Tuning M3 Hypothetical Balance Question...

What's easier on the system as a whole? I'll use arbitrary numbers but I think you'll get the point. Let's say my target speed is 900 fps. The gun is set to 100 bar on the second reg and 16 on the macro wheel. Will moving the reg up to 130 bar and the macro down to 8 allow the gun to work less hard or does it matter? Again, I know I'm being a bit overly simplistic. It's just a question to see how to make the gun work as effortlessly as possible but still get the desired results.

Keith.

well if you watch the boys from south africa they mostly go for max fpe and their stuff seems to hold up. personally depending on cal and ammo i set up so max settings will get a velocity im looking for out of the heaviest projectile i plan to shoot and have a lower setting to shoot lighter projectiles. Your only releasing air down a hole and if you’re projectile goes where you want what more can you ask?

well if you watch the boys from south africa they mostly go for max fpe and their stuff seems to hold up. personally depending on cal and ammo i set up so max settings will get a velocity im looking for out of the heaviest projectile i plan to shoot and have a lower setting to shoot lighter projectiles. Your only releasing air down a hole and if you’re projectile goes where you want what more can you ask?

I see your point. However, in watching videos and reading some posts, I was of the impression that having things in balance was easier on the o-rings and also results in a smoother shot cycle. If I can achieve the same velocities without the gun "kicking" like a cannon, well, that's what I'm after.

I have found that for my M3 and My crown the best speeds for 100 yard MOA shooting with a punch to birds and vermin as big as rabbits is as low as 880 and high as 920. If I get my rifle whether its my 25 or my .30 caliber (usually shoot FX 25 cal 25 grain, and 30 call 44 grain I think that's the tins with the blue writing, don't have one in front of me) that those speeds work perfectly. Again I can shoot MOA at 50 - 100 yards and Im able to take down Birds, squirrels even got a rabbit the other day. Other than that I would agree with solo if you want to hunt something big go the SA way lol. I just havent done so. Usually sit in my back yard, face the desert or if Im at my aunts house In north Scottsdale I can see some birds, rabbits or javelina (the javelina happen to always be attacking so its self defense haha) I can make great kills. 

I have noticed That a higher reg pressure (+/- 135 bar) to achieve a similar velocity has yielded lower extreme spreads, within reason. It also seems that I get a better shot count, even though I can get the same velocity with a reg pressure of 90 bar. It seems that using less hammer tension results in the valve closing sooner and therefore more efficiently. At 90-100 bar, with more hammer it seems there is still air being released after the pellet has left the barrel. This timing is also important to accuracy since continuing to expel turbulent air at the skirt of the pellet exiting the barrel can lead to stabilization issues. Many videos talk about finding the "harmony" or "sweet spot" with an Impact. here's what I do:

Set reg to 135 shoot pellet of choice at various hammer tensions until I get to the velocity that yields best accuracy (9000 for sake of argument). Then add 5 bar of reg and adjust hammer back to the best speed. Repeat this process both above and below the 135 setting until the accuracy is best. It almost always seems to be the most accurate at the same place it is the most efficient. There is a point where the air is not being released after the pellet has left. It will be quieter and smoother at the same velocity. You can actually hear and feel the difference, most importantly, it shows up on the target!

Remember free advice is only worth what you paid for it.

Your mileage may vary, (significantly).

Thanks Lewis. That's the info I was looking for. I also saw that in one of Ted's videos but I couldn't remember which one. And right now I have an ES of 4.3 and an SD of 1.2 so I don't want to touch too many things. I also have a lot of really light slugs I need to shoot before I get something a little heavier. Once I change to a heavier slug, then I will work on the harmony a bit more.

Keith.