MAC1 Disco, budget PCP, or stick to pumpers & springers?

I own a Benjamin trail np1 and 2 (.22's) and a little 760 pump (.177). Sadly I go for the weak pump over the NP's, because they frustrate me so much with the constant missing. I shoot the pump and I'm so much more accurate with that cheap wal-mart gun that I bought for my and my daughter to plink around with but it has to small of power. Inside 10 yards and the sparrow or starling is done, but man is it hard to sneak up on them. My Np1 at one point (bench rested) I was hitting less then .5 inch groups at 30 yards never tried farther cuz I don't need it... That will never happen offhand for me. My stubbornness got me this far (a year of ownership) and I'm tired of not enjoying hunting and shooting, and feeling like I wasted money. So I found a guy selling a Benjamin discovery tuned by Mac1 for $430 with tko muzzle break and hand pump. Is this a reseasonable price? I need some honest/brutal options here, my wife is going to kill me if i buy this and doesn't work out... The plan is to purchase the disco of the individual and sell my NP's make up some of the difference. I need to be able to pump the gun by hand pump is the reason I went with the disco route. If any of you have a better ideas please shot them my way. I feel like an idiot posting this but any help will be deeply appreciated!

Rob

*Modified title to get better results*

I was in the same situation as you are in with the NP. So I went ahead and jumped into PCP and got me a Discovery. and if your just hunting a max distance of 30 yards you cannot go wrong with the Discovery especially at it's price point I don't think you will regret buying one. For me it was a HUGE upgrade from the NP now my Trail just sits and collects dust. Good luck,
Leo :)

Rob - I can tell you that Mac1 is an upstanding guy and does very good work on airguns.
And depending on the hand pump, you could pay $150 - $300 - so the price seems right.
Although you need to know that this "hobby" is more addicting that crack cocaine.
You are unlikely to want to stop here with the purchase of this rifle.
You will more than likely get tired of pumping up the rifle and want an air cylinder.
Then" if I just had a better rifle I could shoot better and farther."
Before you know it you'll working 3 jobs, squirreling the money away and lying to the wife on how that not a NEW rifle it's the same rifle you have always had.

Sorry - but I find it necessary to inform you of the pitfalls you are about to encounter.
If I'm wrong - I'm certain I'll be corrected or this post be removed. 

Good luck on the purchase - Jay

I got one of the original Mrods in .25 and haven't looked back. I haven't handled a Disco but looked very seriously at them for a while thinking it would be a good option for carrying in the squirrel woods (original Mrod with scope is not a light carry). Anything pcp is a HUGE step up in my opinion. The risk of buying unseen is there no matter what you are getting. When you say you found someone does that mean you found it online? If it is in your state it might be worth asking for an in person demonstration or a shooting session to go over the gun. You might feel a lot better just shooting a group with the gun or seeing it in person before dropping the money. If that is not possible I would consider getting something from a dealer. 430 dollars might be a good deal for a tuned machine but it is also a huge waste for a gun that is finicky or doesn't quite feel right. For not a lot more you can pick up a new Mrod with warranty from a dealer and know exactly what you are getting, plus all the benefits of going through a dealer (service packages and guarantees). Personally I think that if you are going to drop the money for something you are going to use on game it has been a great advantage to me to have a quick second or third shot from a clip.
Good luck with it all. Hope you get something you really like. Hard to beat a PCP. 

Everyone makes great points but the only reason I'm hesitant about a Mrod is because I don't wanna rely on going to a air source. I paintball too and when I'm tuning I have to make sure I fill up at my field every time I wanna tinker with the gun. Are there any other options like the disco to consider? I really don't wanna rely on a tank or outside source to enjoy shooting around. Thats why i went with the trail so i could shot all day long without having to leave my house. How much is a tank fill up these days? (when I paint it come with the field fee, as all day fill ups) 

Rob

I have been using a hand pump for my Mrod for years. I don't do a lot of high volume shooting but I also have no source for a scuba tank within 80 miles of me. One option that I have used is the 392. Very decent power for hunting out to about 35 yards, it is just a pain to pump to max pressure for every shot, especially if a second shot is needed quickly. But the Mrod I have in .25 can run 2 mags easy and it takes about 3 to 5 minutes to top off again with a pump. Easy enough as long as you aren't out in the woods. I've wanted to get into tank fills and all that but have found that just using rimfire in the woods and keeping the air rifle for 'yard work' has been a good balance. I've never tuned my marauder but I've found mine to shoot very decent with excellent power so have not needed to degas or tinker with it too much.

The disco is an awesome rifle compared to a springer. I've owned both a disco an an MRod. The difference for me came down to 2 things. Report and Multiple shots. The Disco is loud compared to the MRod. It can, however, be made much more backyard friendly with a TKO. Pumping is a lot easier with the disco and it's 1500 psi fill compared to a 3k fill with the maruader. I think you'd be really happy with either. 

The other option is going to Mike over at flying dragon. I have the xs 60 and it performs well for what it is. About on par with the disco and it was cheap. 

Good luck!

Bob - I am not familiar, specifically, with the Trail NP but I am with springers and there are techniques to shooting them well.
I'm not sure you should give up on it yet.
There are a lot of really good people at this forum that could help you understand the techniques and make shooting piston guns enjoyable.
Just another attempt to keep harmony in the house. :) - Jay

If I were you, looking for a budget pcp, I'd get an Airforce Talon SS .22. From Airguns of Arizona they're $570. I little over your budget, as it sounds, but you'll not be disappointed. It's more accurate and powerful than the Disco. It'll also get more shots with its big air reservoir. Like 50+. You could get an Airforce pump, and you'd be set. The Talon ss .22 is good out to 70 yards, but you could stretch it to 100 if you wanted. It'll smack squirrels dead with ease. Starlings and sparrows will just drop motionless. I hope this helped, and I hope you get this gun because you CANNOT be disappointed with this gun for the price. If 570 is too much, go with a .22 Marauder. I have a Mrod .22 and I get .75" groups at 55 yards.

Everyone,

Thank you all for helping out and opening my eyes to some good options, but as my luck would have it my truck broke this morning and I'll have to put my airgun savings to my ride. On the upside it gives me a good minute to take in all your posts and find the perfect gun for me. And so ill be keeping my springers and see if I can improve my luck with it...if anyone has any good threads for me to read up on please put them my way. Sorry if i made one feel like they wasted there time but I truely appreciate all the input.

Rob