LW barrel for FX

Has anyone fit a LW barrel on an FX? I’ve got an impact in .25 that doesn’t get along too well with slugs. To say I’m bummed and frustrated would be an understatement. Been looking at all of the great success folks have with the taipan Vet with LW barrels and it gave me the idea... yeah yeah, just buy a Vet, that easy, but no, i don’t want to get rid of my impact. I love the adjustability and flexibility. So if anyone has any info on if this can be done, please by all means share!

Has anyone fit a LW barrel on an FX? I’ve got an impact in .25 that doesn’t get along too well with slugs. To say I’m bummed and frustrated would be an understatement. Been looking at all of the great success folks have with the taipan Vet with LW barrels and it gave me the idea... yeah yeah, just buy a Vet, that easy, but no, i don’t want to get rid of my impact. I love the adjustability and flexibility. So if anyone has any info on if this can be done, please by all means share!

What .25 liner and what slugs?

After trying all the .22 variants even the slug liners can be very fussy, none but the 26's shot in mine.

As BB says above yes I have fitted a .177 LW to a Crown, by using the brass TP and threading it directly onto the barrel, BB has some ideas for doing it an even simpler way.

I bought a 0.30 LW 700 mm blank barrel 1:16 twist without chock for my new impact mkii.( for fx slug liner I should wait more than a year in my country!) I didn’t fit it yet in the gun ( I am a worker in another country and waiting for my vacations) . Do you think I will have any luck with slugs? The only slugs I can find in the local market are NSA. I am really wondering if these slugs can give good results with no chock. With my Wolverine hilite 303 ( 1.18 twist chocked) I have good results with NSA with many different grains.Any opinion will be appreciated .

No but i would recommend the tj barrel.1.18 twist.mike from rat sniper slugs machines them and also has it on his impact alex.buy the way thats for a 25 call impact

Well you see, i ordered a small order of 50 slugs from mike in December. SEVERAL times I’ve been told he was going to send them out “this week” and still no slugs. Now he doesn’t reply to me emails... horrible customer service, and if that were to happen with a barrel that I’m sure he’d charge close to $200 for, I’d be super upset. Already discourage anyone from buying his slugs, not for the fact that he is slow, but because he continues to promise me something and can’t come through.

Why not get the slug liner for your impact. Spend hundreds on a lw and machining to fit the impact to find out it shoot slug like crap. I rather go for the slug liner if you wanting to shoot slugs.

I have the slug liner. Had the early 600mm .22 liners and now have a 700mm .25 liner. Neither will shoot up to my standards for hunting so I’m looking to change that.

I have a Verminator MK2 in .177, came with a 50 cm ST barrel. The Vermintor has 3 power settings Power 1 +/- 7,5 fp/e, P2 12,5 fp/e, P3 19 fp/e. 

On high power it grouped verry well but on medium and low it was a disaster. Same rsults for the FX Bobcat .22 . The ST barrels need higher speeds imo...

So I had a friend machined a LW chocked barrel for my Verminator and the problem was solved.
1560148999_14272973435cfdfc079772f5.72716870_IMG_20160522_175231442_HDR.jpg

I think your best bet would be to get in touch with Nick at NSA and see what he recommends . If youre absolutely set on getting a LW barrel the guys at JSAR ( Jefferson state air rifles ) has them in stock both choked and non choked . They are focusing on their new Raptor rifle so I’m not sure how long or if they are willing to do the machining . I Personally have not had much luck shooting slugs from a .25 cal LW barrel . A .257 on the other hand from a TJ’s barrel 1:14” twist with a variety of different slugs from 60 grain to 85 grain that will reliably shoot under an 1” at 100 yards . Unfortunately the guys at FX didn’t design the Impact for long bullets . I do have some hand cast 39gn .224 cal slugs that shoot great from the ,22 X slug liner when sized to bore . 

This brings up another good point , have you been sizing your slugs ? Have you tried slugging your barrel to see what size bullet it takes ? Having a bullet +/- .001 “ off will have huge effects on accuracy . Every barrel is different and testing different sizes and weights at different speeds is crucial . Don’t give up , just do more testing . I’m sure you’ll find something that will work without having to resort to having a custom barrel machined to fit . 

Unfortunately the guys at FX didn’t design the Impact for long bullets.

Not entirely accurate.

It shoots long slugs just fine. Only glitch is they don't fit in the magazine.

I shoot the VK 40gr slugs in mine with incredible results. I just have to single load them.

He might mean long .25 slugs which definitely wont work in the impact. My MP molds 6.35 work in the magazine and sst of course but once you get to 50+gr probably won't work with impact. Good thing I have a Boss too ;)

BobO, 40 gn in .22 is not what I would consider long . Like Glem mentioned I meant loading in the magazine . I’m sure the X slug liner would do well with bullets up to 45gn but after that a faster twist rate would be better . I can see even at 40gn if the speed isn’t right they start keyholeing ( If that’s a word) at longer ranges . I’ve looked into guns with the longest magazine possible in both 25 and 22 with the Evanix AR series and Sumatra are about the only two with magazines long enough for heavy slugs . I’ve actually converted a Winchester 70-35 to .257 just so I can have a mag fed big bullet shooter . It will take the 257420 bullet at .6” long .the Evanix K550 will take a bullet up to .520 after a bit of material removal. I know I’m a bit of a rookie here on AGN but I’ve been modifying , shooting and hunting with air rifles for the better part of the last ten years . The only real reason , I’ve posted at all here was because of my recent purchase of an FX Impact and this seems about the only place with any info on it . That and I like to add my .5 cents ( that’s canadian for 2 cents) to help others . Now if I were interested in a powerful bullet shooter in either 22 or 25 there are much better options than the impact with its modest power.