FX M3 Consistency After a time stored .. From an FX Hater ( Not )

Many here consider me an FX " Hater" because of negative comments i put forward from time to time.

Well.... i am definitely NOT a "hater" , but i will continue to criticise any aspect i feel could be improved.

Anyway ....... Since implementing my barrel mods some time ago , the enjoyment factor has increased greatly . I have been shooting daily for a while and have been very happy with the results.
I have left the M3 stored for the past week. This morning i pulled it out and set up to shoot some 5 shot groups at 100yds. My routine before firing groups is to shoot 10 shots to settle ...then proceed to shoot the groups.
Shot 3 consecutive 5 shot groups at the 3 plates..... VERY happy with the results..... POI spot on as it was when i put it away :D and group size is excellent..
Slugs are my favourite NSA 27.5gr .218" @ 1060fps

So ..yeah i definitely " Hate " FX..:rolleyes:

20240506_101715.jpgwww.jpg

20240506_101717.jpgwww.jpg

20240506_101721.jpgwww.jpg

20240506_094255.jpgwww.jpg

20240506_101712.jpgwww.jpg

Many here consider me an FX " Hater" because of negative comments i put forward from time to time.

Well.... i am definitely NOT a "hater" , but i will continue to criticise any aspect i feel could be improved.

Anyway ....... Since implementing my barrel mods some time ago , the enjoyment factor has increased greatly . I have been shooting daily for a while and have been very happy with the results.
I have left the M3 stored for the past week. This morning i pulled it out and set up to shoot some 5 shot groups at 100yds. My routine before firing groups is to shoot 10 shots to settle ...then proceed to shoot the groups.
Shot 3 consecutive 5 shot groups at the 3 plates..... VERY happy with the results..... POI spot on as it was when i put it away :D and group size is excellent..
Slugs are my favourite NSA 27.5gr .218" @ 1060fps

So ..yeah i definitely " Hate " FX..:rolleyes:

View attachment 462124

View attachment 462125

View attachment 462126

View attachment 462127

View attachment 462128
I can see why you are a FX Hater ! ! 😉

Nice shooting! The “warm up phenomenon “ with the m3 is real and is a major flaw especially for hunters. I don’t notice the poi change but velocity def needs a warm up. Funny as I just did this very recently. Gun hadn’t been shot for a few weeks. Usually shoots 33.95 910-915. First shot was 888. If I remember correctly shots 2-3 were in the 890’s. 4 was in the low 900’s and wasn’t until shot 5-6 it was up where it should. Once warmed up it’s awesome but for hunting certainly an issue. Really like the m3 but it really is not my favorite gun.

The “warm up phenomenon “ with the m3 is real and is a major flaw especially for hunters.
Its not an FX problem. Many regulated rifles from any manufacturer has the same thing happen. Its from reg creep or sticking orings and can be increased if hammer energy is lower than optimal for the reg setting.

Its not an FX problem. Many regulated rifles from any manufacturer has the same thing happen. Its from reg creep or sticking orings and can be increased if hammer energy is lower than optimal for the reg setting.
In my experience while this is somewhat true the impact is the worst violator of my guns.

In my experience while this is somewhat true the impact is the worst violator of my guns.
Yeah this is something i have just learned to live with... its not a great drama for me as i only target shoot. For someone that "Hunts" who needs a first round hit , its a BIG issue!!

Its a design flaw, even with the new powerplenum and powerblock. There is a big discussion here on the the forum.
@mubhaur makes a modified part that almost eliminates the first slow shot(o ring stiction). If I tune know to the knee, my first shot is just 10 fps lower even when my impact is stored over a week, second shot dead on. I can tune it close to the plateau and it wont have a slower shot, but it consumes more air since it has more hammer

Thread : https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...-reg-creep-quasi-scientific-analysis.1175929/

Video :

I was really about to sell my impact, even i'm not a hunter I want to pick it and shoot it without having 5 warmup shots

Its a design flaw
I never said it isnt a flaw. I said its not an FX flaw it is a flaw that comes with regulators in any brand pcp. If you have a regulated pcp if it starts creeping which it will at some point you are going to have this same issue regardless of manufacturer of the pcp or regulator.

I never said it isnt a flaw. I said its not an FX flaw it is a flaw that comes with regulators in any brand pcp. If you have a regulated pcp if it starts creeping which it will at some point you are going to have this same issue regardless of manufacturer of the pcp or regulator.
Thats true. Sorry didnt mean to attack you ;)

