• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

M3 or Maverick sniper

First pcp gun, long time powder burner. Trying to get a .22 with options to upgrade in the future, without going insane on price. Mostly plinking 150yd targets with occasional squirrel, rabbit, pigeon. Possibly turkey if i can nail my shots right. Which one should I go for? Or is there one that I have completely missed? Like I said, trying to get the best I can for 2k, and leave the option for bigger caliber upgrades in the future.

Maverick has fewer moving parts, fewer O-rings, and makes all the power.

I have maverick and love it. I shoot .22 and .30 with it. I've tuned it repeatedly for various projectiles and am very comfortable with the rifle.

Impact looks awesome. Guys I shoot with love them, but don't tune them much at all. I feel maverick was a great 1st air gun for me and am glad I chose it over impact as I have had to replace some O-rings and disassemble the rifle to make internal changes.

Just coming to pcp from powder burners, you might be frustrated with 22 cal in either gun. I'd suggest 25 caliber. Either one will do better with slugs at 150 yards if you choose 25 cal. Even then you should set your expectations lower when compared to how well you shot with powder burners. Even a 223 shooting cartridges will typically shoot flatter and tighter groups and more accurately than with pcp. If you spring for the new Panthera, you might be able to shoot more like you are used to. Just my opinion.

Just coming to pcp from powder burners, you might be frustrated with 22 cal in either gun. I'd suggest 25 caliber. Either one will do better with slugs at 150 yards if you choose 25 cal. Even then you should set your expectations lower when compared to how well you shot with powder burners. Even a 223 shooting cartridges will typically shoot flatter and tighter groups and more accurately than with pcp. If you spring for the new Panthera, you might be able to shoot more like you are used to. Just my opinion.
I was just looking around and saw the panthera, very impressed by the numbers. Only gripe is that I'd have to move the tank up front and get a carry around if I went after the pigeons on the neighbors farm.

Check out High Pressure Pneumatics (a local vendor here in Michigan) They have a modded one that shoots very well or can set one up to suite your needs.

IMG_0880.jpeg
IMG_0881.jpeg

You wont be disappointed by either the M3 or Maverick. I have both and enjoy them both. The M3 is no harder to tune than the Maverick.
My Panthera lost the rear bottle the first hour I owned it. I was wanting a Crown on steroids and I got it. And then some. It is a heavy slug shooter and delivers longer range accuracy beyond my current capabilities. It is forcing me to become a better shooter.
Why didn‘t I retain the rear bottle? Because with the 580 and the 300 it weighed more than an M1 Garand. Not exactly a Hunting gun. Also went with the 600mm barrel in 25 as well.

You wont be disappointed by either the M3 or Maverick. I have both and enjoy them both. The M3 is no harder to tune than the Maverick.
My Panthera lost the rear bottle the first hour I owned it. I was wanting a Crown on steroids and I got it. And then some. It is a heavy slug shooter and delivers longer range accuracy beyond my current capabilities. It is forcing me to become a better shooter.
Why didn‘t I retain the rear bottle? Because with the 580 and the 300 it weighed more than an M1 Garand. Not exactly a Hunting gun. Also went with the 600mm barrel in 25 as well.
What weight do you run on your .25? I was looking at the .25 700mm and running 34g javalin

What weight do you run on your .25? I was looking at the .25 700mm and running 34g javalin
I have run a bunch of stuff through it. Tried the NSA 26.5’s and they were too light. Currently I am burning my way through 800 Zan 33 gr. I only have about 300 more of those left. The gun is set up @ 115 bar with the micro wheel at 1 click past three. It is shooting the 33’s @ 970 fps at this setting and will shoot a group at 50 yards that is one small ragged hole if I do my part.
I have shot some H&N Heavy Slug 38 gr through the gun and they show a lot of promise. All I did was bump the micro wheel to 3.5. Never chronographed them but the gun was very settled and shot a couple very nice groups.
I am planning on trying the Zan 41 grain and their 44 gr boat tail hollow points as well.