MAC1 USFT Analysis/Overview

LD did test a good number of the first ones in his tunnel and there was an accuracy guarantee of sorts but mine is #25 and the barrel that was on it, as well as a couple of friends barrels were far from "selected". Mine and my friend's were tested and had good groups but in the wind... quite sensitive. @Franklink's, by comparison is as good as it gets in the wind. I replaced my barrel w an LW poly and it has been a HUGE step up in shootability... maybe even close to @Franklink's.
Phenomenal rifles, regardless. If you're not competing, the wind sensitivity probably won't matter much anyway.
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade... just not sure where the "coveted" aspect comes in. Comparing mine to @Franklink's, his is MUCH more refined and his is a late version.
I have a good number of good shooters but my USFT will definitely be one of the last to go from my collection.
Bob
Bobby,

Ive heard your opinion about your original USFT barrel many times, but this is the first ive seen you say it was “far from being selected”!

Well, back in the day when the first of my guns were made, I came up with a barrel selection method that involved shooting a number of consecutive groups in the 51 yard tunnel I designed and constructed at great expense in time and money. When YOUR gun was built, I probably tested it too (in effort to help Tim out), and if I did, it was in the same 51yard tunnel.

Now bear in mind, at that time (and until just a few years ago) NO airguns were being tested at long range prior to delivery by the makers. After much consideration, I determined a gun accurate enough to shoot MOSTLY sub-moa groups under ideal conditions using currently available pellets should be capable of winning most any field target matches being held in the USA when in capable hands.

The first guns I built in my garage were individually tested by shooting 12 consecutive five-shot groups at the NRA standard A36 target (8x10 inch with 12 scoring bulls). Once completed, the diameter of each group was measured, and the WORST and BEST groups were discounted, with the remaining 10 groups averaged. Any gun firing a Target Card with average above 1 m.o.a. was rejected and the barrel tuned by polish, leade and crown recut, and on occasion, the action tuned further and the gun retested until it was capable of meeting the criteria.

That test was demonstrated to Tim McMurray when he began production of the USFT. However Tim found he had neither time nor patience to do such a rigorous procedure, so I came up with a less tedious test that gave a high confidence level I could live with. The “accuracy test” consisted of firing 25 consecutive shots into a group using the same aimpoint, and seeing if a nickel would cover it.

I soon ended up doing the testing (and fine tuning) for Tim until I just ran out of patience after about the 75th gun because of the tuning needede. Tim then began testing them all himself, and ended up drastically reducing the number of shots required in the group to satisfy himself.

So far as I know, no makers test every production of a given model intended for field use outdoors in the wind, and darned few even test complete guns beyond a very short distance indoors.

Sincerely,
LD

Bobby,

Ive heard your opinion about your original USFT barrel many times, but this is the first ive seen you say it was “far from being selected”!

Well, back in the day when the first of my guns were made, I came up with a barrel selection method that involved shooting a number of consecutive groups in the 51 yard tunnel I designed and constructed at great expense in time and money. When YOUR gun was built, I probably tested it too (in effort to help Tim out), and if I did, it was in the same 51yard tunnel.

Now bear in mind, at that time (and until just a few years ago) NO airguns were being tested at long range prior to delivery by the makers. After much consideration, I determined a gun accurate enough to shoot MOSTLY sub-moa groups under ideal conditions using currently available pellets should be capable of winning most any field target matches being held in the USA when in capable hands.

The first guns I built in my garage were individually tested by shooting 12 consecutive five-shot groups at the NRA standard A36 target (8x10 inch with 12 scoring bulls). Once completed, the diameter of each group was measured, and the WORST and BEST groups were discounted, with the remaining 10 groups averaged. Any gun firing a Target Card with average above 1 m.o.a. was rejected and the barrel tuned by polish, leade and crown recut, and on occasion, the action tuned further and the gun retested until it was capable of meeting the criteria.