I have seen a lot of posts about POI shift on the M3 and I personally haven't experienced the phenomena. If you don't mind I'd like to give you my take on the FX impact. When they first released the impact in the US I was in love with the design, originally they were advertised in a small case with the barrel seperated from the rest of the gun (very cool) like a hit mans gun from a movie. AOA was selling them at the time and I wanted one. I waited and listened to others who bought them and some said "they leak because of to many O rings among other complaints but yet some found them to be the greatest thing since the toaster. I finally asked a gentlemen working for AOA his thoughts and he replied the problem with the Impact was "user error". I purchased one and it shot lights out right out of the box (.25) shooting the 25gr kings. I didn't touch the adjustments for probably a year. eventually I started plying with it to shoot heavier pellets (34gr). It took me a bit but in the end I was very happy with it. Eventually 4-5 years later I wanted something else and sold it and BTW never replaced a single O ring. Ok so now I recently purchased the M3 in 22 cal. today I reached into my safe pulled it out by the moderator and shot 5 shots to the center and one to each corner just to verify if I was having POI shift and I don't believe I have. these were only 30 yards because I didnt think it would be fair to shoot longer ranges on a windy day like today. You might notice not every shot is perfect but I consider that user error not the gun. Bipod and rear bag and I can see the dot on the scope moving a tiny bit and we all know what that will do down range...Just my 2cents. Just wanted to add no warm up shots.

04.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of posts about POI shift on the M3 and I personally haven't experienced the phenomena. If you don't mind I'd like to give you my take on the FX impact. When they first released the impact in the US I was in love with the design, originally they were advertised in a small case with the barrel seperated from the rest of the gun (very cool) like a hit mans gun from a movie. AOA was selling them at the time and I wanted one. I waited and listened to others who bought them and some said "they leak because of to many O rings among other complaints but yet some found them to be the greatest thing since the toaster. I finally asked a gentlemen working for AOA his thoughts and he replied the problem with the Impact was "user error". I purchased one and it shot lights out right out of the box (.25) shooting the 25gr kings. I didn't touch the adjustments for probably a year. eventually I started plying with it to shoot heavier pellets (34gr). It took me a bit but in the end I was very happy with it. Eventually 4-5 years later I wanted something else and sold it and BTW never replaced a single O ring. Ok so now I recently purchased the M3 in 22 cal. today I reached into my safe pulled it out by the moderator and shot 5 shots to the center and one to each corner just to verify if I was having POI shift and I don't believe I have. these were only 30 yards because I didnt think it would be fair to shoot longer ranges on a windy day like today. You might notice not every shot is perfect but I consider that user error not the gun. Bipod and rear bag and I can see the dot on the scope moving a tiny bit and we all know what that will do down range...Just my 2cents.

View attachment 462324
Please don't be offended by the following..

POI variation is very real with the Impact M3 ...simple as that.

I have 2 M3,s myself one std one modified.
I have 4 friends with M3,s.
I know the a dealer here in Aus who sells FX. The dealer has a customer who shoots bench rest, who is constantly complaining of the POI shift. The dealer himself acknowledges its an "issue" as he is "Honest"

All of my friends M3,s POI shift.
My std M3 has POI shift .
My modded M3 does not.

One of my friends just finished similar barrel mods to what i did....no more POI shift.

Shooting at such close distances of 50yds or less will usually not show the issue as apparent as longer distances. I shoot a minimum of 100yds...POI shift is VERY apparent at this distance.

I am glad you are happy with your results... but the POI issue is real..

I'm glad we can each have opinions and not be upset .Thanks
No reason to get upset but sometimes people do. Based on different reports and my own experiences with pcp rifles theres never a one answer for all questions or problems and people do have different experiences. I live in a low humidity environment but can have 3,000 or more feet of elevation change when shooting. I also live where temperature extremes can change by 70 degrees in a day or two. So my experiences will most likely be different than someone who lives in high humidity, temp stable and no elevation change during shooting. I dont see any difference in poi stability from my FX rifles as I do from my Air Arms, BSA, Daystate or any other pcp I have owned the last 10 years.

I shoot long range or what I consider long range. I have bumped my panthera barrel loading it into my vehicle to drive the 25 miles to work. I pulled it out at break and made a first shot head shot on a ground squirrel at 110 yds. I made several other head shots at 85 yds or further during each break. I pulled it out yesterday at the house after it sitting a week and had no poi change at my 85 yard steel spinner. My Impact has been behaving itself also under the same conditions. I am not saying I have never had a poi change with either rifle. Like I said a sec ago I get poi change with those other pcp rifles in about the same frequency and degree of change as these two FX rifles which is rarely.

Shoot what you like and what works for you. Listen to others experiences in case you need to fall back on that info to fix or understand what could be going on and enjoy the fact you woke up that day and could shoot.

Please don't be offended by the following..

POI variation is very real with the Impact M3 ...simple as that.

I have 2 M3,s myself one std one modified.
I have 4 friends with M3,s.
I know the a dealer here in Aus who sells FX. The dealer has a customer who shoots bench rest, who is constantly complaining of the POI shift. The dealer himself acknowledges its an "issue" as he is "Honest"

All of my friends M3,s POI shift.
My std M3 has POI shift .
My modded M3 does not.

One of my friends just finished similar barrel mods to what i did....no more POI shift.

Shooting at such close distances of 50yds or less will usually not show the issue as apparent as longer distances. I shoot a minimum of 100yds...POI shift is VERY apparent at this distance.

I am glad you are happy with your results... but the POI issue is real..
Will you please share the barrel modes you have done for the knowledge of every member here.

Reactions: qball