MAC1 USFT Analysis/Overview

An innacurate barrel isn't necessarily the guns fault. Especially if a prior owner didn't care much about the gun and let some moisture turn into a corrosion in the bore.

One of the best features of the USFT design is the ability to swap out barrels. And the kicker here is that those barrels can be nearly blanks and still be tested. VERY minimal barrel work needed for a blank to drop into a USFT....whatever crown dressing is required, and whatever barrel lapping/polishing the owner ascribes to, and the leade can be softened up to make pellets easier to load. But no actual machining of oring grooves, etc. For those truly chasing accuracy, this feature is important enough that it was carried on to other benchrest guns. One of two "identical" barrels will always shoot better than the other. Sorting barrels has proven much more beneficial than sorting pellets in my experience.

Get the leak fixed, and find an accurate barrel, and it'll be just as competitive as anything else in the same fpe class of benchrest.
The 1911 pistol grip will have to be cut off in order to use my PQP rest. On my TargetShooting LP 2000 rest the top capstan wheel has the top at maximum height in order to clear the grip.

A true benchrest gun looks like this in 22lr:

20230921_161730.jpg

Or this in .177 PCP:

20240315_154646.jpg

Last edited:
A real benchrest gun looks like this:

Or this:

Or maybe this?
Screenshot_20240327-162355.png

Or this?
Screenshot_20240327-162431.png

No dog in the benchrest fight as it's not my thing. But I do know there's been some serious benchresting done by USFTs in the past.

And I also have heard more than one rumor that the Thomas was heavily inspired by the USFT. And I can fully believe it, since the Thomas is an updated, modernized, improved version of the USFT. The integral features that make a USFT what it is are there with a Thomas too.

A Thomas is everything the USFT is, with improvements of course.

Reactions: thane and Dairyboy
Hi Guys,

I'd like to join the exclusive Mac 1 club and have a friend willing to sell me his USFT Hunter tuned to 20 fpe with a Ninja regulated bottle that was just fitted by Tim in the last few months. I shot it and it does seem to be accurate, although maybe a little low on shot count at around 40-ish with JSB 13.4 gr's 820 fps. I saw an earlier comment on them typically selling in the $1300 - $1800 range, and was wondering what you think this one might be worth. It is in good condition and numbered in the low-mid 100's. No accessories come with the gun.

Thank you for your experienced opinions.

Scrench

Hi Guys,

I'd like to join the exclusive Mac 1 club and have a friend willing to sell me his USFT Hunter tuned to 20 fpe with a Ninja regulated bottle that was just fitted by Tim in the last few months. I shot it and it does seem to be accurate, although maybe a little low on shot count at around 40-ish with JSB 13.4 gr's 820 fps. I saw an earlier comment on them typically selling in the $1300 - $1800 range, and was wondering what you think this one might be worth. It is in good condition and numbered in the low-mid 100's. No accessories come with the gun.

Thank you for your experienced opinions.

Scrench
I also read where another gentleman thought they are a bargain at $2500. So which is it? I don't want to pay too much and if for some reason can't get along with it have to take a loss on resale. He is asking$1900.

Thanks Again.

O
I also read where another gentleman thought they are a bargain at $2500. So which is it? I don't want to pay too much and if for some reason can't get along with it have to take a loss on resale. He is asking$1900.

Thanks Again.
I ordered my tube gun for $2800 about two years ago. I don’t think 1900 is a bad price if it’s something you really want.

O

I ordered my tube gun for $2800 about two years ago. I don’t think 1900 is a bad price if it’s something you really want.

Inflation.

$2300-2400 is coming to mind for what I paid for the tube version I ordered around 2018. That was with the hamster and extra long "dog bones" and the slow twist poly barrel, which I think was another upcharge.

Reactions: oaks1450
It comes with nothing but a moderator. He is at least the 2nd, maybe 3rd owner, so difficult to tell when it was originally purchased, but it started life as a tube gun.

Maybe If I can get a new one for $2100 that would be the better option, because I would rather have a tube, unregulated version for less potential problems and higher shot count. I'd like to use it for benchrest primarily (75 shots plus sighters) at 25 and 50 meters, but also field target which will involve 60-shot courses, and bench silhouette at 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards.

On the other hand, does anyone know of another USFT coming up for sale? Revelation, even as I write this I realize the one I'm looking at really doesn't suite what I want to use it for.

Last edited:
@Scrench I converted my USFT to a bottle gun. I can easily get 100 shots with a 3000 psi fill. The rifle is set at 20 fpe.

I love the consistency of the Ninja regulator, measuring 10 fps variation in 67 shots. I bored thereafter and stopped. Aesthetically I lost my love for the rifle. The balance also changed so for field target I no longer use the rifle. I happened on a 22 hunter tube rifle that reignites my aesthetic appreciation of the MAC1.
The 22 however highlights the decrease in shot count being a 22 and just a tube gun.

For benchrest I would recommend a bottle gun unless you enjoy topping off after each card. What caliber are you looking for?

@Scrench I converted my USFT to a bottle gun. I can easily get 100 shots with a 3000 psi fill. The rifle is set at 20 fpe.

I love the consistency of the Ninja regulator, measuring 10 fps variation in 67 shots. I bored thereafter and stopped. Aesthetically I lost my love for the rifle. The balance also changed so for field target I no longer use the rifle. I happened on a 22 hunter tube rifle that reignites my aesthetic appreciation of the MAC1.
The 22 however highlights the decrease in shot count being a 22 and just a tube gun.

For benchrest I would recommend a bottle gun unless you enjoy topping off after each card. What caliber are you looking for?

I'll be having some fun with the USFT in the next couple months. A field target friend has a USFT with a barrel that's been giving him trouble, and that barrel came home with me from the last match. I'm going to throw it on my gun and see what's going on. It's also a .177 slow twist poly, so I'm interested to see how it compares to my barrel of the same specs.