• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lubrication ?

Use pure silicone anywhere O-rings slide on something. Silicone oil for dynamic O-rings...those that slide like a bolt or breech O-ring, fill probe O-rings, etc.. Silicone grease for static O-rings...aids with assembly.

Silicone oil is sold inexpensively as "silicone shock oil" for RC cars. Silicone grease is sold inexpensively as automotive dielectric grease.

Not only is silicone an excellent lubricant for O-rings, it is also non-combustible.

However do NOT use silicone where metal touches metal. It is a terrible lubricant for metal on metal.

Silicon grease. Get yourself a big tube of this stuff...
SuperLube synthetic grease is not a silicone-based lubricant and it is extremely flammable. It is good for metal on metal.

Note you don't want either oil or grease on a PCP hammer if you can help it. The changing viscosity with temperature will tend to cause velocity swings, and it can also cause a vacuum or air cushion symptom in some PCPs. Better to deburr and smooth the hammer and tube and burnish in a dry lube like graphite, molybdenum disulfide, or tungsten disulfide.

Use pure silicone anywhere O-rings slide on something. Silicone oil for dynamic O-rings...those that slide like a bolt or breech O-ring, fill probe O-rings, etc.. Silicone grease for static O-rings...aids with assembly.

Silicone oil is sold inexpensively as "silicone shock oil" for RC cars. Silicone grease is sold inexpensively as automotive dielectric grease.

Not only is silicone an excellent lubricant for O-rings, it is also non-combustible.

However do NOT use silicone where metal touches metal. It is a terrible lubricant for metal on metal.

SuperLube synthetic grease is not a silicone-based lubricant and it is extremely flammable. It is good for metal on metal.

Note you don't want either oil or grease on a PCP hammer if you can help it. The changing viscosity with temperature will tend to cause velocity swings, and it can also cause a vacuum or air cushion symptom in some PCPs. Better to deburr and smooth the hammer and tube and burnish in a dry lube like graphite, molybdenum disulfide, or tungsten disulfide.
I second this opinion, I have had all sorts of issues using liquid lubricants on trigger packs on air guns.

Reactions: Goose07
"SuperLube synthetic grease is not a silicone-based lubricant and it is extremely flammable. It is good for metal on metal."
I'm a little confused on this. It sounds like a lot of air gunners use it for o-ring lube unless I'm mis-understanding some the replies. I thought that's what it was for as well. Just want to make sure everyone is using the safe lubes. I use Danco silicone grease from HD for all my o-ring work and a couple of other lubes for metal-to-metal applications.

Well, Super Lube is an advertising term encompassing a range of different lubricants, some of which are silicone but the #21030 linked on Amazon is not.

torch test - annotated.jpg

Warning: if doing any of your own testing, do not breathe the fumes from anything containing PTFE as it is toxic.

Montana brand gun grease for me, the one that comes in a syringe type applicator, is what I use in sliding metal to metal parts like cocking blocks, trigger areas, and on cocking arm linkages. I used to use FP10 on the cocking arm linkages till one day the pin at the joint fell out so no more of that.

I use dry slide bike chain lube on hammer springs, valve return springs, hammer weights, and hammers. Sprays on wet and instantly dries and leaves a thin film of a dry moly type coat. Looks more like a graphite. Does not collect moisture or dust.

For HPA internals, divers silicone grease and for oil, treadmill mat oil which is 100% silicone and has a slightly thicker viscosity.

FP10 is used mainly now in my barrels after a polish and wax job.

MP5 is a great product to have on hand, also.

For gun wipe down and pellet lube, I use Strikehold.

The big key, whatever you decide to use, is to apply very sparingly. Thin coats, no lubes just drizzling all over the place

Last edited: