FX M3 1 or 2 regs which is better with slugs

One reg or two? You will get compelling arguments from both sides. I work with 610mm barrels and less. I keep my slug weight under 34gr. So I prefer two regs. Only because in my opinion it lets the gun stay on point over a broader pressure range and gives you more wiggle room straying from what single reg guys refer to as “the knee”.

I deleted the first reg and have never looked back. It was a pain having to manage both, and was also completely unnecessary, IMO. Particularly if your intentions are to use the M3 in the upper third or so of its power range (which I imagine most people do). I can see some benefit to a two reg system if either using tank pressures at 300 bar and above (so, not a stock M3), or if wanting to setup to primarily shoot the M3 at low power, but in most cases I would argue a second reg on an M3 is unnecessary.

Reactions: Solo1
I deleted the first reg and have never looked back. It was a pain having to manage both, and was also completely unnecessary, IMO. Particularly if your intentions are to use the M3 in the upper third or so of its power range (which I imagine most people do). I can see some benefit to a two reg system if either using tank pressures at 300 bar and above (so, not a stock M3), or if wanting to setup to primarily shoot the M3 at low power, but in most cases I would argue a second reg on an M3 is unnecessary.
I’m not arguing but just bringing up some points. I converted my Impact MKll’s to two regs and was happier. Bought three M3’s and only touched the first regs on them once after I established where I was going to be working with my second reg. Never an issue after that. I have never filled above 265b. I think some folks treat that first reg like a scab. They just can’t get their mind off it and feel they have to pick at it. Now that I said all of this, I will prepare myself for first reg issues. The Impact life.

I’m not arguing but just bringing up some points. I converted my Impact MKll’s to two regs and was happier. Bought three M3’s and only touched the first regs on them once after I established where I was going to be working with my second reg. Never an issue after that. I have never filled above 265b. I think some folks treat that first reg like a scab. They just can’t get their mind off it and feel they have to pick at it. Now that I said all of this, I will prepare myself for first reg issues. The Impact life.
I keep my 1st reg about the same and havent needed to up my 2nd reg over 135b to shoot .22 27gr slugs 960fps. I have #2 set just under 70b now shooting JSB18's 915 or so. (M3 .22 600mm.) I get 7 mags from a 250b fill. Love that gun!

Reactions: Dairyboy
I keep my 1st reg about the same and havent needed to up my 2nd reg over 135b to shoot .22 27gr slugs 960fps. I have #2 set just under 70b now shooting JSB18's 915 or so. (M3 .22 600mm.) I get 7 mags from a 250b fill. Love that gun!
That sounds like one friendly gun to shoot. A pellet shooting Impact is a great gun.

I have a 2 reg M3 and a single reg MKII. Both hold single digit extreme spreads with no discernable creep. I like both setups but I am working in the middle of the reg pressure ranges to keep them happy. If you want to run 150Bar or more on your rear reg, you dont really have a choice. Stock FX regs max out at 150-160Bar according to FX and Mr Ernest Rowe. And since you want a ~20Bar differential, you need to either delete the front reg or upgrade to something with a higher operating pressure range. I like the 2 reg M3, but use it on my 22Cal Compact at moderate settings and like the added safety when filling to 270-280Bar. My single reg MKII has a High Pressure Huma reg that is happy at the 150Bar I need for 25Cal slugs. I could go much higher but there is no need to beat up the internals for a little more performance. I dont know that there is a blanket answer as to which is best. Like most things in this life you are faced with choices and compromises on the two setups.

Reactions: coastal drifter
Well after fighting with the first reg for a couple days, it just won’t stay consistent unless i set it wide open, i ordered a reg delete for $30 instead of buying a new reg for $65. I figure they worked several years with 1 reg and the regs are better built now so 1 less thing to go bad.
What issue is a first reg that won’t stay consistent causing? No matter what your first reg is doing your second reg should settle on its set point. Unless the first regs inconsistency gets too close to the seconds set point. Then it could take a little longer. I look at the first reg like an infantryman. It takes a bullet for the second reg. No matter where it’s set. I was shooting 165b before I installed a L-tech and was still using my first reg. I’ve always been perplexed with all the negative fuss over the first reg and maybe I need enlightened.