That test was demonstrated to Tim McMurray when he began production of the USFT. However Tim found he had neither time nor patience to do such a rigorous procedure, so I came up with a less tedious test that gave a high confidence level I could live with. The “accuracy test” consisted of firing 25 consecutive shots into a group using the same aimpoint, and seeing if a nickel would cover it.

I soon ended up doing the testing (and fine tuning) for Tim until I just ran out of patience after about the 75th gun because of the tuning needede. Tim then began testing them all himself, and ended up drastically reducing the number of shots required in the group to satisfy himself.

So far as I know, no makers test every production of a given model intended for field use outdoors in the wind, and darned few even test complete guns beyond a very short distance indoors.

Sincerely,
LD
I'm really glad you chimed in here, LD.
Mine, Steve M's, and Scott R's rifles came with nice 25 shot groups in your tunnel. Mine was roughly nickel sized... I still have it. At no point have I said it was not accurate... just extremely wind sensitive. That was the reason I came early to one of your matches... to see if we could do something about that. We worked on that barrel as well as another I had purchased from Tim for several hours and neither could come close to my RN10 shooting only 13 ft lb w 8.4s. The barrel I had purchased from Wayne Burns ended up being the keeper and is what I won Open class in the Nationals with.
As a point of reference, I had two other HW's from Tim that were much better... very competitive... fitted to Sandy's ProTarget and my Theoben.
I KNOW how much effort you put into those early ones... tremendous... we are very lucky to be able to own one. The Simple Simons are even moreso...
So many fun times... wish we still could have the endurance to do those things... thank you for all that, LD...
Bob

As a post script, an accurate but wind sensitive rifle can be shot well... just increases the difficulty... myself, Steve, and Scott had our moments... many others as well, I'm sure.

I now own USFT #233 , not much history on it . Purchased it from a guy in St. Louis , selling for the wife of a deceased " big Bill " i think he said . #233 came as a right cant and i swapped it around to a left cant ,red colored wonderful rifle . Came with a slow air leak .
That's all i know about this gun .
P.S. fill it up @ 9 AM let it sit and 9 AM the next day is empty , SO some where near 24 hours to leak out .

Last edited:
I'm really glad you chimed in here, LD.
Mine, Steve M's, and Scott R's rifles came with nice 25 shot groups in your tunnel. Mine was roughly nickel sized... I still have it. At no point have I said it was not accurate... just extremely wind sensitive. That was the reason I came early to one of your matches... to see if we could do something about that. We worked on that barrel as well as another I had purchased from Tim for several hours and neither could come close to my RN10 shooting only 13 ft lb w 8.4s. The barrel I had purchased from Wayne Burns ended up being the keeper and is what I won Open class in the Nationals with.
As a point of reference, I had two other HW's from Tim that were much better... very competitive... fitted to Sandy's ProTarget and my Theoben.
I KNOW how much effort you put into those early ones... tremendous... we are very lucky to be able to own one. The Simple Simons are even moreso...
So many fun times... wish we still could have the endurance to do those things... thank you for all that, LD...
Bob

As a post script, an accurate but wind sensitive rifle can be shot well... just increases the difficulty... myself, Steve, and Scott had our moments... many others as well, I'm sure.
Bobby,

The original barrel in your USFT was tested as I posted above. It was tested for group precision, but many folks call it an accuracy test so I normally go with that. Now bearing in mind great WIND resistance is of pellets is mostly a function of pellet design and barrel compatibility between that lot of pellets at the pressure and velocity tested. Your particular barrel was purchased around 20 years ago due to its great compatibility with the best pellets we had seen, which was the Crosman Premier Heavy, die #2.

No producer of airguns I’ve heard of routinely tests every gun for wind sensitivity, and I’d be at a loss to even figure HOW such a test could be conducted on a practical level for a production run. But that said, your old HW barrel WAS tested and passed by delivering a 25 shot group the size of a nickel. At issue to me is term you used: “selected”, which implies your one was a run of the mill production barrel installed randomly and passed on. The barrels we used were made specially to specs I supplied to Hans Weirauch for the gun I designed. Of the lot of around 125 purchased, I rejected about four or five of nearly 100 tested because I couldn’t get them to shoot acceptably.

