MAC1 USFT Analysis/Overview

I was fortunate enough to shoot Simple Simon 7. Only FT match I ever shot. Squad was myself and the master, Tim McMurry himself. Shot against some very good and well know talent of the day (2004 IIRC) took second behind Tim. I dropped 3 offhand shots I should not have missed. It was not the guns fault. It was a glorious day.

tim

I was fortunate enough to shoot Simple Simon 7. Only FT match I ever shot. Squad was myself and the master, Tim McMurry himself. Shot against some very good and well know talent of the day (2004 IIRC) took second behind Tim. I dropped 3 offhand shots I should not have missed. It was not the guns fault. It was a glorious day.

tim
why only one FT match?

I never shoot to win just to have fun and I’m never disappointed
IMG_6993.jpeg
IMG_6992.jpeg
IMG_6989.jpeg

Spent hours playing with this thing
Thanks @BC

Welcome to the club.
Would be interested in your first impressions
Learning curve - not too bad
1800-2100 psi fill and 50 shots b4 refill
Easy to scope and easy to get a good eyebox and cheek weld
Nice trigger
Much easier to load than a TM1000 or a Steyr because of more open and direct access to barrel without finger gymnastics- huge plus for me
I never shoot <12 jsb 8.4’s but I do now 😳 They certainly behave differently than my <20 jsb 10.3’s
785 fps with the 8.4’s
My total rig weight with scope was 11 lbs11 oz but no hamster installed yet
I did only bench work today-no standers or kneelers so holding a POA hasn’t been challenged yet.
LOUD! Definitely needs moderation!!!

Reactions: davit66
Learning curve - not too bad
1800-2100 psi fill and 50 shots b4 refill
Easy to scope and easy to get a good eyebox and cheek weld
Nice trigger
Much easier to load than a TM1000 or a Steyr because of more open and direct access to barrel without finger gymnastics- huge plus for me
I never shoot <12 jsb 8.4’s but I do now 😳 They certainly behave differently than my <20 jsb 10.3’s
785 fps with the 8.4’s
My total rig weight with scope was 11 lbs11 oz but no hamster installed yet
I did only bench work today-no standers or kneelers so holding a POA hasn’t been challenged yet.
LOUD! Definitely needs moderation!!!
Is that a regulated gun?
I went with the DFL 16mm adaptor on the front with a Tanto and or the Atom. Same setup as @Franklink
Not that I am any good at standing shots, but I also added weight to the rear or the gun to try and balance it better. We will see how it works out once I get a chance try it out.

Reactions: cavedweller
Not that I am any good at standing shots, but I also added weight to the rear or the gun to try and balance it better. We will see how it works out once I get a chance try it out.

Dunno if it was an LD idea or a Timmy Mac addition, but mine came with a little anodized aluminum peg, about pinkie diameter and 5inches inches long. It's threaded on one end and screws into the bottom of the shoulder "pad." So it sticks under the armpit. I only use it for offhand shots in Open class but it creates a sort of fulcrum effect at the forend, for offhand shots. Makes the gun feel like it weighs much less than it really does, and is the more simple and elegant solution than adding rear weight. Of course it's basically a butt hook, holding true to the USFT trend of doing it in a simple and unique manner.

It's legal for Open or WFTF, but I don't think it'd fly in Hunter class.

Is that a regulated gun?
I went with the DFL 16mm adaptor on the front with a Tanto and or the Atom. Same setup as @Franklink
Yes to regulated; too bad my belly doesn’t work as a counter weight 😁
My barrel tip downward is 16.1 mm at its largest point so the Rowan adapter I ordered should work. I prefer Rowan to others because they use 4 grubs to secure the adapter rather than 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: oaks1450
Dunno if it was an LD idea or a Timmy Mac addition, but mine came with a little anodized aluminum peg, about pinkie diameter and 5inches inches long. It's threaded on one end and screws into the bottom of the shoulder "pad." So it sticks under the armpit. I only use it for offhand shots in Open class but it creates a sort of fulcrum effect at the forend, for offhand shots. Makes the gun feel like it weighs much less than it really does, and is the more simple and elegant solution than adding rear weight. Of course it's basically a butt hook, holding true to the USFT trend of doing it in a simple and unique manner.

It's legal for Open or WFTF, but I don't think it'd fly in Hunter class.
It had to happen or i would spend too much time and money at the audiologist for hearing aids - which would affect my funding for future airguns.

I added a 16mm Rowan barrel adapter 1/2" UNF - perfect fitment, though i did move the barrel band slightly aft. The basic Weihrauch .177/.22 moderator has reduced the bark to very backyard friendly. @BC thanks again.

Question for all in the know = the breech lists "MWP at 1800 psi". Is this in fact the maximum airtube fill pressure?

IMG_7037.jpeg

H
It had to happen or i would spend too much time and money at the audiologist for hearing aids - which would affect my funding for future airguns.

I added a 16mm Rowan barrel adapter 1/2" UNF - perfect fitment, though i did move the barrel band slightly aft. The basic Weihrauch .177/.22 moderator has reduced the bark to very backyard friendly. @BC thanks again.

Question for all in the know = the breech lists "MWP at 1800 psi". Is this in fact the maximum airtube fill pressure?

View attachment 423985
Hey Rudy, when Tim made me the gun, he said......" fill to 2100 psi and refill about 1200 psi".....so there goes the mwp 1800 being the max pressure of the 1/8 wall aluminum tube. Tim also said the guys in the Philippines who have his guns have been filling them to 3000 psi for years and havent reported issues....but I wouldnt do that. he said theyre crash test dummies..hahaha BC

Reactions: cavedweller
Yes. 1800 psi max fill pressure
Mine was 1600, and shot best between 1500 and 1250 psi - as a tube gun...
Hey SD, that would apply on a regular tube gun, but Tim made that one with a reg in the tube, set to about 1150 psi. He told me 2100 psi fill. I fill my unreg tube gun to 1400 and refill at 1000 normally....and I have a HPA 3K gun to shoot at 20 fpe....

Reactions: Franklink
Hey SD, that would apply on a regular tube gun, but Tim made that one with a reg in the tube, set to about 1150 psi. He told me 2100 psi fill. I fill my unreg tube gun to 1400 and refill at 1000 normally....and I have a HPA 3K gun to shoot at 20 fpe....
I wasn’t sure if this gun had a reg, I held off answering for a while.
thanks for setting me straight

Reactions: BC
H

Hey Rudy, when Tim made me the gun, he said......" fill to 2100 psi and refill about 1200 psi".....so there goes the mwp 1800 being the max pressure of the 1/8 wall aluminum tube. Tim also said the guys in the Philippines who have his guns have been filling them to 3000 psi for years and havent reported issues....but I wouldnt do that. he said theyre crash test dummies..hahaha BC
All good - old navy divers always verify MWP. Not sure why MWP was marked on the gun as 1800.

VERY cool to hear reg in the tube is now an option. The aesthetics of the external reg between a bottle and a chopped tube hurts my eyes.

Wait wait …., you have a Mac 1 at 20FPE?
I didn’t think you went there 😳

Reactions: BC