What issue is a first reg that won’t stay consistent causing? No matter what your first reg is doing your second reg should settle on its set point. Unless the first regs inconsistency gets too close to the seconds set point. Then it could take a little longer. I look at the first reg like an infantryman. It takes a bullet for the second reg. No matter where it’s set. I was shooting 165b before I installed a L-tech and was still using my first reg. I’ve always been perplexed with all the negative fuss over the first reg and maybe I need enlightened.
I agree with you on this. For the life of me I can't see how a slightly, or even horribly inconsistent first reg affects the shot if the second reg is consistent. An inconsistent first reg is no different than having no first reg and the bottle pressure, which will be lower after every shot, is what's arriving at the second reg.

For instance the first reg varies between 150-160, so that is what arrives at the second reg. Now remove that first reg. Bottle filled to 250, as you shoot is goes down to 150 over the course of your shooting day. How is a 100 bar swing not affecting the shot but a 10 bar is??????

I think people just fixate and consistency. If it's not there it drives some crazy, whether that particular thing affects the goals or not.

Reactions: balver
I agree with you on this. For the life of me I can't see how a slightly, or even horribly inconsistent first reg affects the shot if the second reg is consistent. An inconsistent first reg is no different than having no first reg and the bottle pressure, which will be lower after every shot, is what's arriving at the second reg.

For instance the first reg varies between 150-160, so that is what arrives at the second reg. Now remove that first reg. Bottle filled to 250, as you shoot is goes down to 150 over the course of your shooting day. How is a 100 bar swing not affecting the shot but a 10 bar is??????

I think people just fixate and consistency. If it's not there it drives some crazy, whether that particular thing affects the goals or not.
Well first of all i could not get the first reg to stay set above 160 bar. If i tried to make any amout of adjustment above 160 it would go to bottle pressure. At 160 at shot it would drop to about 130 and took a very long time to get back to 160 sometimes sometimes it would recover more quickly and the next shot would be very slow. I took the reg out and now you can hear the plenum fill and shoot as fast as you like and instead of having sd’s of 10-15 i have a sd of 1 so whats wrong with that? Oh and just for info sake when i talked to the guy at utah he said his m3 has no first reg either. Said it was 1 less thing to go wrong.

Last edited:
Well first of all i could not get the first reg to stay set above 160 bar. If i tried to make any amout of adjustment above 160 it would go to bottle pressure. At 160 at shot it would drop to about 130 and took a very long time to get back to 160 sometimes sometimes it would recover more quickly and the next shot would be very slow. I took the reg out and now you can hear the plenum fill and shoot as fast as you like and instead of having sd’s of 10-15 i have a sd of 1 so whats wrong with that?
I wasn't referring to your issues. I was referring to statements that actual shots were inconsistent due to fluctuations in the first reg. That could occur in your instance if there isn't enough time to get the proper pressure to the second reg with a faulty first reg. In your instance I wouldn't hesitate to delete that first reg.

Reactions: Solo1
Well first of all i could not get the first reg to stay set above 160 bar. If i tried to make any amout of adjustment above 160 it would go to bottle pressure. At 160 at shot it would drop to about 130 and took a very long time to get back to 160 sometimes sometimes it would recover more quickly and the next shot would be very slow. I took the reg out and now you can hear the plenum fill and shoot as fast as you like and instead of having sd’s of 10-15 i have a sd of 1 so whats wrong with that? Oh and just for info sake when i talked to the guy at utah he said his m3 has no first reg either. Said it was 1 less thing to go wrong.
That’s an interesting issue. I would have addressed it also. Mine are all set 170-190b and stay there. Well at least I think. I rarely look at them. My second reg refresh times are around 5 seconds.

I have the same issue with the 160bar or full bottle preassure, ive ended up with just full bottle preassure and it works fine. But in my case the issue with the slow filling is that I dont have the right bottle valve to use on my m3, I took my bottle from my crown mk2 and at that time i didnt know that the m3 needs a sleeve to put on the valve pin that push against the 1st reg, without it it wont open the valve completely, so I had to turn that valve protector thing all the way out so it pushes the pin more, if you understand.