My experience is the JSB designs and redesigns tend to buck wind better in these HW barrels than the old Crosman Premiers, but are not as accurate in many cases. I agree the Lothar Poly often shoots JSBs better in wind, but the really good JSBs werent really available when I designed the gun.

Additionally there is this: Many of the barrels were tested twice, first in a special “try gun“ I built to just test the barrels, but sadly, when Tim had them polished and reblued, the rifling was left unplugged, and most shot worse until polished enough to restore accuracy. For this reason some of the best barrels were with rough blued finish or painted finish rather than smooth blued.

Finally, few would argue that 20fpe FT guns shooting JSB rds will always buck wind better than 12fpe FT guns, yet curiously, many big matches are won by WFT shooters if the class is well attended. I feel due to better wind doping skills.

Sincerely,
LD

Reactions: cavedweller
There have been a handful of recent posts that got me thinking I need to finally get around to the review of the USFT that I've been wanting to do for a while now. Questions like "regulated or unregulated" from just a few minutes ago, or the guy a few weeks ago looking for hand-made/high quality airgun related items, or the occasional posts about buying American made airguns, or the steady beat of PCP greenhorns asking how many pumps to fill x gun, or what guns can be filled with a pump, or if a SCUBA tank can be of any use to an airgunner. All of those questions can be answered with a greater familiarity of the USFT, it's design, and operation.

It just dawned on me that even the names of the maker and model of this gun sounds like a confusing jumble of alphabet soup to those unfamiliar with them. For starters, It is made by Tim McMurray, owner of MAC1 airguns out in California. The USFT stands for United Stated Field Target (I think). Tim makes each one, by hand, himself. When I ordered mine, the phone conversation was a little over an hour long. We discussed back and forth what I wanted (what side I wanted the breech to open to, barrel length, tube length, color, type of barrel, caliber, accessories, and other configuration details) and he gave me a time frame. Custom is NOT fast, by the way.

As an intro, the USFT is widely known amongst the field target and benchrest crowd, and equally foreign to the large number of airgunners not involved in the aforementioned competitive events. For that reason, I feel it might be beneficial to share what I've learned about my specimen over the past few years of ownership. And if not beneficial, perhaps at least entertaining, for the USFT is a collection of oddities in airgun design. And it truly looks the part.

View attachment 164954

If ever there was a less gun-looking gun, I'm unaware of it. The USFT appears to be leftovers from what you might find in the bed of a plumbers pickup after a day of replacing pipes. But what it lacks in aesthetic appeal, it more than makes up for in performance and convenience.

A detailed break down of the outstanding performance and rock-steady reliability I've experienced from this gun in the last 3 years is what I hope to achieve through an ongoing series of write-ups. I plan to take it at a leisurely pace, creating new posts as time allows. This won't be the typical "review," as there's no motivation to sell them, so there will be no "hawking of wares" in this series of posts about the venerable USFT.

If I've not got your attention yet, how does a gun that only needs to be filled to 1450psi sound? How bout a gun for which barrel swaps are so easy that 16mm Lothar blanks don't need machined to fit, just whatever smoothing you want to do to the crown? How bout a gun that allows direct access to the rear of the barrel for cleaning? What about a gun with an exposed valve stem that is hit by a revolver-esque hammer that is cocked for each shot? How bout a gun for which no regulator is necessary yet is still capable of competition winning consistency? How bout a gun with the fill port and gauge at the rear so that you don't have to look down the business end of the barrel to fill or check pressure? How bout a gun so simple in it's design that most of us have more fingers than all of the orings in the entire gun? How bout a gun with so many innovative features (when it first came out) that the rumor goes that Mike Nisch used it as inspiration for his Thomas guns? How bout the OG power plenum?

