ... failing to best the non-regulated slow hammerfall USFT shooting alongside that was piloted by a guy that had never seen or shot the gun before the event’s sight-in period. Gofigger.

Larry, what you conveniently OMIT is the glaring fact your USFT was a .22 running in about 48 FPE !! shooting against a .177 at @ 33 fpe.

O' what some more info brings to light.