I hope to answer all of those questions and more as I analyze what makes the USFT tic, and the performance the atomic clock of ticking that the USFT is, provides.

More to come.
Ooooooooh I'ma gonna like this! @Franklink

USFT is a very niche gun, that niche being field target. And it does its job extremely well. As much as I enjoy a multi use platform, there's a lot to be said about a dedicated rig like this.

Every time I thought I'd try one of the other rifles in my arsenal for a FT Event this year I regretted it. The USFT is like a well worn but super comfortable shoe. Once you've lived with it for a good few months, you know what it will do, every time.

Every time I thought I'd try one of the other rifles in my arsenal for a FT Event this year I regretted it. The USFT is like a well worn but super comfortable shoe. Once you've lived with it for a good few months, you know what it will do, every time.
It sure did when my wife and daughter used it. Wife used it to win two matches back in the day and she isn't a consistent shooter. Daughter shot 3 perfect scores with it in Unlimited and she doesn't practice.

That USFT is rock solid! Well mine was too.

Reactions: cavedweller
It sure did when my wife and daughter used it. Wife used it to win two matches back in the day and she isn't a consistent shooter. Daughter shot 3 perfect scores with it in Unlimited and she doesn't practice.

That USFT is rock solid! Well mine was too.
I have to thank you for the rifle you sold me (your wifes). It was and still is a shooter and a looker too.

Top one is how I received it. Bottom one how it looks now.
I do not like the looks of the bottle conversion, but it made the rifle more consistent through the Ninja regulator. I am sure I could shoot 200 rounds before needing to refill.

USFT.jpg
Stephan's rig.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to thank you for the rifle you sold me (your wifes). It was and still is a shooter and a looker too.

Top one is how I received it. Bottom one how it looks now.
I do not like the looks of the bottle conversion, but it made the rifle more consistent through the Ninja regulator. I am sure I could shoot 200 rounds before needing to refill.

View attachment 419715View attachment 419716
I can still remember the day I saw my first MAC1 in person. It only confirmed that I needed to have this simple yet accurate and efficient work of art! So when it all comes down to it, I blame you, Stephan. 😁 Love that KTM orange! Also, I started making cuts on that block of laminate that I purchased over a year ago, with the goal of making some new furniture for my #132

I can still remember the day I saw my first MAC1 in person. It only confirmed that I needed to have this simple yet accurate and efficient work of art! So when it all comes down to it, I blame you, Stephan. 😁 Love that KTM orange! Also, I started making cuts on that block of laminate that I purchased over a year ago, with the goal of making some new furniture for my #132

What's the plan with the laminate? A grip and cheek piece or something completely different?

I've wondered about a full length stock, but the logistics make it extremely difficult. The forend would have to be SO thick to contain the airtube....and then trying to incorporate the drop down for the grip and then trying to work around the separate buttpad area.......it'd be tough.

Oh, what color laminate?

Last edited:
What's the plan with the laminate? A grip and cheek piece or something completely different?

I've wondered about a full length stock, but the logistics make it extremely difficult. The forend would have to be SO thick to contain the airtube....and then trying to incorporate the drop down for the grip and then trying to work around the spare buttpad area.......it'd be tough.

Oh, what color laminate?

Right now the plan is to make a stock for the TX 200 and a cheek piece, AR style grip and matching forend with UIT rail for my Mac1. I traced out the tx stock and used my 12” band saw to cut the block in two last night. I plan on making more cuts tomorrow.

IMG_7194.jpeg
IMG_0780.jpeg

Last edited:

I've wondered about a full length stock, but the logistics make it extremely difficult. The forend would have to be SO thick to contain the airtube....and then trying to incorporate the drop down for the grip and then trying to work around the spare buttpad area.......it'd be tough.

Oh, what color laminate?
I forgot to say that I agree and have also thought about the same scenario. Your right I don’t know how it could be done. 🧐